Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.01 Released  (Read 86692 times)

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.01 Released
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2017, 02:45:56 pm »

I submitted a bug report on mantis regarding the AI in adventure mode, though I've accidentally filed it under "Quests" there doesn't appear to be a way to edit this. However, the issue is a little confusing so I thought maybe some further elaboration maybe necessary - it appears to be that people seem to be unable to identify me in combat with anyone else. The first thing I did was go on a quest to kill a forest titan, only to find that although I was able to complete the quest, both my lord and hearthmates were underwhelmed with my summary of the incident, saying ""an unknown creature is slain - it was inevitable". My next test was to just assault a random villager in front of the co-occupants of his home - they were able to identify that there was a battle going on, but were unable to place me or the victim as participants in the conflict, giving the same message yet again. If someone is slain they recognize them as dead but their knowledge of the incident appears to be out of sorts.

Also, after assuming a secret identity they now recognize me as a participant or aggressor in a conflict by my actual identity, seeing me as "unhinged" for starting a random conflict, but still not recognizing the victim regardless of their relation to them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 02:53:49 pm by gnome »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2017, 02:48:23 pm »

Anyone tried to raid necromancer tower? I suspect it will give almost the same bug as with vaults - dwarfs slaughter necromancers, grab all their books, and are completely unfhased by nonexistent zombies.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2017, 04:01:45 pm »

Glad you guys didn't hear the weird yipping sound I made when I saw this.  :P THANK YOU TOADY

Also, am I able to manually install a texture pack right away? If so, someone mind teaching me how?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 04:17:53 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2017, 04:36:45 pm »

Thank you Toady, that's great !

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2017, 05:15:03 pm »

One interesting thing I noticed, change summary doesn't mention the biggest single-raw-file change: a massive overhaul of description color, density, etc of the trees.
You mean this?
Quote from: file_changes.txt
plant_new_trees
      community-gathered density/color data

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2017, 05:23:15 pm »

Are dwarves supposed to visit museums automatically? I have a museum with a couple artifacts in display cases - but no dwarves have ever visited it. Perhaps I need to set it as a meeting area with the "i" menu too?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2017, 05:33:03 pm »

Release process for crash bug is slowly underway...

Toady One, I have not had any questers or invaders ask for any artifacts. Any idea why?

They have to claim them first, which is rare for artifacts you make yourself, rather than steal.  Invaders don't yet do random extortion...  they probably should.

Also I'm noticing relationships are forming again, did change anything about how they form while socializing?

I might have addressed something, though it was a long time ago and I must not have written it down.  I did check the chat function during Socialize, but I don't remember if I found an error.  Hopefully it is working now.

Also rescuing prisoners seemed to have the same outcome of trying to retrieve artifacts from people.

Hmm...  I've rescued prisoners, but it is possible it is broken, of course.  Saves and reports are welcome on the tracker, and hopefully we can get it sorted out.

I submitted a bug report on mantis regarding the AI in adventure mode, though I've accidentally filed it under "Quests" there doesn't appear to be a way to edit this. However, the issue is a little confusing so I thought maybe some further elaboration maybe necessary - it appears to be that people seem to be unable to identify me in combat with anyone else. The first thing I did was go on a quest to kill a forest titan, only to find that although I was able to complete the quest, both my lord and hearthmates were underwhelmed with my summary of the incident, saying ""an unknown creature is slain - it was inevitable". My next test was to just assault a random villager in front of the co-occupants of his home - they were able to identify that there was a battle going on, but were unable to place me or the victim as participants in the conflict, giving the same message yet again. If someone is slain they recognize them as dead but their knowledge of the incident appears to be out of sorts.

Also, after assuming a secret identity they now recognize me as a participant or aggressor in a conflict by my actual identity, seeing me as "unhinged" for starting a random conflict, but still not recognizing the victim regardless of their relation to them.

Ah, yeah, I had a minor indication of this before the release, but I wasn't sure what was going on.  I'll investigate.

