Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02 Released  (Read 126501 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02 Released
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2017, 09:25:18 pm »

The main problem here is that non-historical populations aren't used in raids yet, and vaults have no historical figures.  There were some snags with that, but we'll do it before moving on.  Having to very likely fight even one of those beasts will make slabs properly difficult to obtain.  The same applies to necro towers and other sites, where most of the potential opponents are non-historical.
This confuses me. I've sent my dwarves to various towers, and they've tangled with zombies of no apparent significance. Are the undead a special case?

If they had names, they were historical figures raised from the dead -- the necromancers do this at the battlefields, etc.  Historical zombies remain historical figures, so they get picked up in raids.
That's just the issue; they didn't. Perhaps they somehow became historical figures without gaining a name, but they were simply listed as "a zombie [race.]"

I did further testing, and a look at one of my dwarves' kills yields the following:
Three Kills
a zombie human, b. 90 d. 250
a zombie human, b. 62 d. 250
a zombie human, b. 101 d. 250

So, I suppose they are historical figures, but something odd is still going on.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2017, 10:00:26 pm »

I noticed checking something today that I had three unnamed human corpses as historical figures after world gen, so that might be it.  I'm not sure what causes that to happen -- perhaps a raised corpse in world gen that wins a battle?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2017, 10:47:28 pm »

Will the site walker crash be fixed next release? That hurts both my legit adventurers and my genocide-level slade dragon.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2017, 11:24:50 pm »

Will the site walker crash be fixed next release? That hurts both my legit adventurers and my genocide-level slade dragon.
Was site walker error confirmed to be the cause of the crash? I get that without crashing in both this version and 43.05.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2017, 11:33:16 pm »

Was site walker error confirmed to be the cause of the crash? I get that without crashing in both this version and 43.05.

Yes it is.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2017, 11:59:59 pm »

Thanks for continuing to report bugs on the tracker!  This upcoming Canada trip and other circumstances have eaten up more time than expected, so it'll be a few weeks, unfortunately, but I'll dive in as soon as I can!  I know the excess visitors in the fort are a problem, and the crashes, unknown creatures, lackluster companion enthusiasm, and artifact duplication are hindering adv mode, at the very least.

As perhaps reported in FotF at some point, stress is on the menu.  Not moving on to magic until that's handled -- alcohol might still make people oblivious in the short-term, but we're going to make them reflect on bad things, and also look at the overall stress level from all the minor positive events, etc., until we're more where we want to be.

On invasion frequency:  has being able to raid helped?  I have a few mixed impressions; more would be welcome.

Morale and http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7161 : it looks like I was in there fixing a lot of issues.  It's kind of a catch-all bug report, and the issues I fixed look like they took many, many forms.  Saves for current issues would appreciated, with the caveat that the new identity/stranger issues are on the menu, and we might want to get that out of the way first.

I noticed a few changes in the encoding of and whitespaces in plant_new_trees.txt in the latest versions:

• The encoding was changed from "UTF-8" to "Western (Mac OS Roman)". (Actually it probably just removed the encoding declaration and my text editor is defaulting to Western encoding.)
  • The indentations were changed from tabs to 4 spaces.
  • On line 2687, there were two tags on a single line (but separated by lots of spaces) when they had been on separate lines in previous versions.

It probably doesn't make any difference in gameplay, but if you want it, here's a version that matches the formatting of previous versions perfectly (including the Tab-Space-Tab indentation format for the "SOLID_DENSITY" lines and the line following):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/65lsif2w4bc6e75/DF_v0.44.x%20plant_new_trees%20whitespace%20fixes.zip

Sorry if these are silly things to mention.

Ah, yeah, I'd like to have them all in the same format.  I'll use the adjusted file for next time.  Thanks!

All was fine. Kept playing. It's still playable, but freezes for a few seconds every few minutes. Possible memory leak? I don't think so, because 30s after opening a new instance of DF just now, I had another semi-hang. It may have something to do with how many pets I have. Never had this happen in any other version and my rig isn't exactly shite. I don't wanna make a bug report unless I'm sure it is a bug and not my rig.

It's quite possible the new release introduced this sort of thing, the way rumors and a few other features work, so it'd be worth checking out.

Raids now are not a challenge at all. Naked unarmed dwarves easily rob anyone. Very rarely anyone is crippled or dies.
Some people say that now we have a great way to get rid of unnecessary dwarves. This is not true. They return again and again.
In addition, they bring dozens of books that are literally created from the air.
To make one sheet of the parchment in the fortress, you need a whole cow skin and other ingredients. And still, books do not consider the value of the components, right?
But any NPC during worldgen can make dozens of books from the air. And when you start the game, there are already thousands of books in the world. And your raiders are pulling them into the fortress. It devalues ​​own book printing.
I do not feel any satisfaction in such an easy way to take away the candies from babies. Not only books, but also any artifacts in general.

