Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02 Released  (Read 127056 times)

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02 Released
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2017, 02:58:23 pm »

Raids now are not a challenge at all. Naked unarmed dwarves easily rob anyone. Very rarely anyone is crippled or dies.
Some people say that now we have a great way to get rid of unnecessary dwarves. This is not true. They return again and again.
In addition, they bring dozens of books that are literally created from the air.
To make one sheet of the parchment in the fortress, you need a whole cow skin and other ingredients. And still, books do not consider the value of the components, right?
But any NPC during worldgen can make dozens of books from the air. And when you start the game, there are already thousands of books in the world. And your raiders are pulling them into the fortress. It devalues ​​own book printing.
I do not feel any satisfaction in such an easy way to take away the candies from babies. Not only books, but also any artifacts in general.

Yes. In my science thread, I was able to retrieve all the demon-binding slabs in the world with only 5 completely untrained embark embark dwarves. It was a very young world, though, so that might have something to do with it.

Reminds me of the "whoever attacks first wins" site battles in world generation.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2017, 03:40:42 pm »

Do you advise me to try this one wait for a new bug-fix release ?

If you want to have fun wait a bit. There are some game breaking bugs atm, the hundreds of visitors is one surely to give your fortress an early FPS death.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2017, 03:42:27 pm »

If you want to have fun wait a bit. There are some game breaking bugs atm, the hundreds of visitors is one surely to give your fortress an early FPS death.

thanks ! I'll wait, then.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2017, 08:33:09 pm »

Try it. Frequent crashes, but there's a workaround. Save before stopping fast-travel in adv mode.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2017, 09:10:00 pm »

They're arriving earlier than they should, but there doesn't seem to be many more than you usually get when you have a tavern set up. Especially if you're usually prone to attracting performance troupes. Artifact questers are basically the same, just more heavily armed.

Adventurer crashes are more problematic, sure.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2017, 09:36:40 pm »

They're arriving earlier than they should, but there doesn't seem to be many more than you usually get when you have a tavern set up. Especially if you're usually prone to attracting performance troupes. Artifact questers are basically the same, just more heavily armed.

Adventurer crashes are more problematic, sure.

Previously you would be getting 140 visitors in the second year of your fortress? I don't recall that. Sure, it won't happen in every game, but there is a bug report open for this problem (and another for they arriving early)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2017, 09:59:31 pm »

Yes. That's what earlier means. Before usual. That's why there's a bug report. 140 visitors over the long term isn't an unusual thing though. Taverns have always attracted more visitors than they should (bug or unfinished feature?Probably bug). Whether it kills your fps is up to your computer, I guess.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2017, 03:07:59 am »

It's mainly to try it in Fortress mode, as i have tried a lot adventure mode in the previous version.
I'll wait ! I think the next version is very soon, now, anyway.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2017, 03:45:47 am »

Will the next, bugfix-y release break save compatibility? And will the crash on entering some hamlets in worlds with long history be fixed?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2017, 03:58:14 am »

Will the next, bugfix-y release break save compatibility? And will the crash on entering some hamlets in worlds with long history be fixed?
The whole artifact release didn't break save compatibility, so I doubt some bug fixes will break it. Has happened though...
Better off keeping an eye on the bug tracker to see what'll be fixed.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2017, 02:16:54 pm »

Your crashing was related to your modding.  Problems with body parts, materials and tissues invite crashes.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2017, 03:18:48 pm »

Two things I noticed - one is modding related, I admit - maybe they could be fixed at some point:

1. Citizens sent on invasions need to have their rooms reassigned each time.

2. Occasionally, I get migrants that aren't of my forts main race - problem with them is that while they have jobs and the like, they cannot be actually given labors aside from their default one - it just says "no labors available". Don't know how intended/unintended it is.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2017, 08:23:28 pm »

Your crashing was related to your modding.  Problems with body parts, materials and tissues invite crashes.

It's not like I needed those two creatures until DFHack comes along, so, I guess I'm tossing them.

EDIT: By the way, once I removed those two or three creatures, it crashed again, this time spamming "Human Monk: site walker could not find walkable area
"
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:20:36 pm by KittyTac »

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2017, 04:46:18 pm »

2. Occasionally, I get migrants that aren't of my forts main race - problem with them is that while they have jobs and the like, they cannot be actually given labors aside from their default one - it just says "no labors available". Don't know how intended/unintended it is.

I've been having some fun with this.  A few of these "visitors" have even been in fist-fights with some of the citizens -- which shows they fit in quite nicely.  One of the visitors was a bard and actually raised the happiness level of nearly 1/4 of the population.  Another visitor is a monster slayer.  Considering I didn't start out with any capable military, that's a bonus too.  It makes for some interesting dynamics and definitely adds to the immersion. 

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 04:48:40 pm by Clatch »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2017, 04:55:58 pm »

I've been having some fun with this.  A few of these "visitors" have even been in fist-fights with some of the citizens -- which shows they fit in quite nicely.  One of the visitors was a bard and actually raised the happiness level of nearly 1/4 of the population.  Another visitor is a monster slayer.  Considering I didn't start out with any capable military, that's a bonus too.  It makes for some interesting dynamics and definitely adds to the immersion. 

Aren't they just regular visitors?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16