Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More attack condition tags.  (Read 931 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
More attack condition tags.
« on: November 20, 2017, 06:09:46 pm »

There’s a huge gap between [BENIGN] and not benign, there should be more tags that that.

[HUNTS_PREY] - Hunts non-vermin creatures smaller than itself. It would eat most of the meat afterwards. This would be neutralized by taming.

[DEFENDS_YOUNG] - follows older creatures until it is an adult, and the adult attacks anything that approaches either it or it’s young.

[NEUTRAL] - attacks only if provoked (eg when being hunted, by animals or dwarves); perfect for elephants!
No amount of mods is too much

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More attack condition tags.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:21:15 pm »

What's the difference between hunts_prey and large_predator?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:57:56 pm »

I think large predator makes it attack everything, don't know too much about the raws though
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 03:46:49 pm »

I think large predator makes it attack everything, don't know too much about the raws though
Wiki says it attacks things smaller than it. Kind of like your hunts_prey.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 05:23:28 am »

LARGE_PREDATOR makes the creature attack other creatures if they think they can win.  Usually this means smaller creatures, but you can adjust this by modifying the BRAVERY personality trait.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:13:03 am »

Once non-grazers start requiring food, carnivores & omnivores should have their aggression levels be determined largely by their hunger.

For single-creature considerations, I think a single tag bolstered with arguments would be more useful than a handful of different tags. Consider:
[DEFENSE_RADIUS:x:y:z] where X denotes a distance (the creature's "personal space"), and Y & Z are percentages of the creature's own size. If you come within radius X, and you're bigger than Y but smaller than Z, then you're large enough to be considered a threat, & the creature will try to fend you off. If you're larger than Z, however, the creature will flee. Tweak the numbers to simulate fearless animals like wolverines & certain spiders.
[ATTACK_RADIUS:x:y:z] Just like defense_radius, but the creature will pursue you even if you leave its personal space, and in general be more interested in killing you than in scaring you away.
[PREDATION_RADIUS:x:y:z] Just like attack_radius, but the creature will only attack if a) it can eat you and b) it's hungry. Carnivores should probably have a Predation_Radius and a much smaller Defense_Radius.

Supplementary tags like [DEFENDS_YOUNG] (possible with its own arguments) can always be tacked on to exhibit social behaviors.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 01:19:18 am »

I think that's a bit too complex for tags. We don't need to define individual attack radii. They should just be derived from other attributes, like bravery, size, etc.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?