Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Linux DF delayed / Computer death thread  (Read 158429 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Linux DF delayed / Computer death thread
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2017, 04:27:40 am »

A clever status check in the launcher would solve the whole problem neatly.

If the above library exists, test system lib for version string.
  If version string > than packaged library, rm packaged library.
  Else
     Continue
  end if
Else Continue
end if

That covers all possible cases (Barring strange ones where the host does not use libc, and so there is no native libc at all-- such as say an android tablet or something.)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2018, 03:39:26 pm »

Something tells me Toady would lose his mind over something like GoCD with vagrant, docker et all.

Push to VCS, and the containers spin up, build, push the resulting build archives up to whever they need to be, and tear themselves down. No need for specific hardware. You can do all this local, too - no need for cloud stuff if you're paranoid about where your code goes.

This issue does give me concern, though. I really, really do hope you've got proper backups sorted out. It would seriously suck if a fire or other such physical shenanigan wiped out DF!  :-X I mean, even an occasional backup tape sent to Iron Mountain. Something.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:42:45 pm by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

muffinsofjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2020, 01:45:07 am »

Toady I sent you a message with a solution to your Linux problem but I can't see it in my sent folder. If you didn't get it can you let me know? =)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2020, 05:18:44 pm »

The original issue's been long solved, AFAIK, as we've been reliably getting Linux builds for quite some time.

But the bundled libraries are still annoying. We could probably stand to see this topic unpinned.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2020, 06:00:29 pm »

I tried to run it on Linux and got an error saying I needed SDL_ttf. After installing that, I had to delete a lib from Dwarf Fortress to get it to run.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:29:30 pm by jecowa »

muffinsofjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2020, 12:49:26 pm »

That sounds strange. The error was because of a missing truetype font library and shouldn't require you to delete anything in DF to get it to run.  I have ran it via Arch, Ubuntu, Mint(basically Ubuntu), Raspbian on my RP3+, and tails and never had to do that.

What distro are you using? What DF library did you delete?

muffinsofjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2020, 12:51:49 pm »

The original issue's been long solved, AFAIK, as we've been reliably getting Linux builds for quite some time.

But the bundled libraries are still annoying. We could probably stand to see this topic unpinned.

Interesting that relates to a new comment below yours about having to delete a library in the DF folder after installing the ttf library.  Which libraries are you referring to and is it because they aren't needed or outdated or...? Curious for the future as I try to help people fix their Linux distro's/DF on Linux lots and would love to know more about this.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2020, 01:21:45 pm »

Interesting that relates to a new comment below yours about having to delete a library in the DF folder after installing the ttf library.  Which libraries are you referring to and is it because they aren't needed or outdated or...? Curious for the future as I try to help people fix their Linux distro's/DF on Linux lots and would love to know more about this.

Good explanation here:
Included libstdc++.so.6 breaks DF on Debian Stretch (fix included)

He mentions both libstdc++.so.6 and libgcc_s.so.1, but I only had a problem with libstdc++.so.6. The Linux LNP has "libstdc++.so.6" renamed to "libstdc++.so.6.bak" to deal with the issue. lethosor has an idea for a possible better solution in the reply.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2020, 11:22:48 pm »

Oh hey, that's actually my thread :D

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2023, 08:22:27 am »

Not sure this is the right place to ask as this thread seems pretty dead, but is there any news on progress of the native Linux Steam version?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2023, 10:39:17 am »

Not sure this is the right place to ask as this thread seems pretty dead, but is there any news on progress of the native Linux Steam version?
Putnam is actively working on the port. There's been a bunch of unforseen issues, but she's working through them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]