Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02 Released  (Read 126482 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02 Released
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2017, 05:56:50 pm »

Hopefully the bugfixes will include loyalty cascades in taverns. It's super entertaining to have a drunk tavern fist fight end up with a hundred dead dwarves.

FTFY

All jokes aside, yeah I also hope loyalty cascades are on the list.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2017, 06:25:33 pm »

Feel free to sum your findings and post a report to Mantis, together with a link to zipped save folder uploaded to DFFD. Thanks.
Done!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

hallo1126

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2017, 02:50:29 am »

Encountered something a little uncomfortable:

First, the shameful: My artifact was getting stolen by a kea

Second, the problem that this brings: The kea is not getting named for stealing the artifact, so in the civ screen it has "location unknown" instead of "last held by...". This makes it pretty much unretrievable by any squad because how the hell should they search for it then when they can't ask if a special kea holding some weird chert bracelet flew by?

When I sent out a full squad they came back immediatly, and when I chose to send out a single guy this time he never came back (always marked as travelling) until the fort collapsed a year later.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2017, 04:10:57 am »

Encountered something a little uncomfortable:

First, the shameful: My artifact was getting stolen by a kea

Second, the problem that this brings: The kea is not getting named for stealing the artifact, so in the civ screen it has "location unknown" instead of "last held by...". This makes it pretty much unretrievable by any squad because how the hell should they search for it then when they can't ask if a special kea holding some weird chert bracelet flew by?

When I sent out a full squad they came back immediatly, and when I chose to send out a single guy this time he never came back (always marked as travelling) until the fort collapsed a year later.
- Keas (and other thieving animals) steal artifacts and have done so in previous versions as well (don't keep the artifacts in locations accessible to thieving animals!).
- You cannot currently retrieve artifacts held by critters. That's a known issue, so even if you knew the name of the Kea it wouldn't help. Once artifact retrieval permits mugging the failure to name the Kea becomes an issue, of course (and, if it was still in the fortress, followed by "failure to find path" as the bugger is a flier, but artifact retrieval isn't inside fortress mode itself, so that's probably not an issue).
- If you managed to send a retriever out the Kea had probably dropped the artifact in some unmarked wilderness tile, so the dorf was probably traveling from tavern to tavern searching in vain for rumors. Don't expect him back any time soon.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2017, 01:49:11 pm »

havent been to the fourms in a while so im just now noticing the update, been waiting for the update to play again and im really excited.
i cant wait to start pissing off all my neighbors so i can finally try out that murder hall design i made but never got to test for one reason or another
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2017, 02:21:47 pm »

- You cannot currently retrieve artifacts held by critters. That's a known issue, so even if you knew the name of the Kea it wouldn't help. Once artifact retrieval permits mugging the failure to name the Kea becomes an issue, of course (and, if it was still in the fortress, followed by "failure to find path" as the bugger is a flier, but artifact retrieval isn't inside fortress mode itself, so that's probably not an issue).

Perhaps we could fix the issue by simply giving the kea a name and making it a histfig, like when a creature kills one of your dwarves? Or perhaps just make it a histfig without naming it, if that's possible.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2017, 06:43:19 pm »

Engraving about a visitor who is under an identity seems to engrave about their actual identity, even with engravings of them assuming their identity and infiltrating your fortress. (This is with a goblin "peddler" who has assumed a dwarven name.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2017, 07:54:50 pm »

Engraving about a visitor who is under an identity seems to engrave about their actual identity, even with engravings of them assuming their identity and infiltrating your fortress. (This is with a goblin "peddler" who has assumed a dwarven name.)
Think that works for vampires too since a while back.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2017, 01:15:25 pm »

Well, this is peculiar.

Obviously modded, but I believe it could happen in an unmodded game with necromancer minions all the same. Not entirely sure if its intended or not - although having more intelligent "zombies" that can take orders from its master would be great.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2017, 03:20:02 pm »

Another Fun bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10425

Summary: naming your weapon makes adventurers too snooty to carve hafts, bone trinkets, or furniture with them. Can be fixed in literal seconds via applying [CAN_USE_ARTIFACT] where needed.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2017, 03:36:03 pm »

Came across another, particularly strange thing I've never seen before - again, modded, but I'd imagine it could possibly happen unmodded.

I wandered north and came across an Ogre town. Whats the strangest part about it is that half of the population, mostly non-ogres, is considered outcasts, despite not being bandits - in fact, a lot of them are peasants or simple workers, i.e weaponsmiths or carpenters.

Now, this leads to a rather strange issue, where they are all completely butt-naked. This doesn't include the ogres, pirates and snobolds considered parts of the main population - doesn't apply to the criminals or visitors either.

I don't really know whether this is a bizarre form of racism imposed by the ogres, where you cannot own clothes (although considering there's ogres amongst said outcasts, probably not), or whether this is a particularly decadent harem town where every citizen owns several concubines - considering that aside from elves and the like which would be an average taste for this kind of thing, you also have spider-people, wolverine-people, bird-people, squid-like beings that normally serve the old gods, frosty half-giants, and reanimated but intelligent walking corpses, amongst others, I can only presume this is very late-stage decadency.

I'll take a moment to appreciate that even bugs like this make for interesting story material. Fuck yeah, Dwarf Fortress.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:37:49 pm by ZM5 »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2017, 03:38:09 pm »

Aren't criminals listed as "outcasts" under this section, though? If so, the bug here is the whole "naked gangsters" thing.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2017, 03:55:32 pm »

They are, but the thing is, I've seen crooks who are fully geared up and have weapons too.

The only naked people are peasants and other workers, like I said, who aren't even lieutenants of the crime lords.

EDIT: Another weird thing - I notice a massive amount of people with bandit leader titles. As in, I walk into a house, and lo and behold, someone's inside with a bandit leader title like "overlord", "master", etc. A tower I went to before had the same thing, with 5 people, all with different leader titles.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:17:28 pm by ZM5 »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2017, 07:16:40 pm »

Another Fun bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10425

Summary: naming your weapon makes adventurers too snooty to carve hafts, bone trinkets, or furniture with them. Can be fixed in literal seconds via applying [CAN_USE_ARTIFACT] where needed.

Materials made out of slaughtered/dead intelligents are also named until they are crafted then become (Ezenshkuls skull becomes 'dwarf totem') so possible connection to dead_dwarf=true shenanigans? Same goes for named pets (as well as unnamed)

Goes along well with those usable goblin skeletons you can find in hidey holes around dark towers.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2017, 07:22:54 pm »

They are, but the thing is, I've seen crooks who are fully geared up and have weapons too.

The only naked people are peasants and other workers, like I said, who aren't even lieutenants of the crime lords.

EDIT: Another weird thing - I notice a massive amount of people with bandit leader titles. As in, I walk into a house, and lo and behold, someone's inside with a bandit leader title like "overlord", "master", etc. A tower I went to before had the same thing, with 5 people, all with different leader titles.
This reminds me: I encountered an administrator inside a random house inside of a hamlet. He was not, as far as I could tell, in charge of the site. I thought he might be a spy, but I somehow doubt that.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16