Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stardock's Star Control's Official Spiritual Prequel Kinda  (Read 898 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stardock's Star Control's Official Spiritual Prequel Kinda
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:25:24 am »

Hello everyone, I don't know if anyone's been following the progress of this, but Stardock bought the rights to the Star Control game (but don't have the rights to the actual plot or aliens, which is probably a huge turnoff for most) and are making a... prequel, I guess? It's called Star Control Origins, and today I noticed that a couple videos of the Beta are out.

Gameplay looks nice, there are premade ships but you can design your own, Terran ship at least looks very similar to the one in the original games.

Anyway, discuss. Here's are some links:

Official Teaser Trailer
Gameplay teaser
A recent beta gameplay video I watched

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Stardock's Star Control's Official Spiritual Prequel Kinda
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 01:39:42 pm »

My reaction to the news was this:

"New Star Control game"

OMG

"Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III are not involved"

"alternate universe..."

and now I'm angry.

______

That about sums it up for me.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 02:24:35 pm »

Yeah...if a bunch of people end up saying that it's a great game I might end up picking it up but right now it's not really high on my list. Too many ways it could go wrong.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 02:26:16 pm »

My reaction to the news was this:

"New Star Control game"

OMG

"Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III are not involved"

"alternate universe..."

and now I'm angry.

______

That about sums it up for me.

Fear not, they are working on their own version.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/10/16453410/star-control-2-direct-sequel-ghosts-of-the-precursors

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 02:29:54 pm »

Except that Fred Ford and Paul Ritchie *are* working on their own SC3!  Separately.  And yet, IIRC, gave a reserved blessing to this.
ninja'd, with link, thank you!

I grew up with Stardock in their OS/2 days (my dad was a fan), and...  SoaSE was okay, and I quite liked Demigod.  I'm cautiously optimistic, and I'm fine with treating it as a noncanon romp.  Heck, I somewhat enjoyed the existing "Star Control 3" as a 3rd party fanfic.  It had some interesting ideas, when it wasn't taking tupping liberties with the canon.
Okay fine some of their story ideas were kinda decent too.

I got an email saying there's a playable alpha now for preorderers.  It seemed to tought fleet combat as the current new feature.  Does anyone actually have it?
I might take the plunge soon, not sure.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 03:53:01 pm »

I take particular exception to people screwing with an established franchise just to grab sales, and that's what this feels like. If the races are different, the plot is different, and the UNIVERSE is different, it's not Star Control. There's no reason to put the name on there except to grab attention from people who won't do their homework, and it's an immediate warning to me that the game might not be able to stand on its own merits if that's what they're doing.

All that said, StarCon 3 wasn't bad (but it wasn't a StarCon game) and Fallout 3 and Tactics weren't bad (but they weren't Fallout games), so maybe in the future or something. I just can't get hyped over something this early with a practice that looks skeezy to me.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.