Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: New release !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 37916 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: New release !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2017, 06:49:28 am »

My best guess is that it determines how many people it will piss off when stolen. 1 dwarf / one family of dwarves / one site (offering to site) / one civilization (offering to civilization).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 18, 2017, 10:35:26 am »

And who has an initial claim to it of course.

I havent gotten much good science going on, but ive noticed when i have a squad of three semt off to acquire an artifact they often have trouble making it off the map as a group. Once only a single dwarf made it off the map, and came back before either of the other two even left. It was a really short trip, though, and he didnt manage to acquire the book i sent him after.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2017, 11:09:47 am »

Has anybody found out how to solve the problem of missing or destroyed Artifacts that are just on the ground being ignored by people?  Do I have to Retire the Fortress, become an Adventurer in the Fortress, pick up the items, put them onto the pedestals, retire the Adventurer, and restart the Fortress?  I don't like the idea of retiring a Fortress - heard strange things happen to it when retired - fields and stockpiles get messed up and such.   ???

Try forbidding/unforbidding it, or using DFHack's thing to clean up items that people dropped on the ground. I think it's cleanowned or fixowned or tweakowned or something.

In other news—A dwarven child in my fort just made an artifact ring and claimed it, not as a gift to the civilization or as a family heirloom, but as a personal treasure. Is this new?

I think I figured it out...many of the Artifacts made inside the Fortress are OWNED by the creators and can't be put on display.  While Artifacts stolen from other places are public property(?) and can be put on display.  I was able to display four Artifacts (books) taken from other places.  So my Museum has stuff in it now.

I was also able to link the Museum to the Library and now people go to both to ponder subjects.  I made a Statue Garden, linked it to the lone Interfaith Temple I have, and now people pray in both locations.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Urist Dimplebooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2017, 03:26:57 pm »

Has anybody found out how to solve the problem of missing or destroyed Artifacts that are just on the ground being ignored by people?  Do I have to Retire the Fortress, become an Adventurer in the Fortress, pick up the items, put them onto the pedestals, retire the Adventurer, and restart the Fortress?  I don't like the idea of retiring a Fortress - heard strange things happen to it when retired - fields and stockpiles get messed up and such.   ???

Try forbidding/unforbidding it, or using DFHack's thing to clean up items that people dropped on the ground. I think it's cleanowned or fixowned or tweakowned or something.

In other news—A dwarven child in my fort just made an artifact ring and claimed it, not as a gift to the civilization or as a family heirloom, but as a personal treasure. Is this new?

I think I figured it out...many of the Artifacts made inside the Fortress are OWNED by the creators and can't be put on display.  While Artifacts stolen from other places are public property(?) and can be put on display.  I was able to display four Artifacts (books) taken from other places.  So my Museum has stuff in it now.

I was also able to link the Museum to the Library and now people go to both to ponder subjects.  I made a Statue Garden, linked it to the lone Interfaith Temple I have, and now people pray in both locations.

I'm displaying every artifact, that was created in my fortress; heirloom and public.
In adventure mode I asked around and dwarves seem to give quests related to their family's heirloom but not the property of their town.
It could very well be a feature, that is pretty much unimportant in fortress mode.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 18, 2017, 03:53:07 pm »

I'm displaying every artifact, that was created in my fortress; heirloom and public.
In adventure mode I asked around and dwarves seem to give quests related to their family's heirloom but not the property of their town.
It could very well be a feature, that is pretty much unimportant in fortress mode.

Well, now I am just confused.   :(

Urist Dimplebooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 18, 2017, 06:34:06 pm »

Well, now I am just confused.   :(

That's kind of your own fault. You knew what you were in for, when you downloaded the new version.  ;)

Acolyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2017, 06:38:46 pm »

Maybe it was .... Precious to him.....  ;)

- Shane

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 19, 2017, 11:02:16 am »

So, I discovered a dwarven fortress in legends mode, that apparently had been embroiled several times in water rights, and territory disputes. With an angelic vault. I didn't know water rights was a thing, let alone with vaults.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 19, 2017, 11:37:16 am »

What would you do when some angelic bastards keep turning your well into holy water? Can't let them get away with their bullying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvFpBOe8eY
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2017, 01:36:20 pm »

I raided another Fortress and now they sent a small army to put me under siege.  What happens when my Artifact Squad shows up from a different raid?  I assume there will be a fight...maybe I should get my squads ready for it?   So many new things to explore or that can kill my game!   ;D

Urist Dimplebooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2017, 09:42:29 am »

I think I found a bug with pedestals.
I tried to pretty up a passage room at the eastern quaters 3rd lvl with a display of glass crafts but messed up a bit.
I first found out it's possible to display more than one item to one pedestal. However, since they didn't carry it over I thought I'm mistaken and set up 3 more to move the pieces there. Then I set them to the displayed items AFTER I stopped the original display. They were completely ignored though. Seems dwarves ignore items that are ON a pedestal even if not displayed. So I deconstructed the pedestal which led to hundreds of messages, that the items were displaced. After stopping all displays and resetting them, the same happened. I only managed to stop this madness by de- and reconstructing all pedestals.

BruceyBoyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2017, 12:22:33 pm »

I sent the army to raid a nearby goblin pit.

They sneaked in and sneaked out again. No hostile action was taken. That's not how you war, guys ;_;

Seriously, I was hoping for mass murder of the goblins I'm at war with. Turns out they just sneak in and then leave peacefully.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2017, 01:03:21 pm »

They sneaked in and sneaked out again. No hostile action was taken. That's not how you war, guys ;_;

Seriously, I was hoping for mass murder of the goblins I'm at war with. Turns out they just sneak in and then leave peacefully.

Think of it as the equivalent of those raids where you get the announcement "An ambush! Curse them!" moments before they scurry off the map again because they were just passing through.

Also, it might be just as well: goblin pits are generally ludicrously overpopulated, and I'd imagine even an elite squad could be overcome by numbers alone...

BruceyBoyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2017, 01:25:41 pm »

Think of it as the equivalent of those raids where you get the announcement "An ambush! Curse them!" moments before they scurry off the map again because they were just passing through.

Also, it might be just as well: goblin pits are generally ludicrously overpopulated, and I'd imagine even an elite squad could be overcome by numbers alone...

The population is listed as "~60", so I feel like I could probably handle it with my 15 legendary supreme death machines. (there are however multi-thousand-pop fortresses around if I ever feel like arranging any noble an Unfortunate Accident with Extreme Prejudice - though my queen has no item preferences AND got elected mayor, so I don't think I'll need any accidents soon)

Come to think of it, can remote squads be overcome by numbers? I thought they could only fight duels in the worldgen-based combat system these used... (meaning my elite dwarves would just fight a ridiculous number of 1v1 duels)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2017, 03:06:35 pm »

yeah, that is kind of strange the way it works.
If you keep sending them though, eventually someone will spot them, and they will then have a battle.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15