Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary Dwarf Fortress Lite v0.04 alpha for 44.02  (Read 11910 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary Dwarf Fortress Lite v0.04 alpha for 44.02
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:08:44 pm »

Legendary Dwarf Fortress - Lite - v0.4a

Welcome to my newest embarked on project.  Legendary Dwarf Fortress is a multi race; fortress playable; adventure playable mod pack based on the works of ZM5, Grimlocke, and various other modders.  Its thematically a Warcraft/Dragon's Dogma cross over that plans to flesh out all the various entities provided to us by the ZM5 mod packs. 

Links:
https://github.com/LegendaryDwarfFortress/LDF-Lite

downloads:
https://github.com/LegendaryDwarfFortress/LDF-Lite/releases

What is in this pack? Why is it called LDF-Lite?
Well this is a standard style mod pack that can be installed on top of your own architecture setup.  It requires you to have a DF 44.02 and DFHack 44.02a-r1 (additionally TWBT for 44.02 if you wish up to you).  this is just the layout of my hack scripts and data, along with my raw codes, a few of my own graphics are added in (I'm not great at it but I'm working on it). all of them are stored in their correct position, so it should unpack properly for whatever OS you are using.

Goals:
  To create several different styles of fortress play unusual to standard DF game play and ability. Recognizing the collaborators who have worked so hard on the Mods that are included in this pack!

So what's included?

Fully Installed:
ZM5's WC/DD Mod pack
ZM5's Cave Revamp
Grimlocke's Historic Arms and Armor
Current work from Me, Amostubal discussed below.

Additionally a plan has been laid out to create playable fort modes through several entities of ZM5 and new ones planned by Amostubal.

Currently, the initial work is Dwarf Fort Mode, This is an initial push, an alpha, the full product really isn't produced yet and work is moving along as fast as possible. 

this release is mainly to show that I am working on it, and I will try to ramp up my production rate as I start to get more feedback.

additional Information in next few posts!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:10:43 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Dwarf Fortress v00.00.01 alpha version 1
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:23 pm »

Current Status:

Dwarf Fortress Mode:
Guild System -
 12 guilds that a Dwarf can join but not leave once a member:  Merchants, Carpenters, Masons, Crafters, Smiths, Farmers, Healers, Jewelers, Alchemists, Engineers, Legionnaires, and Marksdwarfs. Guild halls provide options for training and testing potential members. Guilding reduces learn rates in non-guild skills and increase rates in guild skills.
Market -
 sell and buy shop of commodities, such as meat, fish, wood, flux, coke, etc.
Storehouse -
 Stores common materials, stones, wood, bars and coins, for later recall.
Furniture Shop -
 utilizes stone blocks, wood blocks, metal bars, and bones to create furniture sets and furniture.
Refinery -
 a shop that refines ores for future smelting, refined ores produce more bars.
    Wood Sawmill - Creates 2 to 3 planks per wood log
    Stonemill - Creates 6 to 8 blocks per stone
    Floating Glass Furnace - Mass raw glass, blocks, and windows.

Systems:
Revamped Smelter system -
 the smelter is replaced with the Dwarven Furnace, Metallurgist, and Blast Furnace in Dwarves.  Other Races will have their own smelters that interact with the Smelter system.

Pipe System - pipe-dreams v 1.0
 Buildings:
  Pipe in 4 lengths(1x,3x,5x,10x) in N/S & E/W variations.
  Connection Pipe - corners and vertical sections.
  Water Pump - allows water input to a pipe system.
  Magma Pump - allows magma input to a pipe system.
  Water Generator - removes water from a pipe system.
  Magma Generator - removes magma from a pipe system.
 This system pulls liquids from a created sink and allows you to store it in pipes, that later can be drawn from to drop liquids elsewhere.  These pipes do move through floors so no need to channel through multiple floors, just a stairwell beside the path you want to build the pipes.  Magma Pumps require a hole in the floor. generators drop fluid on the floor below them at just one square N|S|E|W of the shop.

And I know that seems like a short list but I haven't had the time to update my code as fast as I wanted, but I plan to ramp my code rate sooner than later. 

Current Issues:  I haven't laid out the actual image of new buildings... so currently yes the buildings will be a series of tiles numbered 0-9,a-z.  this will be fixed in a future edition...  really I plan to have fully drawn rooms that will have overrides instead of individual items in each tile.  But that is up to how fast I get a working artist completing the job.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:11:57 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:49 pm »

Future Plans:
I've decided the next thing I want to do is a rework of Kobolds, mainly because I love Kobolds and well I think it would be fun.  I planning on basing them a bit on other people's work, but with a few of my own twists.  Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:14:05 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:10:14 pm »

Where do you fit in?

Well we are always interested in seeing new things from the community. If you're interested in adding to this collaboration just contact me.  Either here in the forums are in discord.  Things "we" are interested in:

Normal Creatures that fit into the current DF/WC/DD crossover style.  I'm not so interested in extra FB/Titans/etc.  There is plenty big baddies in ZM5s stuff already.

Graphics, etc - If you are into drawing and you would like to see your work represented when we get our launcher fully functioning, send it on over. If you have some cool images/artwork/etc. you want to share go for it, we may use it in the future.

