Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39

Author Topic: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY108  (Read 39508 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game)
« Reply #255 on: December 05, 2017, 04:00:18 pm »

Boring? Perhaps. But it is practical.
Quote from: Votebox
QS-BM-02 "Thor's Hammer": (1) strongpoint
QS-MBT-02 'Hrungnir': (3) Madman, evilcherry, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 05, 2017, 04:02:24 pm »

QS-I-02 "Bee" (1) strongpoint
QS-MBT-02 'Hrungnir': (3) Madman, evilcherry, Jilladilla

I still believe that tanks are bad for tactical reasons and strategically there will be better times to introduce them. Also, I consider this particular offer to be feature overloaded.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2017, 11:18:56 pm »

QS-I-02 "Bee" (1) strongpoint
QS-MBT-02 'Hrungnir': (4) Madman, evilcherry, Jilladilla, Maximum Spin

Of course.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 06, 2017, 04:58:44 am »

QS-MBT-02 even more Huggable 'Hrungnir'
The "Brawler" Main Battle Tank is Quillus's first venture into ground armor. It uses the smallest Stardust we have to power a 50mm miniaturized Mjolnir coilgun that can also fire 50mm explosive Hayk rockets on a low-power setting. The drive system is electric-motor-driven with a wide track-base. The armor is Medium titanium underneath Medium ceramic, of the type the Odin is protected by, coated with a paint that reflect Ertexian laser wavelengths. Heat sensors just under the ceramics detect laser shots and trigger sets of canister-dischargers, depending on the side that took the hit, as well as notifying the fire-control computer of the side of the tank that was hit. The canisters are filled with a compound that makes a thick, laser-scattering smoke when in atmosphere, or a bunch of very thin, very light metal strips when in vacuum to serve the same purpose. A fire-control computer uses a broadband sensor package and a small radar set to calculate distances to targets. Every vehicle from now on will have a small IFF tag to allow the system to distinguish them from enemies. An automatic loading system and the largely computer-controlled firing system reduce crew requirements. The weapon is fully stabilized. A radio is included (Not an interplanetary one). The vehicle will be as low-lying as possible, with a turret that slopes (With sharp angles at the corners for that extra-imposing look) down to the body of the tank to prevent shot-trapping should the enemy ever wizen up to the benefits of projectiles, while the tank itself is angular and the armor is generally sloped at any face you might look at, though the sides and back are less steeply sloped than the front. It is entirely atmospherically sealed, so whether your battlefield is the bottom of a river (Note: Please do not attempt to discharge the main gun while underwater, the reloading process may not go quite as swimmingly as you may wish for.) or the airless, lifeless rock that you really don't want to die on, you can fight there without a spacesuit!
QS-MBT-02 'Hrungnir' (Hard): (4+4)-1=7: Superior Craftsmanship
Well, we certainly had a laundry list of features for our very first tank. It's a good thing we're such great engineers, or we might've had to drop some!
Instead, we got it all, in a vehicle with a slightly above-average performance.
The Hrungnir/Brawler features a Stardust reactor taken straight from the Loki- 3mx3mx2m- and a simple but competent electric motor, which drives some simple but competent tracks. The downsized, stabilized, auto-loading Mjolnir works as intended, though the 'low power' setting for firing the upsized Hayk rockets is 'off', since even on the lowest setting we could manage the acceleration still caused premature detonation. It has some relatively heavy armour, with a medium layer of reflective ceramic on top of a medium layer of titanium- all sloped, of course. The innovative laser-scattering defence-system is untested against Ertex's lasers, but should help at least a little (or more). A fire-control-system, sensor package, basic radar, and local radio make up the vehicle's electronics package. And finally, the tank is atmospherically sealed, with CO2 scrubbers allowing virtually unlimited operation. Oh, and I guess there's some space for the three-man crew, technically.
The end result is not low-lying. I mean, it is as low-lying as possible. Which is not. With all the features crammed in, it is a big 'ol tank, barely squeezing into the Dove shuttle. Thanks to the well-built motor and plentiful power, it is Kinda Fast (on flat terrain).

The Hrungnir is a respectable MBT. Construction is surprisingly simple for our first ever tank, though it is not perfectly optimised. To construct enough to equip a unit will cost us 4GPP.

It is now the Revision Phase of SY102.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:17:45 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 06, 2017, 09:10:39 am »

I can only cry imagining a game changer 8-roll fighter would be... This thing is somewhat useful but no more than that.

I don't expect this tank to be good enough to overcome 1vs2 situation on D. Their laser rifles will burn it down by sheer numbers. Furthermore, it isn't good in mountains\jungles where all the fighting is taking place. It needs flat terrain. I think A is the only place to deploy them that makes any sense. (edit:F is nice just in case, too.)

We need revision to delay the action on D. Preferably TC1 vehicle
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:12:16 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:13 am »

Actually, if you recall, the terrain you fight in depends largely on how you choose to fight, because there's an entire planet here and nowhere NEAR enough people to control it.

