Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Endless war between two dead civilizations  (Read 3081 times)

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Endless war between two dead civilizations
« on: November 23, 2017, 07:22:20 am »

I don't know if this is a known issue, as I only recently started playing around with Legends Viewer again.

So, in the world I just generated (up to year 125), the only currently ongoing war is a conflict between elves and humans; both these civilizations are not on the world map, are completely empty, and for both the "last known sites" were in the year 123, meaning for the last 2 years both the civilizations in the conflict have been dead.

The last event in the humans' history is a battle they lost in year 67; the last events for elves involve various historical figures linking to the civ, but they all stop in the year 80.
Checking the sites, there are still hamlets and retreats in the world, but all of them are only inhabited by various animals, no humans, elves or any other intelligent creature.

Is this something common, wars never stopping because the two civilizations involved are dead and gone before properly ending the fight?
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Endless war between two dead civilizations
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 07:41:18 am »

Yes it is common.  If one side is too badly damaged and the other side is still not inclined to make peace the war can go until there is nobody left in a [MILITARY_GOALS] position to make peace.  If the winning side is then wiped out in turn by a third party, which is fairly common because they are weaker as a result of the losses of the war, they also do not have any position that can make peace.  Hence we end with eternal wars that do not do anything. 

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 07:44:48 am »

Thanks for the answer. By the way, are hamlets and retreats inhabited by animals normal too?
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:11:12 pm »

The animal populations are not removed after normal inhabitants die. I saw it quite a few times.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 02:43:07 pm »

The animal populations are not removed after normal inhabitants die. I saw it quite a few times.

I do not really see how it is exactly unrealistic. 

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 07:40:28 am »

Now I desire to see two civs raising as ghosts and fighting for eternity

I do not really see how it is exactly unrealistic. 

Maybe he was talking about civs having only animals as inhabitants? And never counting as dead because there is somewhere in the hamlet the venerable Mr. Horsington Horseshoe  descendant of the horses that were owned by humans before their fall
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 07:52:07 am »

In the current version, horses talk on occassion and feel the need to commune with their Gods. I'd say that qualifies them to carry on a civilization. There's even the as yet unsolved, incredibly rare edge case of 'horse' being a selectable adventurer race under the right conditions (mostly solved, but last report on the matter was that it could still happen - don't think anyone's noticed it yet).

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 08:53:22 am »

In the current version, horses talk on occassion and feel the need to commune with their Gods. I'd say that qualifies them to carry on a civilization. There's even the as yet unsolved, incredibly rare edge case of 'horse' being a selectable adventurer race under the right conditions (mostly solved, but last report on the matter was that it could still happen - don't think anyone's noticed it yet).

Next adv challenge: Reroll worlds to accomplish these things. These bugs are what makes an excellent game the best game in the world.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 09:08:40 pm »

adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:44:17 am »

Glitterhoof!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 04:16:38 pm »

Every October, the kingdom of spooky and the kingdom of the fuckboys wage war, skeleton rises with their swords draw and  a trombone on their mouth and dance-battle till the end
(??)
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 08:50:14 pm »

Undead dance-battle? Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7hI1STc1ps

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 03:02:31 am »

Glitterhoof!

For those not familiar with the above, read nanomaster's epic Crusader Kings 2 stock ironman game "From Norse to Horse", in which an amazing sequence of technically legal rules abuse and very careful play leads to a dynasty of horses restoring the Roman Empire. 

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 07:10:10 am »

Endless war between two dead civilizations?
This kind of thing happens in real life too.
http://articles.latimes.com/1985-01-20/news/mn-10468_1_ancient-carthage
Pages: [1] 2