Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: New release !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 37682 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New release !!SCIENCE!!
« on: November 22, 2017, 11:49:04 pm »

Post your !!SCIENCE!! about the new release here. The intention of this is to give the wiki writers material to work with and to produce a sort of a manual for other players to refer to. I'll participate as well, if I can.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New release !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:07:48 am »

I'm wondering if anyone else has been getting a crash when you generate worlds past 50 years.
Seems to crash after you accept a world and it is finishing placing Sites.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:12:54 am »

I'm wondering if anyone else has been getting a crash when you generate worlds past 50 years.
Seems to crash after you accept a world and it is finishing placing Sites.
I get a crash near the end of a 125-year worldgen when it's "finalizing sites."
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:26:21 am »

Try genning pocket-sized worlds.
Yeah its kind of boring, but it seem to work for me.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 12:28:36 am »

It's a bit hit and miss right now. One cause has already been found, so we'll be a bit more stable tomorrow hopefully.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 12:31:07 am »

Okay, got it to work with very short history, which means the only artifacts in the world are slabs. Oh well.

I made a squad and set it to retrieve the closest slab.

Preliminary pictures.

Spoiler: Civilization screen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Retrieval mission (click to show/hide)

Will see what happens.

EDIT:
Update. Mission Test has returned. With the fucking slab. These completely novice, random peasant dwarves just cleared a vault and got the slab. I think this counts as a bug. Anyone care to report it?

Two interesting things to note:
  • The slab showed up at the edge of the map, not in anyone's inventory.
  • Everyone that returned is marked as a new arrival.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:42:31 am by bloop_bleep »

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 12:44:15 am »

Goblins demand an identity instead of attacking on sight?

“Weeeelllll good sir / ma’m / thing, I happen to live here! Glory to... er... our civ!”

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 12:47:56 am »

Ooh, cool thing -- in the Reports screen it lists the Mission Report as an entry. It shows the path that your dwarves took and lists the events that transpired.

(didn't include the map because the image would be too big)

I still think it's really OP that the squad managed to sneak into a vault without being detected.

I wonder how many slabs I can steal before I'm caught?

EDIT: A dwarf is carrying a log that he was holding off the map. What will happen, I wonder?

EDIT 2: They have returned. Successfully, again. The guy with the log has brought it back with him, and now has the slab in his inventory too.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:59:10 am by bloop_bleep »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 12:52:54 am »

I wonder how many slabs I can steal before I'm caught?
"Return the slab!"

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 01:06:59 am »

They returned again... but this time, with two slabs??? Maybe one of them was carrying one earlier, but I made sure the log guy put his in the stockpile....

EDIT: Another slab. This time, I trained up two war dogs for them to use. Perhaps they will get detected if they have war dogs with them?

EDIT 2: Nope. I have another slab now.

Interesting observation -- one of the dwarves is completely covered in water, despite not being this way before. Perhaps he waded through some water on his voyage and thus got wet?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:23:56 am by bloop_bleep »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 01:29:16 am »

Two people just came to the fort asking for "sanctuary."

Seems an awful lot like a spy. Should I accept?

EDIT: Uh..... guys..... I tried to find these people in the unit menu.... but I couldn't find them.... and it turns out they are my dogs.

My dogs are asking to stay in the fortress for "sanctuary." Very, very weird bug.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:31:01 am by bloop_bleep »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 01:30:55 am »

Seems an awful lot like a spy. Should I accept?
Sounds like it could lead to ¤FUN¤
edit: And that means yes.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 01:32:06 am »

The question remains.... should I or shouldn't I accept?
Nevermind, answered in edit. Let's hope it doesn't crash.

Already many strange bugs found.

EDIT: Hmm...nothing changed....other than that the dogs don't follow their owners out of the map anymore. They're still listed as pets and are in the livestock unit menu and everything.

EDIT 2: No wait they did follow them.

EDIT 3: Okay, got all the slabs in the world. Am now waiting for the goblins to siege me for them.

EDIT 4: My dogs asked for sanctuary.... again. I made a copy of the save this time so it can be provided for bugfixing reasons if need be.

EDIT 5: Holy shit, just discovered ~50 z-level tall cavern.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:53:28 am by bloop_bleep »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 02:06:14 am »

Equipping squad with weapons and sending them out to raid ~50 pop gobbo site. Will return with results.

EDIT: Um... one of my dwarves just inexplicably vanished from the military screen... doesn't say "traveling" like it did before or anything... not a good sign.

EDIT: Raid was successful but one dwarf died.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 02:13:56 am by bloop_bleep »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15