Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game) - Core Thread - Battle Report SY107 (!!)  (Read 9333 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race game)

Who fired first? Does it matter? Perhaps the more pertinent question is, who will fire last?
The colonies of Ertex and Quillus, both in the Aljadid system, are at war, since a few months ago. Nominally, the war is over mining/habitation rights on the as-yet unnamed planet designated 'D'. However, hostility has been brewing between the two ever since the settling fleet split in half over whether to settle the 67% water-covered Ertex, or the 71% water-covered Quillus.
Neither colony has what you might call an 'effective' military. Yet both have a secret weapon the other does not know about: five years ago, they defrosted a cadre of 'engineers', people with a tenuous grasp on reality, but possessed of an inhuman passion for designing new and inventive ways of killing people. (Nobody has questioned the convenience of this, or asked why their hibernation pods were hidden behind a double wall and covered with warning signs.) Both colonies have placed their hopes in these engineers, providing them with the resources needed to see their ideas brought forth into reality, without stopping to question the viability of what they are doing.
You are one such engineer. Your burning passion to see [COLONY] to victory drives you onwards. Acquaint yourself with the basic rules, announce your affiliation in this thread, then report to the relevant design bureau and get to work.

Ertex thread here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168247.0
Quillus thread here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168248.0

Discord here: https://discord.gg/XxzvM5r
Note: use of Discord is not required to join the game.

Spoiler: Basic Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Costs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Units and Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM BIAS/BAD JUDGEMENT (click to show/hide)

I feel like I've forgotten something... well, I've definitely covered all you need to know in order to get started.

Spoiler: The Map (click to show/hide)

PS: Some of this is ripped off from inspired by ChiefWaffle's Planetary Arms Race (died several months ago). Also, every other Arms Race ever, to a lesser degree.

Also, I ain't gonna change things once we're well into the game, but I might change a few rules here and there near the start.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:35:54 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game) - Core Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:38:06 pm »

Well, Im gonna watch, but without a few piles of info on now things(mostly 3dprinters, matter conversion if any, spacecraft propulsion, lasers, etc. etc. etc.) be working hereabouts Im not going to bother joining so I may avoid the pain.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:18:34 pm »

I shall sign up for Quillus.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:26:00 pm »

I should mention that the first few turns are gonna be battle-free, so that when battles do start, there will be some variety in your loadouts.

Well, Im gonna watch, but without a few piles of info on now things(mostly 3dprinters, matter conversion if any, spacecraft propulsion, lasers, etc. etc. etc.) be working hereabouts Im not going to bother joining so I may avoid the pain.
Fair enough. My philosophy is not to constrain things too much by nailing down all the details ahead of time. I mean, if someone wants to do something cool, but it doesn't fit within my predetermined physics, that's a bummer for them.

That being said, it's not a complete free-for-all. I have got a notion of the limits of certain techs, and the way some basic things will work.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:15:09 pm »

To Ertex I go!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 06:38:37 pm »

I am announcing my joining of the Quillus settlers.

I quite like this setup. Has a bit of the Spire style without the overload of complexity or the niche setting.
It's going to be very interesting to deal with manpower issues and choosing whether to focus on ships or infantry and all the various complexities. And I like the lack of an overload of already present inventions that made the late Sensei stuff a bit hard to break into.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 07:22:09 pm »

Quillius bureaucracy is superior to the Ertex primitives in what they call themselves a "civilization" of people.

Ah yes this style, as seen in the previous version of Planetary Arms Race, it's clearly seen that effective warships are better than poor transports that try to deploy space-aerial fighters. Amoaks attempt at experimental technology was probably their own downfall, but it was a fun one, until they realized their misplacement of practicality costed them the game. Even if they stated with a deployment of semi-automatic rifles.

Edit: I believe both threads deserve a proper link to the Core Thread and an addition of a map in the description of the original post would also be welcomed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:58:12 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 07:42:31 pm »

PTW
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 08:11:38 pm »

Bureaucracy? Sign me up for Quillius!

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 03:11:05 am »

Mandatory* Discord created. Link available in OP and right
Here

Edit: I believe both threads deserve a proper link to the Core Thread and an addition of a map in the description of the original post would also be welcomed.
Done.

*Mandatory as in its creation is mandatory, not in that it is required to join to play. The game will remain primarily forum-based.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:43:58 am by NUKE9.13 »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 08:40:45 am »

Joining Quillus.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 09:28:18 am »

I joined Ertex.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 10:14:08 am »

DIRTY FORIEGNERS, THEY WILL ALL BURN WITH THE MIGHT OF ERTEX SUPER WEAPONS

*EVIL CACKLING*
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 05:13:12 pm »

Alright, so, two things:
-If possible, I'd like to roll up the first design soonish. So, you know, get voting if you haven't already.

-Madman brought up concerns that ship movement may be too free, sort of thing. He's worried that there will be no safe spaces. Which is a valid concern, I suppose.
Possible (partial) solutions:
  -Ship movement limited to two planets p/turn.
  -Presence of enemy ships guarantees movement is halted, rather than only having a chance.
  -Defensive satellites cost no PP, are built automagically around controlled planets, and have a very high chance of intercepting enemy ships. Edit: Would (probably) still need to be designed.
  -Other?
If you have any thoughts on the matter, do share them. We've still got a few turns before the war starts, so there's still time to modify the rules.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:40:18 pm by NUKE9.13 »

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 08:16:43 am »

How about the following:
Spacecraft movement is unlimited. Spacecraft can move through enemy spacecraft, and have a certain chance to remain undetected - but if they do sneak through, they'll be out of position for the fight and start at a disadvantage. The chance to sneak through can be increased or decreased by deployed technology.
However, more spacecraft trying to sneak through will drastically reduce that chance.
Also, since you rely on commercial designs to move supplies, any planet which does not have a clear line towards your homeworld will be out of supplies, irrespective of orbital superiority.

The effect of this should be that, while you can sneak raiders through, an invasion will be next to impossible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5