Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding non lethal weapons for your civ, and giving emotions to captives.  (Read 2034 times)

UristMcCrumen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello.
After returning to DF and thinking about all the lovely mods that were out, I wanted to ask some questions (as I am totally not experienced with modding) about modding some type of less-than lethal options, because I find myself often trying to take invaders alive for roleplay purposes instead of murdering them with extreme prejudice....
I wont deny I didnt do that, the wiki tempted me too bad but getting back on point I have a couple of questions.

1) Ceasing hostilities after an enemy get knocked unconscious

Would it be possible to make that if somehow my dwarves knock an enemy unconscious with the aid of a blunt weapon for example a modded "baton", DFHack somehow alter the hostilities of them and the enemy combatant, so that they dont finish it off while it is K.O? (and add a PET tag so that the enemy creature can get dragged)

I have had some ideas I guess with the [NOT_LIVING] tags but the problem is that my dwarves would be immune to death by bleeding, and it's not what I was looking for. The next option I was considering  was  NATURE and AT PEACE WITH WILDLIFE tags, making that my dwarves have the NATURE tag by default and K.O enemies have AT PEACE WITH WILDLIFE (removing the tag from elves to avoid problems)

Would this be feasible?

2) Net weapon that summon a wrestling "net creature" against the enemy, resulting in them being caged if they lose the fight

Is it feasible to make a ranged weapon that upon projectile hit, would spawn a "net" creature that somehow wrestle the enemy creature and tire it in to submission?
I know this sounds weird but I am asking this to simulate some sort of resistance from the opposition, so that they could for example use edged weapons to cut apart "lower-material" nets.

For istance my idea was to mod an inorganic NET creature, not feeling any pain or needing organs, that would wrestle the enemy target and apply a knockout syndrome each time as they fight, resulting in the enemy to be caged should the syndrome stack up too much, and the net creature to disappear.

3) Captured enemies that can work, have a free will, and still be grabbed by dwarves like if they were pets

Adding this one as I dont know if it's possible and the various topics on the forum confused me.
Is there a way to convert captive enemies in to a "workers" caste (keeping the original creature preferably and not converting them in a different one) that are able to be pastured like pets, do jobs like hauling stones and at the same time feel emotions like dwarves, making them prone to throw tantrums and act violent like if they had a freewill to some degree.

I am asking this as the various tokens such as INTELLIGENT, SLOW LEARNER, PET and ecc really confused me.
What token makes a dwarf able to feel emotion and become compared to other units in the map?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:32:16 pm by UristMcCrumen »

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding non lethal weapons for your civ, and giving emotions to captives.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 02:51:40 am »

3) Captured enemies that can work, have a free will, and still be grabbed by dwarves like if they were pets

Adding this one as I dont know if it's possible and the various topics on the forum confused me.
Is there a way to convert captive enemies in to a "workers" caste (keeping the original creature preferably and not converting them in a different one) that are able to be pastured like pets, do jobs like hauling stones and at the same time feel emotions like dwarves, making them prone to throw tantrums and act violent like if they had a freewill to some degree.
This is something I'd like to see introduced as well. I'd love to be able to have servants. I am sure this would only be possible for a civilization that'd allow slavery but it'd be rather cool.

UristMcCrumen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:11:33 pm »

Well I saw a mod named PHM Overgrowth that was actually done very well.
Those delicious walking mushroom men really did insurrections if you did not keep them in check.

I was thinking that maybe applying the VERMIN tag to a subdued creature could prevent an enemy from being killed, but then to recuperate him as in capture him you would need an animal trapper and hope cats dont magically run toward them and finish them off (that would be hilarious though)

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 03:31:30 pm »

the net already exists, to some degree.

i think it was for the gnome mod (I saw it in masterwork), it didn't do what you want because it basically shot cage traps.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 07:30:56 pm »

I would also like to see  if this can be done.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 09:04:45 am »

It's a little silly that DF doesn't have the ability to knock out a foe and take them prisoner, and Rimworld does. Like, come on. This is a pretty basic and intuitive feature that should have went in at the same time being pummeled for stealing did.

I'd like to see some DFHack wizardry perhaps use a custom syndrome to morph an enemy into a caged enemy, perhaps saving the race ID to produce goblin_prisoner, or some such nonsense. So you hit them with *Prisoner Taker* and they are now a prisoner, slave, or whatever. I don't know.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 11:06:53 am »

IndigoFenix wrote a dfhack script for some of that... a gun that applies the "cage trap effect" when it hits. We both used it in mods, he for gnomes, I for goblin net-throwers. If the target gets hit, they get caged.

Later on you can use make-own (or whatever the current version of the script is called) to force invaders to join your fort.

That's the best way I can think of it. Not sure about non-lethal melee weapons that knock enemies out... I mean, that's easy, but the dwarves will still want to kill it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 04:20:43 am »

Changing the AI is the most difficult and involve quite a few scripts. I recommend to start small (add nightsticks and gas that cause intense fear) before going into unit behavior.

1) With dfhack: You need a free attack interaction, that will run a script on the caster. If the caster is holding a non lethal weapon, edit his combat level to brawl. That should let him knock enemies down, but there will be accidents.

2) Again, with dfhack: The cage weapon mentioned should work with modern df.

3) Creatures cannot have both the citizen and pet behavior afaik. If they belong to your civ, they will work for you. If they have no INTELLIGENT tag, they can be pastured but will never complete jobs. The only crossover you can get is by using the newest ANIMAL tags in your entity to have intelligent "pets" that can be obtained as a pet (caged, in a caravan) but act as a complete citizen once free.

With dfhack: In order to change an unit's allegiance, I ported makeown to newer version of DF but it breaks at every update of DF. Amostubal made another version in the modified masterwork DF that kills the target and spawn an exact copy.

Rusty_knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 02:40:23 am »

The only crossover you can get is by using the newest ANIMAL tags in your entity to have intelligent "pets" that can be obtained as a pet (caged, in a caravan) but act as a complete citizen once free.
What are those tags? I can't find them on the wiki.
Crazy-ass weirdo beaver is my totem animal!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 05:16:05 am »

The only crossover you can get is by using the newest ANIMAL tags in your entity to have intelligent "pets" that can be obtained as a pet (caged, in a caravan) but act as a complete citizen once free.

Because the wiki is outdated  :P
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 09:56:37 am »

Look in the file_changes.txt in your df folder.