Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39

Author Topic: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY108  (Read 39549 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY107
« Reply #525 on: February 18, 2018, 03:45:29 pm »

1) They have solid slugs too so if the frag doesn't work then they can use those instead so it isn't a big deal. Also; soft sci-fi.
I'd like to not use "soft sci-fi" as an excuse to be too retarded.
3) And the point of the revision is to make an easy modification that helps out all of our infantry on the cheap instead of giving them all power armour.
Yeah but if we can be daring we should. We learned this lesson before when we failed to MOVE ALL ZIG. :P

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 18, 2018, 06:07:53 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandem-charge

Since you appear to be misinformed about how technology can have more than one use.

1) They have solid slugs too so if the frag doesn't work then they can use those instead so it isn't a big deal. Also; soft sci-fi.

2) Not really, its would only be a few hundred meters long at maximum so not too large.

3) And the point of the revision is to make an easy modification that helps out all of our infantry on the cheap instead of giving them all power armour.

4) The tandem charge explodes and then the sabot hits the indentation, the submunition can cause the fragments to become molten on impact.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/m1-tank3.htm
Spin basically summed up my arguments about 1 and 3, so I'll just address 2 and 4

2. No, it would have to be MUCH larger in order to not break delicate things while also giving them enough velocity to be superior to standard transport.

4. You linked those either without understanding them, or without understanding my post. My concern is that you're cramming too much into a VERY small firing package, and also that you don't understand how ERA, sabots/APDS, and tandem charges/ERA-bypassing really works. In your proposed shell, here's what might happen: Impact. The first charge detonates, and the ERA goes off. Now your penetrator is deformed and has lost some velocity, most likely, to the blast wave. Then...the second charge goes off, presumably (in an AT role) a HEAT setup to actually punch through armor...and the penetrator is there for what reason, again?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 27, 2018, 04:08:32 pm »

PTW

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 28, 2018, 03:51:08 pm »

PTW

You're using that ironically right?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 28, 2018, 04:06:31 pm »

PTW

You're using that ironically right?
Why does he have to Post To Watch ironically?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 01, 2018, 10:35:33 am »

It is, finally, the start of SY108
Link to Battle Report for SY107

But seriously, the EPA is breathing down our necks about this supposed environmental devastation, so if you could hurry up and conquer D and end the constant fighting, that'd be great.

It is now the Design Phase of SY108

Spoiler: Tech List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Observed enemy tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:00:09 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Design SY108
« Reply #531 on: May 01, 2018, 12:06:20 pm »

So, yeah. Fun. Ertex is going to be pulling off some pretty crazy industrial expansion if they're self-replicating miners (even in limited form...)

We need to get some ground combat going now, I suspect. We'll be controlling orbits for the foreseeable future.

Hovering artillery/air support system, anyone?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 02, 2018, 05:26:44 am »

I am for artillery.
Maybe we should make some guided missile to work against their Athena on the ground?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 04, 2018, 09:02:19 am »

QS-PM-08 '60 mm Personal Mortar (Pending Fancy Name)'

The 60 mm Personal Mortar is just that - a 60 mm mortar usable by individual infantrymen or groups of infantrymen to launch ordinance from long distance and to provide them with effective anti armor capabilities. It's operated by dropping a shell down the tube to land on a firing pin (I don't know how to make mortars high tech) and the angle can be adjusted via a sturdy hinged bipod. Munitions include high explosive rounds, smoke, and chaff (there's NO WAY we could make a nuclear mortar shell without a specific design right?). Targeting is achieved via handheld flares and simple radios carried by spotters (that could be hard?), and all sorts of fancy measurement guidelines are inscribed on the mortar to allow operators to perform accurate indirect fire.

An attempt to get this party started.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 04, 2018, 09:11:32 am »

Sounds too small, we already have Nuclear reactors, making a bomb won't be too hard
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 04, 2018, 09:34:47 am »

I see no reason a mortar cant use coils instead of explosive propellant. Thats more high tech.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 04, 2018, 09:46:37 am »

I vaguely remember people saying that anything other than a slug can't survive coilgun acceleration. Could be wrong. Would the sheer velocity and weight of firing lead slugs like that make up for lack of varied ammunition, if it's true?

Sounds too small, we already have Nuclear reactors, making a bomb won't be too hard

What do you mean? Nuclear munitions? For what?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 04, 2018, 10:13:54 am »

If anyone can explain why Would no other then a slug won't survive a coilgun, I thougt that they just won't have more destructive potenial then it.
Nuclear munitions is good for more aoe

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 04, 2018, 11:00:19 am »

It's been a while, so I'll give a little feedback to that design:
-Developing nuclear mortar shells at the same time as a mortar is feasible. You more or less know how to make nukes already. Just don't expect them to be as powerful as IRL nukes.
-Your troops already carry personal radios for short-distance communication.
-The design as proposed would be Trivial, since it does not feature any new technology, and does not involve complex engineering.
Long Live United Forenia!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 04, 2018, 12:12:44 pm »

(I don't know how to make mortars high tech)
Add red LEDs.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39