Poll

derp

gerr
- 17 (58.6%)
derp
- 12 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Running with rifles- Now on Steam!  (Read 30736 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Running with rifles- Now on Steam!
« Reply #210 on: December 28, 2017, 08:06:19 pm »

I got this yesterday,
its fun, but a bit frustrating. did the playground tutorial, which doesn't explain things as well or as in depth as I'd expected.
the RP mechanic could have been better explained, I only figured that out after loosing the Pacific campaign a dozen times. got up to Sgt and started messing with the sniper rifle, got good at getting behind enemy lines and recapturing the bases, then tried to figure out how to call for reinforcements, since it always got over run as soon as I'd captured it.
Finally figured out that selling the briefcase, poker cards etc etc at the armory give you a decent amount of RP, which you can then use to call reinforcements or whatever.
still think I might be missing something though, since the barracks are always a long way away and you'll either spend way too much time getting there and back or you'll die before getting around to selling the items.
the campaign is bloody hard, still not sure how I'm supposed to win it.

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 29, 2017, 04:55:57 am »

I agree that it's not very well explained. I like figuring out stuff on my own though but I can imagine it's not everyone's taste.
The game is hard indeed, it's not like you run through the levels in a few minutes but that's the philosophy of the game I guess. I managed to play through the Pacific campaign on default difficulty (hard) and it was a hell of the challenge. I am rather experienced at RWR which helped a lot. I can imagine that it could be a very tough nut to crack when you are new to the game and try your luck on "hard".

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 29, 2017, 06:49:49 am »

Having both, foxhole is the better variant of the same game.

(But a lot slower)

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2017, 07:19:36 am »

Having both, foxhole is the better variant of the same game.

(But a lot slower)

Not my taste, too toxic community - or maybe I was just unlucky. The idea is definitely cool but they should add bots or else the game might die quite fast. The community has shrunken a lot in the past few months.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2017, 03:31:19 pm »

Generally speaking co-op type games tend to have friendlier communities than those of competetive games... at least form my experience. I do agree that Foxhole is pretty great, and wish more people were playing it.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 30, 2017, 05:04:15 pm »

Ok I'm getting frustrated with the Pacific campaign, default difficulty, US. I can't even do the first mission.
any hints? there doesn't seem to be any way to get RP, easily, and even when you get items the armories are too far away to cash them in. meanwhile you're pissing what little you do have away each time you die, at which point you can't even change weapon because you've got nothing left.
The dudes with bayonet rifles that just charge at you are really hard to hit, and when you do hit them they don't die, one of them ends up taking out my whole squad.
you can manage to hold off/suppress the regular troops, till you have to reload, and you're dead again.
the vanilla campaign is nowhere near this hard. 

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 30, 2017, 05:54:24 pm »

RP is actually much easier to get in Pacific, since every squad has at least one elite, if not several.

IJA's Banzai Troopers are widely known to be hilariously strong, since they get a massive speed boost, ignore suppressing fire, and AI banzai troopers get an additional layer of armor.

Consider starting as IJA until you get more experience. USMC doesn't get access to the Garand until later in the campaign, so they lack the suppressing power to beat down banzai waves.

Otherwise, the only suggestion I can make is to get used to using the M1919.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2017, 05:22:27 pm »

One thing I think would be good to do is to organize a B12 PvP game. There are never any populated servers, and I've been dying to try the mode.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]