Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39

Author Topic: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY108  (Read 39505 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game)
« Reply #240 on: December 03, 2017, 11:40:17 pm »

We can build a functional tank now and it will be relevant to the end of the war if we build it right. I argue that doing that ends up in the infinite cycle of "make it a little better" in which you continue to research the "next big tech" and say "but it will be better later" and never actually build anything.
Here we disagree. I expect that pretty anything we may design now will go obsolete quite soon. Simply because they'll develop counters and technology will go on. And the second part is a saying. "You don't want to build the thing now, that means you don't want to the thing later" Which is not my position so arguing against it is pointless.

Or we can design the space missiles, which will have nothing in common with atmospheric missiles except for the fact that fire goes out of one end and the other end is explosive.
Experience in guidance systems is experience in guidance systems. Experience in making warheads is experience in making warheads. Also, who said that we don't want missiles that work both in atmosphere and in space?

If they make a tank and we have nothing, we're screwed. If we have a better-designed tank, we win. I believe that given the methods I have supplied to defeat lasers, our tank could win. Further suggestions are welcome.
We won't have nothing. We'll have a design that hurts them in other way. Good luck using tanks when there are no fuel to run them because you have no fusion reactor left to fuel your precious batteries.

I have something you need to read up on, it's called the speed of light. If modern-day ground platforms can traverse fast enough to put enough bullets in an aircraft to bring it down, you darn well better believe a laser platform with post-modern tracking systems can do it. ESPECIALLY when the INFANTRY VERSION of said laser is capable of melting through armor.
I imagine their infantry aiming at an aircraft and laugh. They have no laser anti-aircraft systems. They may get some, but I am perfectly fine them burning design on this while we simply win D and design a tank for deployment on other planets. They have standard issue rifles that are quite effective against armor and we can only partly negate that by doing anti-laser countermeasures. Or we can go for a thing that doesn't care about their rifles at all.
Hell, if I was them and faced a tank. I'd just revise a more powerful anti-tank version of the laser rifle to really screw opponents in a cost effective manner.

Kill them in space if possible, but don't rely on killing them before they land. That way lies madness. Oh, and a lot of defeats.
You are assuming that we can't shoot a single landing shuttle, shuttle with supplies, destroy elements of infrastructure or just strafe them for some battlefield effect. I see no grounds for this assumption

Or we could just deploy our tanks, which will likely have a high enough GPP cost. Oh, and we can also transport some Mjolnir installations around, soon anyway.
I do hope that one unit of tanks won't have 18gpp cost. And we can't transfer Mjolnir soon (aka next turn when we'll have an important task of fighting for D)

Not really. None of our vehicles use airfoils and none of them are capable of loitering. Presently you're either firing the engines for all its worth to get away from the planet, or you're coming in for a landing. That is very much not similar to spacecraft.
It is less not similar than a tank
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 04, 2017, 01:03:42 am »

My bet is that they would concentrate on the heavens for this turn. They might have won the ground battle, but they have no way to resupply them. Unless they got lucky to make something that has space capability and capable of influencing ground battles, we should do good with an armored platform (tank, hovertank, whatever) to do short work of their troops. A big plus is that we should be able to revise it into effective mobile AA platforms once we got the right kind of weapon.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2017, 01:51:33 am »

My bet is that they would concentrate on the heavens for this turn.
It is likely that both their design and their revision went for space. It is extremely unlikely that they won't design a thing for ground combat next turn. Lets not assume that our opponents are idiots, OK? They want a way to spend GPP as much as we do.

We should do good with an armored platform (tank, hovertank, whatever) to do short work of their
Their troops are well equipped against tanks because they have armor piercing lasers. Doing a tank is playing directly into their tactical advantage.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 04, 2017, 10:41:22 am »

Strongpoint...you missed the ideas behind a lot of my points.

I'm going in order from your previous post that quoted my posts, but I don't have time right now to make it all nice, neat, and separated by the relevant quotes. Sorry.

First up: And they won't develop counters to your wunderwaffen that are specialized for each planet and whatnot?

The rules are VASTLY different in space. You can't use fins, and you don't have to be constantly thrusting.

What on earth do you mean, "no fusion reactor left to fuel your precious batteries"? My vehicle proposals all include their own powerplants, for one thing.

You might laugh, but I'm just disappointed that you don't understand what "basically instantaneous impact" means for shooting down planes. It means that the aircraft's first, and only, defense, SPEED, is MEANINGLESS. If you can point the gun at it, you can kill it, because planes are, by necessity, unarmored.

I'm not assuming anything. We controlled BOTH relevant orbits last turn, Strongpoint. Neither one of which mattered enough on the ground. We didn't shoot down any shuttles or anything.

