Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.01 Released  (Read 86612 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 0.44.01 Released
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:39:25 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Linux delay thread

This is the artifact release, featuring the ability to send your dwarves off to cause trouble in the world, improved kobold sites, cover identities, artifact questers, and a bit of artifact diplomacy.

In fort mode, the 'c' screen which used to list civilizations still does that as a suboption, but its main purpose now is to show the world map and allow you to interact with it.  You can either raid a neighbor generally, or send off squads to recover specific artifacts or rescue particular people (in which case, the squads will still bring back other artifacts and prisoners, but focus on the goal.)  A squad questing after an artifact will seek out information if the first site doesn't work out, and this might take several months, so be prepared.  Squads can also be captured during raids, though typically someone will return to tell the tale.  When squads return, a report will become available; a yellow 'R' will appear over on the left margin, and pressing 'r' will let you see it.  Sometimes reports are quite lengthy as squads stumble from tavern to tavern; you can press enter to skip to the end of the path animation.

There are some rough edges here!  Be sure not to send off your commander if you are planning to reorganize your military, as they are the only one with the power to assign new squads and cannot do so while off the map.  There was a last-minute hiccup with artifacts known to be held by people (rather than stored on sites); these fort-mode missions will be fruitless for the moment; the most common instance here is books authored by people that then hang on to them, so don't try to steal their books!  It says on the map screen when an artifact is held by somebody, so it should be easy to avoid.  Raids do not bring back non-artifacts or build skills; these issues may or may not be addressed in the short-term depending on difficulties that arise.

The interactions with heroes and invading armies are more straightforward.  There will either be 'P'etitions or a diplomacy popup to handle.

In adventure mode, you can assume a cover identity.  You do this from the 'k' conversation menu (if you are already talking to somebody, it'll be hidden in "start new conversation".)  If you choose to link your identity to a civilization, you'll be carrying that baggage with you, especially when you are being interrogated by goblin guards, so one should be prudent.  To turn off the identity, go back to the "assume an identity" menu and choose the 'x' "no identity" option.  You can also reuse existing identities from this menu.

People in adventure mode that are seeking an artifact will list "missing treasure" among their troubles, and you can then inquire further.

In order to name an object, use 'I' to interact with it, and it'll be one of the options for appropriate objects.  For example, you can give a name to your spear or waterskin, but not to the water or food you start with.

There are also various adventure rough edges.  For instance, if you pick up and then immediately replace a museum piece in adventure mode, and then tell somebody about it, you'll get credit as a Treasure Hunter.  It'll be difficult to fix that without additional property information, etc.  It's also generally hard right now to find artifact quests, as most things are in their proper place and/or not subject to an outside claim.  We'll be working with this a bit as we generally work on stabilizing the release.

Overall, many of the changes occurred under the hood, in preparation for the myth and magic release, but now the magic release will be able to incorporate artifacts of all kinds without additional delay, so hopefully it was time well spent.

As usual, your old saves should work, but please back them up before diving into the new release!  It is quite likely that forts will fall into technical ruin as bugs come up and are handled at this early stage.  Old forts won't have object additions like the pedestals and display cases, but they should be able to send out raids from the 'c' screen.

We will be focusing on the worst bugs (crashes etc.) at first, and then we'll broaden out into other bugs, old and new, and minor suggestions/usability improvements, as well as a general smoothing out of the new features.  We're still working on the design side of the first magic release, so we anticipate we'll be doing smaller releases for a while.

New stuff
   (*) Ability to send out squads to raid sites, rescuing prisoners and recovering artifacts
   (*) Display cases and pedestals, museum zones, both in forts and other sites
   (*) Can view the world map w/ rumors from fort mode
   (*) Artifacts created during worldgen: dwarf moods, named heroic objects, holy relics, heirlooms
   (*) New artifact events in play and worldgen: questers seek artifacts and ask for or steal them, invaders demand artifacts
   (*) New historical events associated to the creation of artifacts (used in fort and worldgen)
   (*) Agents used by civilizations to gather information, can assume cover identities
   (*) Improved kobold site maps
   (*) Goblin site denizens demand an identity instead of immediately attacking every stranger
   (*) More modding control over pets and other animals
   (*) Adventurer can assume a cover identity at will
   (*) Adventurer can name their possessions
   (*) New adventurer reputations related to artifacts
   (*) New religious activity: monks, pilgrims and prophets
   (*) Museums and other room types can be added to fort locations like taverns and libraries
   (*) Various additional data in the XML export

