Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: New release !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 37932 times)

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: New release !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2017, 03:23:30 pm »

Player: "Someone made a healthy recovery and is living a normal life!"
Community: "IMPOSSIBLE WE MUST EXPERIMENT ON HIM TO DISCOVER HIS SECRETS"
Player: "Actually he just died in one of the most agonizing ways known to man"
Community: "Oh, whatever then. Throw him in with the others"

Man, this place is wack yo.
welcome to dwarf fortress, enjoy your stay
IKR. Been here a while, but its still hilarious seeing nuggets of goodness like this.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2017, 03:27:49 pm »

Player: "Someone made a healthy recovery and is living a normal life!"
Community: "IMPOSSIBLE WE MUST EXPERIMENT ON HIM TO DISCOVER HIS SECRETS"
Player: "Actually he just died in one of the most agonizing ways known to man"
Community: "Oh, whatever then. Throw him in with the others"

Man, this place is wack yo.
welcome to dwarf fortress, enjoy your stay
IKR. Been here a while, but its still hilarious seeing nuggets of goodness like this.
I'm interested in showing somebody that has never heard of DF all of the horrifying things the community has done, dwarven daycare, mermaid genocides, the elf slaughter, and other stuff like that
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2017, 06:02:28 pm »

That's what I do when I talk about it to people

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2017, 07:22:24 pm »

That's what I do when I talk about it to people
how do they react
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2017, 08:01:16 pm »

They're mostly just like "oohhh...."

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2017, 09:22:31 pm »

So... I sent a couple of squads out to steal a book from a nearby necromancer's tower.

They came back with fifteen.

Is this a known bug, or...?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

LexJackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2017, 09:41:58 pm »

So... I sent a couple of squads out to steal a book from a nearby necromancer's tower.

They came back with fifteen.

Is this a known bug, or...?

Its not a bug. It appears squads will attempt to carry off as many books as possible (as they're artefacts). A normal raid will get anywhere from 3 to 10 books, even on small settlements. I do it to build up a great library in my fort. I would imagine that due to the necromancers abilities, they produce a ridiculous amount of max level books. Its also not unrealistic to believe that dwarfs can carry 15 books with a 10 dwarf squad.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2017, 01:37:14 pm »

Started a new Fortress just to test out some things -

Created my normal Four-Person Squads for local work - defending the Fortress, hunting down giant animals, so on.

Created a Ten-Person Artifact Squad and sent them to a Tower.  They were able to sneak in and steal four books.  But on return two of the soldiers, Mercs, were no longer part of the Squad.  And I put them back in and sent the Squad to the same Tower.  They were able to sneak in AGAIN And steal four books - copies of the same FOUR books.  I guess the necromancers just like to make copies?  And the Mercs, once again, removed themselves from the Squad.  So I assigned local Dwarfs to the Artifact Squad and put the Mercs into one of the Four-Person Squads.  The Artifact Squad was sent out, this time detected, KILLED at least two necromancers and came back empty handed (with a few missing teeth and fingers).  All Ten were still in the Squad.   :)

Most of the books disappeared as visitors claimed a few and one seems to have been claimed by the Mayor(?).   ???

I have a locally made Artifact on display in the library but plan to move it to a proper Museum later.  Other Artifacts made in the Fortress were claimed by their creators as family heirlooms.  Did have some problems putting books on display but I think that was because some were claimed or already taken by visitors.  The message seems to say the item was lost or destroyed.   :-\

I have a ton of visitors but have only allowed a few performers to join but take any hired swords who ask to join.  Only had one were-beast attack so far and no vampires (or they learned not to announce themselves).   ;D

Raided a Elven Retreat and was able to grab two books without being seen.

Also explored a few Elven ruins on the off-chance they could have something.  Even visited the ruins of my first Fortress in this save that lasted less then a year.  I KNOW it once had three Artifacts but none were listed and none were found.

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2017, 02:24:59 pm »

-snip-
Toady has said that non-historical figures like tower zombies don't take part in defending against raids, which is why it was so easy for you to retrieve the books. He also said that he will fix this before this round of updates is done.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2017, 05:56:18 pm »

HUH? WHAT? Is this new? I noticed that two dwarves can use the same forge at once.
I ordered a steel helm and a steel flask at my forge to prime two unskilled dwarves for a armorsmith and metalcrafter mood.
The metalcrafter took the job while the armorsmith was already busy crafting on the forge. Both jobs had a green A for active on them at the forge's q screen.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2017, 06:10:29 pm »

HUH? WHAT? Is this new? I noticed that two dwarves can use the same forge at once.
I ordered a steel helm and a steel flask at my forge to prime two unskilled dwarves for a armorsmith and metalcrafter mood.
The metalcrafter took the job while the armorsmith was already busy crafting on the forge. Both jobs had a green A for active on them at the forge's q screen.

Nah, that's not new; I noticed the same thing in 43.05, and I think it's a bug.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2017, 06:19:01 pm »

It doesn't break anything though. Both jobs were completed just fine, although I must admit that they did not actually forge at the anvil at the same time. One was getting coal and steel while the other was one step ahead and already forging. Dropping off the first ingredient did not interrupt the forging though, gave no problems.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist Dimplebooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2017, 09:01:23 pm »

I have a ton of visitors but have only allowed a few performers to join but take any hired swords who ask to join.  Only had one were-beast attack so far and no vampires (or they learned not to announce themselves).   ;D

I think I had a vampire in an earlier fortress in this version.
I never saw him, so I can't be sure.

From time to time dwarves were 'pale' when they woke up, which I saw in other vampire fortresses, but they didn't die...
I'm confused by that...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2017, 03:33:09 am »

@martinuzz: I believe that bug has been reported on the bug tracker.

@Urist Dimplebooks: It's possible for vampire victims to survive and just be pale, although that's not very common (survival chance might be dependent on physical traits). It's a clear vampire sign though, and most likely the next victim won't survive (DF vampires don't possess the skill to stop feeding to keep their victims alive for later reuse, at least not currently).

Urist Dimplebooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2017, 10:16:16 am »

@martinuzz: I believe that bug has been reported on the bug tracker.

@Urist Dimplebooks: It's possible for vampire victims to survive and just be pale, although that's not very common (survival chance might be dependent on physical traits). It's a clear vampire sign though, and most likely the next victim won't survive (DF vampires don't possess the skill to stop feeding to keep their victims alive for later reuse, at least not currently).

I didn't have a single vampire related death, yet saw a couple of pale dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15