I'm suggesting we build a ground vehicle, which is much easier to build (With no knowledge) than an aircraft. In no way, shape, or form am I suggesting turning a spacecraft into a ground vehicle, and for good reason.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 04, 2017, 11:37:32 am »

First up: And they won't develop counters to your wunderwaffen that are specialized for each planet and whatnot?
How many times I need to repeat that I don't want to make a specialized design for each planet? I want to make a partly specialized project (it works on 3 out of 7 non homeworld planets, revision can make it more usable) because of current tactical situation.
Will they develop a counter? Sure. It is a not a problem. It will serve its tactical purpose. As for a long strategical impact it will be be design for a design. If we design a land vehicle and it gets countered then... we have to design another land design to partly counter their counter. We get nothing tactical, we spend 2 vs 1 strategical.

You are assuming that jet will go obsolete, tank will be produced till the end of the war. I expect that both will go obsolete very soon, simply because it is the first vehicle designed for our ground forces and we are bound to find better use for our GPP.
This is not like many other arms games where our own designs don't compete with each other. Here we will make designs obsolete long before they lose all their combat effectiveness and will start producing something else.

The rules are VASTLY different in space. You can't use fins, and you don't have to be constantly thrusting.
And? Are you implying that there are nothing in common? No way to use experience in ones for experience in others. No way to make misile that work in both environments (fins that move in or out, engine that can work in different modes or whatever)

You might laugh, but I'm just disappointed that you don't understand what "basically instantaneous impact" means for shooting down planes. It means that the aircraft's first, and only, defense, SPEED, is MEANINGLESS. If you can point the gun at it, you can kill it, because planes are, by necessity, unarmored.
Are you seriously implying that their infantry can take their rifle and aim at an aircraft moving at supersonic speed? Also, modern aircrafts aren't armored, that doesn't mean that all aircrafts aren't armored.
And you ignored the part about vulnerability of tanks to their current rifles and that we should avoid playing in their current strength.

I'm not assuming anything. We controlled BOTH relevant orbits last turn, Strongpoint. Neither one of which mattered enough on the ground. We didn't shoot down any shuttles or anything.
We had almost a draw over D, what are you talking about? Also, you are comparing apples and oranges.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 04, 2017, 11:43:17 am »

One of our big goals is to take over a planet closer to the enemy that can produce ships and repair our stuff and perform the upgrades.

Once we do that then our fleet can recharge way easier.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 04, 2017, 11:50:19 am »

You think that, SOMEHOW, your specialized wunderwaffe (Impractical "super"-weapon) won't become outdated, and so we should do that. However, we will spend the same two designs regardless of whether we take your path or mine, ASSUMING they can get in a perfect counter of some sort. Do recall, we have a hard counter of our own: Until they spend some SERIOUS investment in super-armor, our railguns basically hard-counter land-vehicle armor. You just can't put enough armor on a land vehicle to stop a railgun slug.

Yes, I am implying that the way they move, and thus the very basics of their guidance systems, have nothing in common. Making a missile that functions in both environments isn't going to be efficient.

Why yes, yes I am implying that if you point the gun at the aircraft, there will be an effect on said aircraft. However, I do believe you misinterpreted that to mean that the infantry would be routinely shooting down planes. I mean that if they build an antiaircraft laser, or even a laser equivalent to a 20mm/30mm cannon, our aircraft are going to be screwed.

I didn't respond to your second-to-last point (oops, missed it when I was reading, sorry!) which threw off the order, however that comment was responding to us attempting to rely on shooting down transports and shuttles through the use of aircraft, which isn't going to work well enough to bother with.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 04, 2017, 12:26:11 pm »

Okay, everybody chill. Madman, maybe re-read Strongpoint's post; he specifically said that both designs would go obsolete.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 04, 2017, 12:37:22 pm »

Indeed, however he implies that my plan results in them countering us and then we have to spend another design, while his would somehow avoid that.

As for chilling, the internet is terribly at conveying tone. I may be arguing (But why would you bother considering this unusual?), but I'm not angry about it.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 04, 2017, 03:22:25 pm »

It is the start of SY 102
Battle report for SY101

Everything is going smoothly. Remember to respect the environment with this year's designs. Or else.

It is now the Design Phase of SY102

Spoiler: Tech List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Observed enemy tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Map (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 04, 2017, 10:40:50 pm »

QS-MBT-02 even more Huggable 'Hrungnir'
The "Brawler" Main Battle Tank is Quillus's first venture into ground armor. It uses the smallest Stardust we have to power a 50mm miniaturized Mjolnir coilgun that can also fire 50mm explosive Hayk rockets on a low-power setting. The drive system is electric-motor-driven with a wide track-base. The armor is Medium titanium underneath Medium ceramic, of the type the Odin is protected by, coated with a paint that reflect Ertexian laser wavelengths. Heat sensors just under the ceramics detect laser shots and trigger sets of canister-dischargers, depending on the side that took the hit, as well as notifying the fire-control computer of the side of the tank that was hit. The canisters are filled with a compound that makes a thick, laser-scattering smoke when in atmosphere, or a bunch of very thin, very light metal strips when in vacuum to serve the same purpose. A fire-control computer uses a broadband sensor package and a small radar set to calculate distances to targets. Every vehicle from now on will have a small IFF tag to allow the system to distinguish them from enemies. An automatic loading system and the largely computer-controlled firing system reduce crew requirements. The weapon is fully stabilized. A radio is included (Not an interplanetary one). The vehicle will be as low-lying as possible, with a turret that slopes (With sharp angles at the corners for that extra-imposing look) down to the body of the tank to prevent shot-trapping should the enemy ever wizen up to the benefits of projectiles, while the tank itself is angular and the armor is generally sloped at any face you might look at, though the sides and back are less steeply sloped than the front. It is entirely atmospherically sealed, so whether your battlefield is the bottom of a river (Note: Please do not attempt to discharge the main gun while underwater, the reloading process may not go quite as swimmingly as you may wish for.) or the airless, lifeless rock that you really don't want to die on, you can fight there without a spacesuit!