Yes. In my science thread, I was able to retrieve all the demon-binding slabs in the world with only 5 completely untrained embark embark dwarves. It was a very young world, though, so that might have something to do with it.

The main problem here is that non-historical populations aren't used in raids yet, and vaults have no historical figures.  There were some snags with that, but we'll do it before moving on.  Having to very likely fight even one of those beasts will make slabs properly difficult to obtain.  The same applies to necro towers and other sites, where most of the potential opponents are non-historical.

Those bugs are much more than  a hindrance for me. Especially the bug with people not reacting to you being a bard, they have completely ruined adventure mode for me in this release (and i only really play adventure mode, so thats something big) but at least fort mode works -_-
Im excited to see the canada talk :P
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2017, 05:09:36 am »

If you still want crashing worldgen parameters,

Spoiler: these (click to show/hide)

Consistently crash on different years on linux 64-bit without rejections.

I also got this message when c-esc toggle-pausing, which managed to continue further:

Though that happened only once out of many times.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:11:07 am by Fleeting Frames »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2017, 07:08:19 am »

Thanks for the feedback Toady. I will help however I can by reporting bugs so we achieve a stable version before the myth & magic update (that I am as eager to see in development as everybody is)!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:00 am »

Yeah, we want to leave the game in good shape.  And hopefully no weapon crash traps...
Those don't crash anymore, same for ammo - glad that you're working on the fixes though, cant wait to see what the next releases bring!

Also I have noticed the weirdness with some unnamed zombies being historical figures as well. My best guess would either be combat-related or perhaps a "settling" event in the tower.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2017, 11:22:16 am »

Sorry I'm late... There seems to be a new bug where FBs/megabeasts appear on the map and just hang out at the perimeter without pathing into the fort.  This certainly isn't a problem with smaller foes like werebeasts!  Any chance you could take a look and make sure the code didn't get broken?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2017, 12:16:01 pm »

I think that one's already been reported, though I could be thinking of a different one.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2017, 12:45:04 pm »

Spoiler: quote jecowa (click to show/hide)

Ah, yeah, I'd like to have them all in the same format.  I'll use the adjusted file for next time.  Thanks!

Glad to help!

Just 3 more small changes on a couple of lines. Some "smart" apostrophes were messed due to the encoding issue. In this version hey are changed into traditional vertical apostrophes (which is the same type of apostrophe used in the rest of the document).

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7dttt12v9u5dmy2/DF_v0.44.x%20plant_new_trees%20whitespace%20fixes%202.zip

Sorry, if I'm obsessing too hard over little things.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2017, 05:03:41 pm »

I noticed checking something today that I had three unnamed human corpses as historical figures after world gen, so that might be it.  I'm not sure what causes that to happen -- perhaps a raised corpse in world gen that wins a battle?
I did a bit more research, perusing the exported .xml for every human born in the year 90. I found only one who had been killed and reanimated. In turn, I found her corpse, whose deathdate checked out. It looks like historical zombies aren't being properly named. I suppose this is something to do with all the identity borkery.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2017, 05:22:53 pm »

Sorry I'm late... There seems to be a new bug where FBs/megabeasts appear on the map and just hang out at the perimeter without pathing into the fort.  This certainly isn't a problem with smaller foes like werebeasts!  Any chance you could take a look and make sure the code didn't get broken?
I think that one's already been reported, though I could be thinking of a different one.
Yes, there is 10388, "HFS/FB/SMB/MB do not path to fortress".

Spoiler: quote jecowa (click to show/hide)

Glad to help!

Just 3 more small changes on a couple of lines. Some "smart" apostrophes were messed due to the encoding issue. In this version hey are changed into traditional vertical apostrophes (which is the same type of apostrophe used in the rest of the document).

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7dttt12v9u5dmy2/DF_v0.44.x%20plant_new_trees%20whitespace%20fixes%202.zip

Sorry, if I'm obsessing too hard over little things.
I have checked my raws and then created a report for it so it can be easily found as 10422, "Encoding of and whitespaces in plant_new_trees.txt". Upload all such DF-related files rather to DF File Depot next time, please.

I did a bit more research, perusing the exported .xml for every human born in the year 90. I found only one who had been killed and reanimated. In turn, I found her corpse, whose deathdate checked out. It looks like historical zombies aren't being properly named. I suppose this is something to do with all the identity borkery.
Feel free to sum your findings and post a report to Mantis, together with a link to zipped save folder uploaded to DFFD. Thanks.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2017, 05:43:41 pm »

Hopefully the bugfixes will include loyalty cascades in taverns. It's super frustrating to have a drunk tavern fist fight end up with a hundred dead dwarves.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16