Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Weird Games?  (Read 7637 times)

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
Weird Games?
« on: November 16, 2017, 06:41:03 pm »

I'm in a gaming club at school and we're planning on bringing video games to play once a month. At some point, I really want to show my friends a really weird game just to see their reactions. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to get either a PC game or a 3ds game.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Games?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 06:52:27 pm »

Custer's Revenge?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 07:24:29 pm »

Anamnesis is one of the strangest games out there. But it's also good. I don't think anyone would be able to top you if you brought that card out.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:31:04 pm »

doki doki literature club.

less hipstery, try a group playthrough of undertale.

even less hipstery, try binding of issac. strange and fun!

i have little originality
well, there's always graphics df (for those nubs so they don't have to learn ascii matrix skills)

...i was going to suggest h-games but then i slapped myself, not appropriate
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:33:23 pm »

doki doki literature club.

less hipstery, try a group playthrough of undertale.

One of my friends has already played Undertale and told the rest of the group about it, so Undertale is out, sadly. Might try to show my friends DDLC, though.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:51:29 pm »

Get a PS1 emulator and play Tombi.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 08:12:39 pm »

Otherwise, maybe a Touhou title, if they've never seen a shmup of that calibre before?

I actually have English versions of most of the games already, so I might bring that at some point. I've never heard anyone in the group talking about it, so it might be fun to introduce some people.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 08:16:24 pm »

Vangers! Old PC game, it's on steam (and I think GOG and a few other places), both weird and pretty great if you can figure out where the blazes to go.

3DS, without getting into stuff that's not translated... maybe Knights in the Nightmare? It's definitely odd in terms of design.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 08:33:00 pm »

Here's a number of recommendations; see if any of them suit your fancy:

Earth Defense Force. Imagine if a B movie about an alien invasion was turned into a third person shooter video game. That's pretty much what it is. Not the weirdest thing ever, but certainly quirky. The characters that talk on the intercom during your missions are constantly saying really stupid stuff like, "It's the pinnacle of evolution," or "You can defeat it by attacking!" Also, giant ants, robots, and godzilla things, ragdolling everywhere, and more explosions than you can shake a stick at.

Oh... Sir! is also fun, and pretty cheap. You try to defeat your opponent by slinging better insults than them. It seems kind of like a joke of a game, but the mechanics are actually pretty solid despite their simplicity, so it can still get competitive. Oh, and you'll often end up with some pretty weird insults, which is why I mention it in the first place.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch is quite strange. You play as an octopus masquerading as a normal dad guy. You have to accomplish various tasks whilst battling the hilariously difficult controls, which usually results in flailing your octo-limbs wildly and not quite doing what you're supposed to be doing. Pretty sure there's a co-op mode where you can split the controls and make life even harder (and sillier) for yourself.

West of Loathing is an incredibly absurd singleplayer RPG, and I honestly can't recommend it enough if you want laughs. It's stuffed full of jokes from beginning to end, and seemingly prides itself on being as ridiculous as possible at every juncture. Not a game you can play WITH friends, but it's certainly still fun to spectate.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 08:55:06 pm »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14:18 pm »

Vangers!

First thing that came to my mind. Weirdness on actual acid.

You can also just install Second Life and make it all unbearable.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 09:19:10 pm »

im seeing some PSone recommendations. i want to add Team Buddies to that list, really cool game. specially on emulator if you get some joystick to play with friends.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 09:22:42 pm »

Earthbound, if you can arrange that one.

Or you could just blandly point out how fucking weird Mario is.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 09:43:27 pm »

Jazzpunk

Psychonauts

Thirty Flights of Lovin'

Gravity Bone
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 09:45:23 pm »

Zeno Clash.  Fucking Zeno Clash.  /thread

Bonus that the Zeno Clash games are amazing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4