Incredibly environmentally friendly, as it produces almost no emissions whatsoever from its Stardust micro-fusion-reactor! In addition, there are no harmful propellants emitted from the primary ammunition! Its tough armor is produced entirely in government-controlled factories that have almost zero emissions! It is the ultimate expression of our will to persevere and succeed in all we do, and it will succeed against the Ertexite poisoners who destroy environments on a whim.

Name may be subject to change. Propose fixes, ideas, alternatives, please.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:44:04 pm by Madman198237 »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 05, 2017, 12:54:34 am »

Support the QS-MBT-02, although we can just skip the coilgun part if in a pinch. We can then make our larger diameter hayks smart enough for our tanks to fight totally hull-down.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 05, 2017, 01:43:30 am »

QS-I-02 "Bee"
Bee is a one seat jet engine powered aerodynamic interceptor with vertical launch ability that can operate on very-high attitude or atmospheres with even low amounts of oxygen. It is made from 3d printed titanium-aluminum alloy parts and coated with reflective heat resistant ceramic to protect pilot and vital systems against lasers. It is armed with a 20mm Hayk and four wing mounts for either more Hayks or old fashioned bombs or radar-guided missiles controlled by on-board miniaturized version of Huginn guidance system. Intended role of Bee is shooting down enemy shuttles that try to land troops/bring supplies and engaging other aerial targets. Secondary role of the interceptor is attacking vulnerable large stationary ground targets like supply depots, fusion reactors, and other objects of infrastructure that need no great firepower to damage. It can be used for close air support but it isn't optimized for engaging small land targets

My short-mid term plan focused on changing the tide on D

Step one - design aircraft above (design phase of this turn)
Step two - revise utility vehicle (revision phase of this turn)
Step three - load the aircraft in transport with Dove, load utility vehicle in transport with utility vehicles. Send all fleet to D except transport at F which goes home.
Step four - design long term advancement, something like research center for anti-laser coatings or anything else that will benefit our future tank.
step five - revise whatever we need
Step six - look where our warships are needed, pull two transport home, send transport loaded with utility vehicles to whatever non-D planet that need attention
step seven - design a tank. Design a damn good tank
Step eight - Revise the tank. Revise it even it is damn good.
step nine - use SSP we should get from controlling C to build new transports and\or doves
step ten - send a wave of transports with tanks to various planets

the only weak spot of the plan is that we may omit turn two

If anyone will say again that I want a hyper-specialized wunderwaffe stuff and ignore long term implications, then I am gonna cry

I more than welcome suggestions of how to improve my jet design. Maybe more ground attack version will serve us better even if I like the concept of countering unarmed shuttles hard. I am also considering omitting missiles and just go for Hayks + bombs to make design easier. After we are at the stage when we need to start reconquering D

My plans also works with alternatives to aircraft, designs that work well on D, have TC3 size and not a tank.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:09:57 pm by Strongpoint »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 05, 2017, 03:43:14 pm »

QS-BM-02 "Thor's hammer"
Thor's hammer is a compact yet deadly ballistic missile coming with all environment electric tracked launch vehicle (TC3). The missile is powered by a Stardust fusion  reactor modified in a way to become a small hydrogen bomb on demand (it is a tactical, not strategical nuke). Missile is propelled by Apollo thruster. It is covered by anor similar to one used on Odin, to give it some durability against possible enemy anti-missile lasers. It uses a sophisticated guidance system based on Huginn System which gives it incredible accuracy. Surprisingly, such deadly weapon has another role and acts a mobile energy source for the army and its reactor is capable to power various objects, including Mjolnir installations and land vehicles with electric engines. That's not all! Sensors, normally used for guiding the missile, can be used as a detection tools to monitor approaching enemy forces. Sometimes they self-destruct as the last ditch defense.

It is a toy for our guerillas on D. It uses a lot of our experience gained in building of the navy. It is versatile. It won't become fully obsolete. It can be a basis of our future space torpedoes. It gives us experience in land vehicles.

Nevermind, stardust is too big... and bad in exploding.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:54:30 pm by Strongpoint »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 05, 2017, 03:57:48 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
QS-BM-02 "Thor's Hammer": (1) strongpoint
QS-MBT-02 'Hrungnir': (2) Madman, evilcherry

Vote for the Even More Huggable!, er, Hrungir! It has adorability superior murdering capability!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39