Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS death by late Spring  (Read 1062 times)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS death by late Spring
« on: November 19, 2017, 12:34:57 pm »

So I tried playing as humans in a Terrifying biome for a challenge, and before spring was even over I had to kill the fort because I was getting 15 FPS. I don't know why. No more than 10 undead showed up and all got murdered by the swordsman I brought. My miners were digging out a large area underground to hole up in while I figured stuff out, but it was nothing truly crazy and I still only had my original 7 + about 15 animals. I've had WAAAAY bigger projects in dwarven forts with >50 FPS, so I was pretty well scratching my head wondering wtf was going on.

Anyone have an idea what caused it?

FYI I was playing on a 3X3, small world, multi-level viewing off, and with cavern facehuggers off.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS death by late Spring
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 05:57:45 am »

Without a savegame, nobody will tell you.

My guess is that it could have been large wave of migrants spawning, armies between kingdoms moving or anything related.

All in all, you should have waited until autumn/next spring and see what happens.

In my case I got crashes constantly during first year of embark, while doing seemingly usual stuff. They go away in second year, so maybe those are related.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Blazebase

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: FPS death by late Spring
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 05:52:24 pm »

I could think of two, both of which you could check for yourself.

a. You could have embarked over a particular underground fortress that is filled to the brim with units, like 500+ in some of my encounters.
If you want the spoiler on it, page for it is below.

b. Underground fire, usually subsides but it wouldn't tank your fps as hard as it has for you.

You can check on both of these by doing 'reveal hell' and immediately checking your unit count. If that isn't populated with a lot of units you could scroll down your map and see if it's burning.

This is what I've done in the past to check for what you are experiencing.
Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure.  ~Author Unknown