Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02 Released  (Read 127073 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02 Released
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2017, 09:25:45 pm »

Materials made out of slaughtered/dead intelligents are also named until they are crafted then become (Ezenshkuls skull becomes 'dwarf totem') so possible connection to dead_dwarf=true shenanigans? Same goes for named pets (as well as unnamed)

Goes along well with those usable goblin skeletons you can find in hidey holes around dark towers.

No. Not even. That is a wildly different bug.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2017, 11:13:25 pm »

Another Fun bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10425

Summary: naming your weapon makes adventurers too snooty to carve hafts, bone trinkets, or furniture with them. Can be fixed in literal seconds via applying [CAN_USE_ARTIFACT] where needed.

The solution for this (and many other bugs) is by completely separating the named object and artifact mechanics, or if that is undesirable since the two are very similar and doing so would duplicate code, simply implement artifacts as a subset of named objects with a certain flag set. The "sort of the same, sort of different" thing between them going on right now is kinda making a lot of problems.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2017, 01:34:02 am »

Materials made out of slaughtered/dead intelligents are also named until they are crafted then become (Ezenshkuls skull becomes 'dwarf totem') so possible connection to dead_dwarf=true shenanigans? Same goes for named pets (as well as unnamed)

Goes along well with those usable goblin skeletons you can find in hidey holes around dark towers.

No. Not even. That is a wildly different bug.

I was just remarking at the similarities about how identities are applied onto the object which is comparable to naming it since it is presently that objects like skulls and skin carry the histfig name of a killed or butchered (once it is set to dead_dwarf=false) entity that clears after the material has been successfully crafted (proven on pet-named dogs) teeth included.

Therin itself suggesting the bug you are talking about is older than 44.02 relevancy to naming a object yourself even when the circumstances are that you are allowed to use that particular sentient material.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2017, 01:56:00 am »

The solution for this (and many other bugs) is by completely separating the named object and artifact mechanics, or if that is undesirable since the two are very similar and doing so would duplicate code, simply implement artifacts as a subset of named objects with a certain flag set. The "sort of the same, sort of different" thing between them going on right now is kinda making a lot of problems.

Thing is that it is hilariously trivial to fix this bug via some raw work, no source changes required, and no need to mess around with further separating minor artifacts from legit ones. I've already fixed it in Adventurecraft, for example.

I was just remarking at the similarities about how identities are applied onto the object which is comparable to naming it since it is presently that objects like skulls and skin carry the histfig name of a killed or butchered (once it is set to dead_dwarf=false) entity that clears after the material has been successfully crafted (proven on pet-named dogs) teeth included.

Therin itself suggesting the bug you are talking about is older than 44.02 relevancy to naming a object yourself even when the circumstances are that you are allowed to use that particular sentient material.

And the thing with that is that these are:
1. Identities of differemnt sorts (lesser artifacts have their OWN identity, sentient body materials are linked to someone else's identity)
and
2. Solving the lesser artifact fuckery can be done with some baby-level-difficulty raw changes, whereas the sentient stuff is a source thing barring DFHack fuckery.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2017, 05:23:32 am »

Related to the engraving bug, I had a 'Goblin Vampire Bard' visit my fortress in the greentext that announces visitors - the bastard gained a skill level in dodging when a squad was dispatched to him.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2017, 05:29:48 am »

They are, but the thing is, I've seen crooks who are fully geared up and have weapons too.

The only naked people are peasants and other workers, like I said, who aren't even lieutenants of the crime lords.

EDIT: Another weird thing - I notice a massive amount of people with bandit leader titles. As in, I walk into a house, and lo and behold, someone's inside with a bandit leader title like "overlord", "master", etc. A tower I went to before had the same thing, with 5 people, all with different leader titles.
This reminds me: I encountered an administrator inside a random house inside of a hamlet. He was not, as far as I could tell, in charge of the site. I thought he might be a spy, but I somehow doubt that.
I think that depends if it was a title (his icon would be flashing) or his profession - for whatever reason, high enough social skills make you an "administrator", but "administrators" are also puppet leaders who rule over conquered sites.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2017, 05:33:17 am »

They are, but the thing is, I've seen crooks who are fully geared up and have weapons too.

The only naked people are peasants and other workers, like I said, who aren't even lieutenants of the crime lords.

EDIT: Another weird thing - I notice a massive amount of people with bandit leader titles. As in, I walk into a house, and lo and behold, someone's inside with a bandit leader title like "overlord", "master", etc. A tower I went to before had the same thing, with 5 people, all with different leader titles.
This reminds me: I encountered an administrator inside a random house inside of a hamlet. He was not, as far as I could tell, in charge of the site. I thought he might be a spy, but I somehow doubt that.
I think that depends if it was a title (his icon would be flashing) or his profession - for whatever reason, high enough social skills make you an "administrator", but "administrators" are also puppet leaders who rule over conquered sites.
It was the latter. Thanks for the clarification. The last thing we need right now is yet another bug.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2017, 05:50:52 am »

So anyone else seen any Calcareous Ooze Cabinets, Sandy Loam Tables, Frozen Ink Rings, or the like?

I mean the last one is kinda badass since I pictured it as words in a pretty script like they were written on a regular ring except the ring isn't there, while the first is disgusting, and the second seems very unsanitary... plus it's probably some sort of performance art bullshit where the table is actually just the bare dirt floor so it's a statement on poverty or something.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #158 on: December 10, 2017, 06:17:49 am »

I have seen some loam ones, yes - like I mentioned before, seems like the game doesn't take into account whether a material should be used for artifacts or not (unless you slap the [SPECIAL] token on it), or whether a material even exists in the world/whether its available to the civ the artifact maker is from.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2017, 10:25:50 pm »

Did this update fix the hunter bug that requires we manually force dwarves to drop their xbows in order that they will pick up ammo?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2017, 03:03:18 am »

Did this update fix the hunter bug that requires we manually force dwarves to drop their xbows in order that they will pick up ammo?
Have you considered reading the release notes?
This release was an emergency release to fix crashing, so the answer is no.

leontas2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2017, 09:57:27 pm »

you can raid others?????????? seriously??? nobody has to say anything about that?

This is the BEST update ever made!!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2017, 10:00:16 pm »

you can raid others?????????? seriously??? nobody has to say anything about that?

Well, actually, we HAVE been talking about that for some time now, but perhaps you missed it.   :D
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2017, 02:11:39 am »

Have you considered reading the release notes?
This release was an emergency release to fix crashing, so the answer is no.

I did, in fact, read the release notes for version 44.  I do admit to missing that this was a tweakpatch.

You will, hopefully, note that Toady included the patch notes from 44.01 with the patch notes from 44.02.

I did not see anything specifically addressing the hunter bug.

So, I will rephrase my question:

Does DF version 44 resolve the broken hunters bug?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2017, 07:18:10 am »

Since it happens so rarely and there's an apparent workaround (drop the crossbow?) I doubt its a priority. It hasn't been mentioned any time over the past 18 months and since hunters Just Work most of the time, it probably wouldn't have been noticed yet if it was secretly fixed.

You're better off just looking at the bug tracker to see if anyone's reported it in 44.02.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16