Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02 Released  (Read 126477 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02 Released
« Reply #210 on: December 23, 2017, 06:55:40 pm »

I personally think MOST of us would agree on having the reputation bugs in adventure mode fixed sooner rather than later, regardless of how divisive the other current "game-breakers" are, but nevertheless I see your point.

Anyway, I'm a patient guy. I'll wait until the first week into January before I start to assume the worst.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:58:26 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2017, 07:13:07 pm »

And since Adventure Mode improvements is part of this bug fixing/updates arc, not at all sure what people are complaining about. You think Toady will inexplicably completely ignore adventure mode bugs while improving adventurer mode?! Unbelievable...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #212 on: December 24, 2017, 01:32:14 am »

No need to panic, they definitely will be fixed - I'd rather he get the minor and crash bugs out of the way first before starting on the more time-consuming stuff as well tbh.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 24, 2017, 06:36:41 am »

I hope toady fixes  those immersion breaking adventure mode bugs, reputations are busted, rumors are busted, performances are busted. Ugh, this dwarf mode focus when it is working way better then adventure mode is irritating me. i know he acknowledges the bugs and im donating and toady is literally my hero, who inspired my own game. But they have completely ruined adventure mode for me.
He's already acknowledged the bug the day of 44.01's release, and whenever I look at "view issues" on mantis it's at the very top of the tracker right under the recently fixed visitor stuff. Still marked as "acknowledged" but he knows it's there, don't worry too much. Got my fingers crossed, though.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #215 on: December 24, 2017, 09:25:59 am »

Toady is not "ignoring" specific bugs. He's just one person, so it's only possible to fix a few at a time. There's also a trade-off between getting more bugs fixed and getting releases out more quickly, but just because he didn't fix a bug in one release doesn't mean he never will. (Also, he was at a conference and on vacation, meaning he hasn't had as much time to fix bugs as he has in the past after major releases, but he's fixed several this week on the tracker.)

I've seen several reports of single "game-breaking" bugs in this thread, and opinions on exactly which bug is game-breaking can differ a lot between players. I understand the frustration behind some of those, but if everyone jumps into release threads to complain about their personal least favorite bugs, these threads can get pretty cluttered, making it harder to find things specific to the release they're about. I'd suggest taking complaints about longstanding bugs to another subforum - General Discussion, Dwarf Mode Discussion, maybe Suggestions for suggestion-like things, etc.
The bugs I listed are about this specific release. And 44.01. I understand toadies situation I am just expressing my experience with this release. Sorry for upsetting you.

If you look at the reply right above mine (by me aswell, you can see that I know he as acknowledged it and that he is literally my hero)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:29:40 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #216 on: December 24, 2017, 10:07:25 am »

No need to panic, they definitely will be fixed - I'd rather he get the minor and crash bugs out of the way first before starting on the more time-consuming stuff as well tbh.
Yeah, it’s true crashes should take priority and the reputation bug and such is probably pretty “deep”
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 25, 2017, 02:29:32 am »

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 02:31:04 am by gnome »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 25, 2017, 02:31:42 am »

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 25, 2017, 02:49:45 am »

Nice selection of bugs squished for next release. :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 25, 2017, 09:39:17 am »

@Untrustedlife: The fortress mode is currently fairly unplayable as well, with the FPS dropping like a rock due to the visitor invasions (which is among of the fixed bugs, but those haven't been released yet). Thus, claiming adventure mode is completely ignored and and left in an unplayable state when fortress mode isn't playable either is rather unfair.  As usual the major release has broken a fair number of things, and, as mentioned by others, circumstances have caused Toady to be slower than usual in getting the train back onto the tracks, and the bugs fixed so far seems to be a fairly good set.
I believe there are more fortress mode players than adventure mode ones, and if that's true, focusing on getting fortress mode playable first and then get adventure mode playable makes sense (I'm also biased as I'm a fortress mode player only, but I think the logic is sound regardless). I'd also focus on getting one mode up to a playable state first before turning to the other one, because that would get some of the users something, rather than splitting 50/50 and have neither mode playable until both are playable. However, "playable" is defined differently for different players, so Toady is always going to shift the focus too early away from "my" mode and staying too long working on issues for the other one.
I can also defend a decision to take care of a number of easy to fix but not critical bugs for the mode in focus before shifting the attention to the other mode, although I could also defend a decision to shift as quickly as possible.
It looks like the next release will give me what I need to start my fortress, and thus I'm (grudgingly) willing to hand over the focus to adventure mode to get that into some sort of preliminary shape (but don't stay too long!) with the next release.
After that, Toady will hopefully have some breathing room to fix important, but not critical bugs for both modes.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 25, 2017, 09:53:53 am »

Why don't you just drown all of the visitors?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 25, 2017, 11:34:59 am »

Why don't you just drown all of the visitors?

Some people like to roleplay their DF games and this kind of behaviour is usually immersion breaking.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 25, 2017, 11:46:19 am »

Not only do I dislike murdering people for no reason, but it would also turn their FPS killing action into a work killing one, as all the corpses and their gear has to be dealt with, apart from the effort required to build a visitor murdering device in the first place from a very limited dwarven work force (with one reason for keeping the work force small being to delay FPS death...).
Yes, I could atom smash them instead, but it would still be a case of insane murder of innocents (yes, some of them might not actually be innocent, but I don't subscribe to the idea that it it's better to punish 1000 innocents than to let one guilty go unpunished).
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16