Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: New release !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 37678 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: New release !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 02:19:08 am »

I wonder.. Does any tilesets even need to be updated? Or will most work just fine in this version?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 04:07:00 am »

My dogs are asking to stay in the fortress for "sanctuary." Very, very weird bug.
In all fairness, this sounds like fairly realistic canine behavior. Did you perchance send their owners off on a raid? The poor doggywogs might not realize they're coming back...
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 04:42:59 am »

I am thinking sending squads of on impossible quests might be a good way to get rid unwanted migrants.

I am further considering its application in trash disposal. Just need to figure out how to load up the doomed dwarfs with all my unwanted stuff.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 06:30:04 am »

When I'm free, I'm going to see whether I can nick a Necromancer slab from a tower and make everyone necros.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 07:45:09 am »

The slab is not too useful in fort mode (or at least, has not been so in the past.)  What you want is a BOOK. :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 07:55:38 am »

I am thinking sending squads of on impossible quests might be a good way to get rid unwanted migrants.

I am further considering its application in trash disposal. Just need to figure out how to load up the doomed dwarfs with all my unwanted stuff.
Expendable dorf expedition trash disposal seems very over complicated, given that you normally have the garbage trucks (a.k.a. caravans), dumping into magma, and, loading dorf up and dumping into magma options. Of course, it's valid !SCIENCE! to do it once just to see if it works.

I wonder.. Does any tilesets even need to be updated? Or will most work just fine in this version?
Pedestals and display cabinets are new to this version, so some kind of handling of those is needed. It may very well be that they get displayed with the image of something else, though, and many tile sets thus may still be usable, but I haven't tried.

Edit: There's an alpha LNP for the new DF with (not yet updated) tile sets...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:07:30 am by PatrikLundell »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 08:06:55 am »

I am wondering if friendly necromancer dwarves will use their powers while on artifact raids. They are kinda only useful for having undead cleanup crews in Fort Mode (at least in my experience), but if they can bring the !FUN! when out and about and under AI control, that would be interesting.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 09:25:31 am »

PTW
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 10:01:27 am »

Two people just came to the fort asking for "sanctuary."

EDIT: Uh..... guys..... I tried to find these people in the unit menu.... but I couldn't find them.... and it turns out they are my dogs.

My dogs are asking to stay in the fortress for "sanctuary." Very, very weird bug.

Strong indication it is linked to the worldgen animal recruits i think. Or the dog got recruited as a spy by a goblin civilisation, all and all very weird PTW & linked it to mantis.

A question - was that dog's name acquired after or before the petition? And are they still called "Stray Dog" and unnamed despite being given a formal dwarven name in the petition screen? Some more detail would be great please.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:14:30 am by FantasticDorf »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 10:52:38 am »

Was it frequent before that you'd get at least one visitor before you even set up a meeting hall, let alone a tavern? I've got a bard in RomanceGears that popped up early.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 10:58:37 am »

Yep, got more then 7 visitors before getting meeting hall. Never happened before, bug of this version.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 11:10:50 am »

I'm wondering if anyone else has been getting a crash when you generate worlds past 50 years.
Seems to crash after you accept a world and it is finishing placing Sites.

Crash seems to be related to the game's screen size of all things. If you let worldgen run through with the default windowed mode, it'll avoid the crash (from what I've seen, at least).
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 11:25:28 am »

Yep, got more then 7 visitors before getting meeting hall. Never happened before, bug of this version.

I set my tavern to private so people could just socialize. I've had that bard still here, and now a Monster Hunter. So at least those guys work now!

ETA: Also getting a lot more people with the full fishing skill suite active. And had a couple legendary crafters pop up. Which makes me think they probably did some artifact building of their own. Did Toady ever say that artifact generation was upped?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:38:18 am by Urist McVoyager »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 11:41:19 am »

To clarify, the dogs were war-trained and were sent off with their owners on raids. In fact, I think they requested "sanctuary" again every time they returned from a raid.

Will upload the save when I get a chance.

EDIT:
I'm wondering if anyone else has been getting a crash when you generate worlds past 50 years.
Seems to crash after you accept a world and it is finishing placing Sites.

Crash seems to be related to the game's screen size of all things. If you let worldgen run through with the default windowed mode, it'll avoid the crash (from what I've seen, at least).
Really? I'll try that now.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:44:06 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2017, 11:58:07 am »

quick question for your science, Do you notice any kind of fps differences when not sending missions and while a mission is underway?
Should we have embarked right next to a goblin fortress?
Yes we should have, no Goblins yet *yet*
Hi. I'm Dwarf fortress, and I'm a crashaholic
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15