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed weapon trap crash vs. item breakage
   (*) Fixed bug preventing monster slayers from visiting those forts with monsters to slay
   (*) Made animated skulls, hair and other bits easier to pulp
   (*) Made idle and vermin-hunting dwarves come down from trees more successfully
   (*) Made thirst/hunger and being pushed out of the way less likely to terminate dances

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Alphabetized broad stock screen categories
   (*) Fixed problem with historical bodies not respecting wounds/processing
   (*) Fixed bug causing religions to worship too many gods, with duplicates
   (*) Made simple burrow beasts start in caves as possible
   (*) Fixed broken historical collection linkage with beast attacks during festivals
   (*) Fixed one instance of broken animal person greetings
   (*) Stopped natural animals from w.g. rampaging through sites owned by entities at peace with wildlife
   (*) Took age into account for w.g. fights vs. body size (e.g. proper dragon size)
   (*) Stopped people from being enough to satisfy a need to see great beasts
   (*) Made visitors less nervous about going to neutral locations
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 10:55:13 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.01 Released
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:41:24 pm »

Thank You.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 10:53:27 pm »

HALLLEJUEH GOD MIGHT JUST BE REAL AFTER ALL, THE WORLD IS AMAZING LIFE HAS BECOME BECOME BEARABLE, wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo TOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! you did it!

*Dances with glee*

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 10:54:56 pm »

Welp, there goes my day off.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 11:10:11 pm »

Excellent!

...two attempts at generating worlds have crashed. Hope for 3rd time lucky!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:13:14 pm »

Ack.  Naturally, I've run world gen many times out quite a few years (~150-170) over the last several days without issue.  I suppose we can start collecting downloads and seeds.  Can you get a little pocket through?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:15:56 pm »

Ok. Got me a pocket working. Short history.

With a troll bone whip artifact. Cool! Made by a dwarf. Offered to a Slate Grey Devil.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:17:57 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 11:17:55 pm »

Ack.  Naturally, I've run world gen many times out quite a few years (~150-170) over the last several days without issue.  I suppose we can start collecting downloads and seeds.  Can you get a little pocket through?

Default parameters, SDL windows small, 64 bit, 180 years, crashes on selecting the option to play the world as is.

Pocket world worked.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 11:18:56 pm »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 11:26:39 pm »

Next bunch of worlds working just fine. Gradually increasing size. Small world at 250 years, ok.

A lot of artifacts are 'made a symbol of a king' or 'made a symbol of a baron', etc. Is there supposed to be a name in there, or is this WAD?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:28:48 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 11:27:18 pm »

full release when

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 11:31:14 pm »

Crash:  Okay, I'll see if I can get it myself for a bit, then I'll mess around with provided materials.

A lot of artifacts are 'made a symbol of a king' or 'made a symbol of a baron', etc. Is there supposed to be a name in there, or is this WAD?

Yeah, these are supposed to be passed down as a symbol of office, independent of the particular holder.

full release when

Do you mean linux?  See the thread linked in the OP.  Need to fix a hardware issue.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 11:39:50 pm »

Where should we post crashed world seeds?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 11:51:53 pm »

Editing them into a single post of yours here'll be fine.  It's definitely be the focus until it's done, and they don't benefit others much, so no point throwing it over to the tracker, I think.  Of course my 280 year world goes without a hitch...  I'll get one!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 11:52:47 pm »

Stop including the C runtime libraries!

AFAIK it is against the Microsoft VS terms and conditions to include these libraries directly, and even if it wasn't it would still be a bad idea.

If you must, bundle the redistributable installer, never bundle the runtime DLLs directly.

(Ok, it is allowed nowadays, but it is not recommended.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:55:56 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5