If we land tanks, we'll fight in more average locations. Also, what with a Kinda Fast speed and, I imagine, a frankly insane torque, this tank is going to be capable of solid maneuvering pretty much anywhere.

As for being only somewhat useful, how do you figure that? It is a main battle tank, capable of taking a variety of hits, and driving fast. It has a gun capable of demolishing well, most things, and fancy countermeasures!

What more could you ask for?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 06, 2017, 11:19:59 am »

because there's an entire planet here and nowhere NEAR enough people to control it.
Then 4\6 control represents what?

As for being only somewhat useful, how do you figure that?
Because I don't see how it is particularly useful in countering large amounts of  infantrymen with everyone of them having an anti-tank rifle on demand. It is far better at A, for example, because infantry is weaker because of bulky suits and has no number advantage. This is why I prefer to send tanks to A and just delay D by giving something to troops in jungles\mountains

What more could you ask for?
Control over the skies of the key planet :P Or anything that would wipe terrain of D with Ertex bodies

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2017, 11:54:14 am »

Control represents your ability to hold and protect strategic sites, or rather the extent of control you have over those strategic sites. Not your ability to see everything and choose the battlefield.

A tank is a tank is a tank, I'd say. If it blows people up on A it should blow them up on D, too.

Fine, then I'm just going to ask for an interplanetary railgun for Christmas, because that's what's necessary to please you :P

But in all seriousness, with an 8 an aircraft would've been cool, but I still believe that aircraft, which rely on their speed and altitude for protection and lose half their protection when they perform CAS maneuvers, and then they're unarmored and facing a laser capable of continuous fire which will melt armor.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 06, 2017, 11:57:06 am »

We have 2 ways to win this. One, to totally own the skies. Two, to exploit their obvious weakness - lack of indirect fire capability.

Our targeting computer helps us to do the first thing. Lets use this for the second thing, too.

"Skathi" upgraded ground fire control system

The Skathi system is essentially ground-based varient of the Huginn System. It is designed to be installed in command Hrungnirs (replacing the gun if necessary) and is a combined detection and fire control system to augment the indirect fire capability of land vehicles and future guided weapons. Using sensory data collected from nearby Hrungnirs, combined with location data collected and beamed down from the Odins and Lokis in the heavens, the Skathi will calculate for the other Hrungnirs the angle and power needed for an optimal artillery barrage.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 06, 2017, 12:07:28 pm »

QS-UV-02 "Hestr"
Hestr is an adaptation of a civilian off road car popular on Quillus. It is optimized to to work in dump, muddy areas like swamps or jungles but can reliably move on most surfaces and work in wide ranges of temperatures. Naturally, driver and passengers may still need their protective gear. Hestr is equipped with a lightweight set of anti-laser measures based on what is used by Hrungnir. Its engine is powered by an universal internal combustion engine that can run on pretty much any flammable liquid or gas going from such high tech fuel as special new fuel (Infernium) that comes with its own oxidizer to as low tech fuel as wood gas. It can have a squad sized weapon installed on its roof.

Yes I want to spend a whole revision for reliably bringing one of those to D this turn and use the second ICT. It helps in guerilla tactics. It helps to have at least some infantry following tanks if I am  wrong and we'll be able to go on offensive.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 06, 2017, 12:07:55 pm »

Furthermore, it isn't good in mountains\jungles where all the fighting is taking place. It needs flat terrain. I think A is the only place to deploy them that makes any sense.
So, let me just clarify that, whilst Ertex will have to root you out of the mountains/jungle to advance, you are free to strike out onto the plains, if that would be advantageous. It might be different if Ertex were at 5/6.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 06, 2017, 12:11:47 pm »

It would be better to use a revision, take the hull of the Hrungnir, and mount the gun with elevation capability, probably without the sensors and countermeasures. I mean, maybe leave the radar for counterbattery fire.

However, when I have time later this afternoon I'll write up a formfitting armor spacesuit/uniform revision.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 06, 2017, 12:19:38 pm »

However, when I have time later this afternoon I'll write up a formfitting armor spacesuit/uniform revision.

We have two transports and ton of unspent GPP at home. I want to load one of them with something TC1-ish when we have an opportunity to do so. It is a tactical decision. D is a core front. We need to stabilize it.

Also, tanks that get no support from mobile nfantry are noticeably weaker. Hell, even some horses would be welcome....

Genetic engineered real horses! joke

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2017, 12:21:18 pm »

The idea is that the tanks, combined with infantry armor of some sort, can get us from Long range down to medium, where we'll start killing things.

Also, them deploying a tank is inevitable. Whether it'll be soon, who knows...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 06, 2017, 12:27:40 pm »

I am skeptical about that tank armor will be very effective against lasers. I am far more skeptical about infantry sized armor coming from a revision.

Also, I absolutely hate to waste resources in form of GPP and ICT
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39