Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Additional [ANIMAL] Tokens  (Read 795 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Additional [ANIMAL] Tokens
« on: November 24, 2017, 12:03:20 pm »

This is just some minor token ideas that could be added to the new entity animal tokens, mostly for quality of life and more customizability:
1. A token that makes any intelligent wilderness creatures available to the civ (with LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES+LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE) always playable from that specific entity - could be called something like [ANIMAL_PEOPLE_ALWAYS_PLAYABLE]. Of course, this'd only apply to the ones specified by the other animal tokens, whether they are a specific group or part of an entire class. The requirement of having both of those tokens is just so semi-sentients like trolls or regular livestock like sheep aren't accidentally made playable as well.
Right now, I noticed that if you add animal people, they just get added to the same populations as livestock, which is a tad annoying - atleast if you give them a role override, as without any pet tokens they just wont be spawned, period.
2. A token that dictates the total number of each animal from the class (or a specific one) for the entire civ - something like ANIMAL_NUMBER:200 - where 200 would be the total amount of each animal spawned (i.e if a civ has pigs and cows available, they'll have 200 pigs and 200 cows available), spread across the sites of the civ to prevent lag. I've noticed that at the present, depending on the role, the animal populations will be highly variable - sometimes as low as only 2 of those pets for the entirety of the civ, which is a tad ridiculous.
3. A token that allows animals available to the civ with LARGE_PREDATOR to leave it and become similar to named, wild predatory creatures in worldgen - raiding sites for food, killing people and so on. Could call it something like [ANIMAL_CAN_GO_ROGUE].

Thats all I could think of for now - thoughts? I would love if those got added in some of the future updates after the bugfixing period is over, would be incredibly useful for mods.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 12:07:55 pm by ZM5 »

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Re: Additional [ANIMAL] Tokens
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 05:12:06 pm »

one id like to see added (more, changed) is the material emissions. Id like to be able to fire pre-constructed shapes of metal from my ultra sadistic creations. Imagine adamantine colossi that fire adamantine daggers from their body.

Id also love to see an addition of "lairs" for more creatures. Not as much megabeasts, but more like, "this pack of wolves has claimed this area, this bear claimed this cave" etc.

also a "NATURAL_ENEMY:creature" tag, to make, for example, cats and dogs more prone to violence against each other. Perhaps even with a number like building destroyers. In 1, when tamed theyll probably tolerate each other, in 2, itll work like being opposed to life.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:35:42 am »

1. A token that makes any intelligent wilderness creatures available to the civ (with LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES+LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE) always playable from that specific entity - could be called something like [ANIMAL_PEOPLE_ALWAYS_PLAYABLE]. Of course, this'd only apply to the ones specified by the other animal tokens, whether they are a specific group or part of an entire class. The requirement of having both of those tokens is just so semi-sentients like trolls or regular livestock like sheep aren't accidentally made playable as well.

2. A token that dictates the total number of each animal from the class (or a specific one) for the entire civ - something like ANIMAL_NUMBER:200 - where 200 would be the total amount of each animal spawned (i.e if a civ has pigs and cows available, they'll have 200 pigs and 200 cows available), spread across the sites of the civ to prevent lag. I've noticed that at the present, depending on the role, the animal populations will be highly variable - sometimes as low as only 2 of those pets for the entirety of the civ, which is a tad ridiculous.

I remember this discussion from the discord, and your laments about how you couldn't put in auxillary populations inside your civ in which to draw upon as adventurer stock. Given that animal-people are spored already inside civs i don't think this is too unjust a change for a tag like [ALWAYS_OCCUPATION_WORK] to set them aside from normal citizens, which Toady doesn't want to migrate or do normal roles just yet until the hill-dwarf arc.

As for the animal population it could work in different ways such as hard cap with [MAX_SITE_POPULATION:X] and [POPULATION_SITE:X] to work respectively to newly tamed worldgen animals & [ALWAYS_AVAILIBLE] animals.

3. A token that allows animals available to the civ with LARGE_PREDATOR to leave it and become similar to named, wild predatory creatures in worldgen - raiding sites for food, killing people and so on. Could call it something like [ANIMAL_CAN_GO_ROGUE]

You could think this would happen with the large predators already, perhaps when we get further into animal taming in adventure mode (with Toadys little taming minigame) there will be a chance for creatures to break their training in worldgen & flee into the native wilderness. Then we could task some dwarves to rescue a horse or a herd of sheep & return them to the civ using the new squads or put down a marauding monster.

"In year 58 Everpeak Shineglow the jabberer forgot its training & overpowered its trainer Ubol Grimshanks and escapes into the wilderness, Ubol Grimshanks is struck down"
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:43:59 pm by FantasticDorf »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 11:23:07 am »

I'm aware about the hill-dwarf thing - I just don't see why it couldn't be put in now via some tokens, since it'd be perfect for modders - would save some dev time later as well.

Incidentally, after some testing I noticed the do become playable - though not initially.
For example, in my pack I have geists as pets for the undead faction - you have to play from the undead civ first (or just wander into their sites I'd guess) - then the geists will be playable the next time around. Somewhat weird but acceptable - though I still wish they were added to citizen populations, rather than livestock. The issue of them having incredibly small populations (2 members within the entire civ, at most) is still there, though, which is why population control tokens would be useful.

The predator thing would be good quest material, yeah - its why I'm suggesting it. If Toady plans on adding constructs like golems and stuff then it'd be a way to simulate them going "haywire" as well and attacking villages - if it was possible I'd have done that with my own stuff as well, but I don't want constructs popping up in the wilderness.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:25:00 am by ZM5 »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 02:36:54 pm »

That sounds like they weren't loaded in to be historically relevant until you visited, which is interesting but most possibly a bug.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:39:56 pm by FantasticDorf »