Are dwarves supposed to visit museums automatically? I have a museum with a couple artifacts in display cases - but no dwarves have ever visited it. Perhaps I need to set it as a meeting area with the "i" menu too?

They should, but I can definitely see me screwing this up in the mill-about code for idle dwarves, as building-drawn rooms are a special case.  I'll check.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2017, 05:33:59 pm »

Every migrant leaves a puke trail behind them, reminds me of tavern floors... Intended?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »

Ooh. Discovered a new sport in Legends. Display case throwing contest. That's gotta be tough.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2017, 05:46:12 pm »

One interesting thing I noticed, change summary doesn't mention the biggest single-raw-file change: a massive overhaul of description color, density, etc of the trees.
You mean this?
Quote from: file_changes.txt
plant_new_trees
      community-gathered density/color data

Ah doh, and now I know to check the file change textfile. I meant in the summary for everything in the update Toady gave, it seems to be the only apparent change that isn't mentioned.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2017, 06:03:10 pm »

I noticed one thing when setting animal people-esque races (can be found out in the wild, don't have civs of their own, but can join civs and become playable when they do) to be parts of a certain civ with the new ANIMAL tokens - they don't actually become playable, despite having the [LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] and [LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES] tokens - is this intended or is something with the animal tokens overriding the CONTROLLABLE token?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2017, 06:08:40 pm »

Anyone tried to raid necromancer tower? I suspect it will give almost the same bug as with vaults - dwarfs slaughter necromancers, grab all their books, and are completely unfhased by nonexistent zombies.
I have, and it works fairly well. One might quibble that it shouldn't be possible for a bunch of dwarves to sneak in unseen (the mental image is hilarious,) but that's only some of the time. Not only are the necromancers and their zombies capable of attacking the intruders, but they can even send an invasion force after them, although it immediately left in my case.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2017, 06:39:00 pm »

On a side note - worldgen artifacts seem to not respect what materials actually exist naturally in the world or not.
Most are fairly normal, but every once in a while I come across stuff like this:

Obviously some of the decorations shouldn't be out of materials like that - I'm aware this was an issue before with Forgotten Beasts; but can we have a token that prevents specific materials from showing up on worldgen artifacts or as materials procedurally genned creatures are made out of? I'm aware this is a mod only issue, but its kind of annoying.

Though, I do admit the demonic iron maul encircled with bands of shadowflames is pretty badass. And so is the missile-powered axe, with what I imagine to be hanging flasks of strength potions.

EDIT:[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT] seems to be a tad borked - it doesn't seem to 100% guarantee that the animals will be present at any of the civs sites.

EDIT2: Nvm - it only applies to creatures without the pet token or roles like "mount" or "wagon puller" - still somewhat annoying - this could be really useful to have semi-sapient "servant" races, or innate intelligent wilderness creature populations, but they just don't show up unless they have a role (at which point it kinda defeats the purpose since "pets" cannot be given orders or jobs).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:39:53 pm by ZM5 »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2017, 07:23:14 pm »

If you tell people you rescued an artifact they won`t care either. They will say "An unknown creature obtained x at y. I don't care one way or another."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2017, 07:36:06 pm »

They should, but I can definitely see me screwing this up in the mill-about code for idle dwarves, as building-drawn rooms are a special case.  I'll check.

I will say that mentioned here that since 42.x location areas such as taverns & temples have been able to work & operate without actually having a meeting zone active & allocated causing most dwarves to attend on a ad-hoc basis to sing dance worship & drink. (as seen in attached save) instead of getting stuck or showing preference for locations over generic meeting zones.

It requires turning off the locations activity area after making the location disabling 'meeting zone' and setting it to 'inactive' before the dwarven public can enter it (easily done by pausing beforehand and unpausing when ready and area disabled) and then dwarves will trot to normal meeting sites after their needs are full and hopefully your museum @Orkel.

Erm i was a bit long winded with my initial mantis report which probably didn't help  :-\ but with any luck could help banish the buggy dwarf milling-about.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5