Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress un bug?  (Read 440 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Fortress un bug?
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:38:29 pm »

Is there anyway that I can make my game run faster in just 6 years my dwarfs have gone from really fast to really slow.I know this has something to do with frames per a second...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress un bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:09:56 pm »

this may help

retiring-unretiring may also improve fps sometimes. or reduce it in other times. (make a backup)

Also if your fps is like 1 you probably are running into a bug.

EPM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress un bug?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:49:16 am »

Wiki page on the subject. The wiki's been going down a bit lately though, so some quick tips regarding framerate:

1: Disable temperature in the init file if you haven't already.
2: Slaughter or cage as many animals as you can to reduce pathfinding calculations for them.
3: Atom smash excess crap or otherwise purge stray junk. ("autodump destroy" is your best friend command in DFhack if you use it)
4: Really, in general pathfinding, liquids in motion, temperature, and tons of junk lying around are pretty reliable culprits for framerate issues. 
5: If you have a military barracks where lots of dwarves are sparring at once, all those combat calculations can add up to a framerate squeeze.
6: Stockpiles can wreak havoc on your fps if you make gigantic ones. However, they can improve your fps if you design your fort to have them near their appropriate workshops.
7: Caverns can crush fps easily if you have multiple of them, or if you generated them with high passage density.
8: Relatedly, trees both above-ground and in the caverns can essentially grow into a hedge maze that every nearby creature needs to pathfind through.

Probably one of the most common causes for "hey why's my game so slow now" is digging out a ton of stone and not stockpiling it or walling it off, then having furnaces and workshops running constantly. The result is a depletion of all the nearby stone and the dwarves at work pathfinding into the mess of tunnels and staircases over and over, having to go deeper every time.