Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Nobles  (Read 1844 times)

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom Nobles
« on: November 14, 2017, 06:01:45 am »

There are quite a bunch different noble positions in Dwarf Fortress by default (18) and I don't really like nobles that much.. however some of them has actual good functions (like broker and bookkeeper) plus additional stress relieving functions (commoners complaining to the mayor about problems).

I'd like to merge a bunch of noble positions together. Only one I've done so far is to merge Broker, Bookkeeper and Manager together into one unique position.

I was thinking of merging Count/Baron/Duke together into a noble position. Perhaps increase the amount of such nobles that can exist in my fortress?
Could I get some pointers on how I should go on about this?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Custom Nobles
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:24:48 pm »

I normally mod in some Counsellors nobles with something like AS_NEEDED for the number or make it can have up to 3-5. And they do just that Meet with workers that way there is normally a few people in a large fort people can complain too

I leave Manager alone, and also let him meet with workers (one more person to yell at doesn't hurt, plus he's a manager it's his job)

Broker and Bookkeeper I merge (who better to peddle the wares than the guy that knows every grain of rice in the stockpile and stuck in Urist's beard.

I tend to leave the Land holders alone, because I like the fluff of your little fortress becoming a noticeable land.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 06:42:43 am »

I normally mod in some Counsellors nobles with something like AS_NEEDED for the number or make it can have up to 3-5. And they do just that Meet with workers that way there is normally a few people in a large fort people can complain too

I leave Manager alone, and also let him meet with workers (one more person to yell at doesn't hurt, plus he's a manager it's his job)

Broker and Bookkeeper I merge (who better to peddle the wares than the guy that knows every grain of rice in the stockpile and stuck in Urist's beard.

I tend to leave the Land holders alone, because I like the fluff of your little fortress becoming a noticeable land.

Yeah, I was thinking of adding nobles that aren't as overwhelmingly NOBLE as the duke/count/baron etc. Make it more even throughout the race's hierarchy with the monarch being the only position that'll request/demand a lot of stuff.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:01:20 am »

I mean, other than doing it because you can, why not just make the same dwarf both the bookkeeper and the broker without modding? I do it all the time.  I guess its like... a little extra work to do it this way once you've already figured out how to mod them together, but still.

For fun you could make a "patron" level noble who demands production of goods but has no land title or anything if you wanted to make another dwarf who gets pissed at nothing being made.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 08:59:14 am »

For fun you could make a "patron" level noble who demands production of goods but has no land title or anything if you wanted to make another dwarf who gets pissed at nothing being made.
That'd be fun for sure but not the type of fun I am looking for. Looking for less whiny nobles.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 02:48:13 am »

But yeah, I'd like to have some sort of "low-tier" noble position instead of a few "high-tier" ones. With more individual being able to become that position at any given time. Was thinking of going with the name "Anointed". Unsure what sort of tags I'd use for them.

Added RAW. Opinions?

[POSITION:ANOINTED]
  [NAME:anointed:anointed]
  [SPOUSE_MALE:anointed consort:anointed consort]
  [SPOUSE_FEMALE:anointed consort:anointed consort]
  [LAND_HOLDER:1]
  [LAND_NAME:a fief]
  [NUMBER:5]
  [RESPONSIBILITY:LAW_MAKING]
  [RESPONSIBILITY:RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS]
  [RESPONSIBILITY:MEET_WORKERS]
  [SUCCESSION:BY_HEIR]
  [APPOINTED_BY:MONARCH]
  [PRECEDENCE:40]
  [SPECIAL_BURIAL]
  [SLEEP_PRETENSION]
  [FLASHES]
  [BRAG_ON_KILL]
  [CHAT_WORTHY]
  [DO_NOT_CULL]
  [KILL_QUEST]
  [COLOR:5:0:0]
  [ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
  [DUTY_BOUND]
  [DEMAND_MAX:1]
  [REQUIRED_BOXES:2]
  [REQUIRED_CABINETS:1]
  [REQUIRED_RACKS:1]
  [REQUIRED_STANDS:1]
  [REQUIRED_OFFICE:500]
  [REQUIRED_BEDROOM:500]
  [REQUIRED_DINING:500]
  [REQUIRED_TOMB:500]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:52:05 am by se05239 »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 08:50:22 am »

you sure you want demands? Demands is like "I want a green glass window in my dinning room!" and the wiki states there is no issue in ignoring it. Mandates however are the "make 20 cups!" and "don't export books!" in not fulfilling these mandates punishment will be issued.

Edit you can also NEST a CODE and SPOILER for your code like so

Code: [Select]
[spoiler][code]Code to share[/ code][/ spoiler] remove the space between the keywords and the '/'s
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:52:22 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 09:57:59 am »

you sure you want demands? Demands is like "I want a green glass window in my dinning room!" and the wiki states there is no issue in ignoring it. Mandates however are the "make 20 cups!" and "don't export books!" in not fulfilling these mandates punishment will be issued.

Edit you can also NEST a CODE and SPOILER for your code like so

Code: [Select]
[spoiler][code]Code to share[/ code][/ spoiler] remove the space between the keywords and the '/'s
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unless you ignore the justice system. In which case,.only unhappy thought.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 01:57:57 pm »

I am not sure. I kinda like them to be one step above commoners/administrators but nowhere near count/baron/duke in terms of elitism. Custom race I am using in Fortress mode is more humble with its nobility. Was thinking of replacing the extremely few-numbered count/baron/duke nobles with this more numerous noble position but I am unsure what tags I'd use. I don't exactly want the nobles to start spawning in at embark but I don't want to wait until I managed to get a massive export industry going either.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 06:37:43 am »

There are quite a bunch different noble positions in Dwarf Fortress by default (18) and I don't really like nobles that much.. however some of them has actual good functions (like broker and bookkeeper) plus additional stress relieving functions (commoners complaining to the mayor about problems).

I'd like to merge a bunch of noble positions together. Only one I've done so far is to merge Broker, Bookkeeper and Manager together into one unique position.

I was thinking of merging Count/Baron/Duke together into a noble position. Perhaps increase the amount of such nobles that can exist in my fortress?
Could I get some pointers on how I should go on about this?

I think the only issue is combining military strategy token at a civ level with establish colony trade agreements/trade at civ level.

Aside from that I think you can combine all functions into a single token.  Oh and you have to make sure there a civ-level position with military goals token or else the civ will self-destruct through infighting among it's sites.