Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Linux DF delayed / Computer death thread  (Read 158412 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Linux DF delayed / Computer death thread
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 07:42:03 pm »

I'd recommend slapping the linux hard drive in the windows machine, and so long as the hardware isn't too different, it ought to boot fine (unless BIOS issues). 
In future, VMs are an option, but just Dual-booting Win/Linux might be easier.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2017, 10:00:09 pm »

I'd recommend slapping the linux hard drive in the windows machine, and so long as the hardware isn't too different, it ought to boot fine (unless BIOS issues). 
In future, VMs are an option, but just Dual-booting Win/Linux might be easier.

Windows machine is laptop, and the Linux machine is a laptop.

Once the USB enclosure arrives, it might be worth trying then.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2017, 10:31:51 pm »

I would strongly recommend against using WSL on Windows 10, simply because any binaries you produce will likely only run on Ubuntu 16.04 or later. A far better option would be to use VMware Player or VirtualBox to create a virtual machine from your old hard disk (either directly, or by converting it to a disk image file).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2017, 12:13:36 am »

Always had good results from virtualbox myself.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 12:17:22 am »

I personally prefer dual booting. It's easy to do and lets you use all of your system resources. Very useful for crappy old computers with little processing power and memory.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2017, 12:43:26 am »

I would strongly recommend against using WSL on Windows 10, simply because any binaries you produce will likely only run on Ubuntu 16.04 or later. A far better option would be to use VMware Player or VirtualBox to create a virtual machine from your old hard disk (either directly, or by converting it to a disk image file).

Why is that?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2017, 02:02:01 am »

I personally prefer dual booting. It's easy to do and lets you use all of your system resources. Very useful for crappy old computers with little processing power and memory.
Yeah but that would have required putting a full windows install on my system instead of loading an iso temporarily and discarding it when I no longer needed windows anymore.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2017, 02:16:00 am »

Why is that?

Well I think it's less that it will "only run on Ubuntu 16.04 or later" and more that it might cause conflicts on other distros if the distro you are using has an older version of, say, glibc (since that would be dynamically linked and not baked into the DF binary).
Not sure if Ubuntu has custom patches to their system libs also either, but generally when distributing ""universal"" Linux binaries, people tend build them on old old distros to ensure that they work everywhere else (like Debian Stable or CentOS sort of 'old').

I believe that's the idea, anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2017, 02:36:24 am »

Who is in possession of this linux laptop?

Serious suggestion:  Image the drive, and run it in a VM. Compilation will be slower, but it should work fine.

Less serious question:  Any chance of passing ARMHF as the architecture to see what comes out? :P

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2017, 05:55:33 am »

Good point, I didn't think of that.
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2017, 06:57:51 am »

loading an iso temporarily and discarding it when I no longer needed windows anymore.

Speaking of which, would it be possible to compile from a linux live system on the box you use for windows? 
Get live .iso, write to disk or flash drive, boot into it, install dependencies, compile, upload and Bob's your auntie.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

p0m1d0rka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2017, 08:04:15 am »

if you have second pc, try to replace hard disk from it to your linux disk and boot from it. This may work if linux disk alive

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2017, 08:20:53 am »

Why is that?

Well I think it's less that it will "only run on Ubuntu 16.04 or later" and more that it might cause conflicts on other distros if the distro you are using has an older version of, say, glibc (since that would be dynamically linked and not baked into the DF binary).
Not sure if Ubuntu has custom patches to their system libs also either, but generally when distributing ""universal"" Linux binaries, people tend build them on old old distros to ensure that they work everywhere else (like Debian Stable or CentOS sort of 'old').

We're not building DFHack and I'm not building my plugins on old old distro and no-one's complaining.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2017, 08:49:14 am »

if you have second pc, try to replace hard disk from it to your linux disk and boot from it. This may work if linux disk alive

Second and third computers are a laptop and mac mini, neither accept a desktop hard drive.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2017, 12:22:01 pm »

Why is that?

We're not building DFHack and I'm not building my plugins on old old distro and no-one's complaining.

Right, I guess I forgot that gamers don't exactly run old distros (unlike people in some other fields) so that's not an issue. (If the amount of people who game on Arch, myself included in the past, is anything to go by.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7