Entity coding - if you have a version of some of these civ entities mentioned above and want to share what you did, we will review it. If it fits in style and theme of the pack we may use your work instead of trying to create our own.

Assistance with setting up a pack base for Linux and MacOS. If your using those systems and can handle settin up DF/DFHack/TWBT in those systems and uploading to github, well we are interested in your abilities.  If your also capable of programming/compiling in C++ for Linux or MacOS, then we will need those skills eventually.

And any other cool stuff you just think we can't live without... I'm sure you know what I'm talking about it's write there in that folder on your system you have been thinking about pasting everywhere!

In the End, thank you for all of your support over the last year through everything else I've worked on.  And I hope you join me on this new adventure.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 10:10:44 pm »

<Held For Future Use>
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:37:36 pm »

Congratulation on your first Legendary release, and good luck!

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 04:42:35 pm »

launcher is being developed in a cross platform language
For a brief moment, I read this to mean the launcher will be available in multiple languages. Obviously this isn't what you meant, but nevertheless should you require help with translation at some point, I can help with German, Swedish, and Norwegian.

I look forward to what comes of this, especially some of the 'Beyond' stage content. Good luck.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Dwarf Fortress v0.02 alpha
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:00:12 pm »

Update!

main feature added Pipe-dreams take a look in the machines and have fun with it!
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

tranquilham

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANSLATION:OWO]
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Dwarf Fortress v0.02 alpha
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 02:48:11 pm »

posting to watch, id be interested in helping with the succubus civ (if i have the motivation/free time)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Dwarf Fortress Lite v0.04 alpha for 44.02
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 07:16:05 pm »

Newest version is a lite version, you will need to set up your own DF and DFHack for it.  It contains the changes for 44.02.  Basically now you can set up DF for whatever OS you have and try it out.  I'll continue with this format until DF and DFHack is deemed stable.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 05:35:38 pm »

Hmm, this really looks like a lot of fun but I'm finding it unplayably crash-prone. I understand that its partially to be expected with a pre-release dfhack, but I'm getting crashes particularly during the first unpause (space = crash button :P ) and then consistently when trying to start a new embark on that world. That is, after it crashed the first time the world became unusable and would crash 100% of the time when it tries loading the world for a new embark. DFHack 'exportlegends' also caused errors but didn't crash, however again that may be a DFHack issue?

The errorlog is relatively clean however, just a few raw duplication errors.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that during world gen a lot of friendly/peaceful civs get wiped out and frequently you get worlds where the only playable civ is Forsaken.

Anyways in concept (and from all the manuals I spent a few hours reading before actually playing) this mod looks great but I have yet to get it to work past the first unpause.

update: Ive gotten an embark to not crash for half a season, the embark conditions were less-than-ideal but its definitely playable so sorry if the last bit was just my fault
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:34:43 pm by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 07:56:21 am »

Hmm, this really looks like a lot of fun but I'm finding it unplayably crash-prone. I understand that its partially to be expected with a pre-release dfhack, but I'm getting crashes particularly during the first unpause (space = crash button :P ) and then consistently when trying to start a new embark on that world. That is, after it crashed the first time the world became unusable and would crash 100% of the time when it tries loading the world for a new embark. DFHack 'exportlegends' also caused errors but didn't crash, however again that may be a DFHack issue?

The errorlog is relatively clean however, just a few raw duplication errors.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that during world gen a lot of friendly/peaceful civs get wiped out and frequently you get worlds where the only playable civ is Forsaken.

Anyways in concept (and from all the manuals I spent a few hours reading before actually playing) this mod looks great but I have yet to get it to work past the first unpause.

update: Ive gotten an embark to not crash for half a season, the embark conditions were less-than-ideal but its definitely playable so sorry if the last bit was just my fault

I'm sorry to hear this.. I've tried to do work on this for the past week or so, but I've been bed ridden with pneumonia this last week or so, I'm back up and runing now, but I'm really only at may 30% functioning.

It sounds like you downloaded an in between version while switching to 44.02, I had missed several errors that didn't initially show up to me... I had to make a lot of changes to clean it up.  So my suggestion is to download the last version released before I had to sleep this illness off, because I cleared a lot of bad errors out on it.  IF that one is still giving you the problems, then let me know I'll look into it. 

The fact was that .3->.4->.5 was fixing the switch to 44.02 and correcting errors in updating ZM5 mods to the pack... so there is definitely a possiblity that if you got .4 that all of the errors I failed to spot in the update in between caused what you claimed.  The 0.5 is running on my side with almost no problem ( My personal worst issue, is that my length of time spent with the same DF game running even if paused, eventually causes a memory cascade crashing the game, but I'm leaving the game running on a system that is never turned off, and It may be up for 20 or 30 years of in game time, when I'm testing in game things...  Just a fort set in auto loop with all the pause factors turned off and workflows keeping food and drink supplies going, and military and hunters waiting for potential fun).

Additionally, Its an alpha set of mods..I'm still tweaking new stuff in, discovering errors, and creating new content and the pace has been slow even without the sickness to try and catch all the errors I can find. 
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

chilller6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 07:39:20 pm »

any news?