Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Seedship  (Read 11251 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Seedship
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2017, 09:55:05 pm »

Can it really be called post-scarcity if you run out of air if you go outside without an oxygen tank, though?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 10:24:43 pm »

Only very specific things are scarce, and are scarce for everyone, I suppose.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2017, 12:01:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That looks like a cool world for a roleplaying game
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2017, 02:01:53 pm »

Most of these seem to be. I feel like it's a good sci-fi world generator.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 03:24:33 pm »

Can it really be called post-scarcity if you run out of air if you go outside without an oxygen tank, though?
Well, yeah- Because everyone has a gasmask. Post-scarcity doesn't mean you can't die.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 03:50:28 pm »

That looks like a cool world for a roleplaying game

That actually (kind of, sort of) sounds like some of the Phantasy Star games, albeit without that particular flora.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2017, 05:23:32 pm »

How many levels of utopia are you on, my dude? Watch this:

Everybody lives and realizes the real solution to philosophy is alien squid girl waifus, best end. I've tried quite a few more times and I don't think I'm beating this one, the only things that could improve it are green planet conditions, some of the First Contact boosts to science and culture, or if there's another level of native relations. Maybe it needs to be a post-singularity alien civ to begin with? My results suggest that relations with aliens are based first on your tech and then filtered through your culture. I don't think humanity can end up slaves because I had a planet with collapsed culture in the face of a post-singularity civ and it just ended as Isolated.

I also got a medieval republic out of an ideal science/culture/planet combined with a 26% landing system. Whoops!

And then the genocide run:

This one was interesting because it gave me a bit of text that I never got anywhere else, that being that after the (successful) landing with culture and science intact that the colonists realize they're totally fucked and spend their lives building lasting high-tech structures and genetically engineering all the kids so that when the inevitable fall happens it won't lead to extinction.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2017, 12:20:06 am »

I had one where construction failures resulted in the deaths of the colonists, and one where the natives enslaved my colonists - the natives had a higher tech level.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2017, 02:17:18 am »

Everybody lives and realizes the real solution to philosophy is alien squid girl waifus, best end.
Giant squid are a possible contender for most intelligent species on Earth.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2017, 12:05:27 am »

Everybody lives and realizes the real solution to philosophy is alien squid girl waifus, best end.
Giant squid are a possible contender for most intelligent species on Earth.

Right up next to chickens, who, by ensuring that they're easy to take care of, breed prolifically, survive in squalor, and are tasty to the dominant species of the planet, will never go extinct and have a population count magnitudes greater than they would otherwise.

Also, Kozue > Ika.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2017, 01:03:33 am »

Chickens are very slightly dumber than actual bricks, though.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 01:44:28 am »

I did it, I killed them all!

Planet Desert
Atmosphere:   Corrosive
Gravity:   Very low
Temperature:   Cold
Water:   Trace
Resources:   Rich
Features:
   Dangerous ruins

The colonists begin constructing a settlement with the aid of the seedship's damaged construction robots. They cannot leave the ship except in vehicles that have been specially built to withstand the corrosive atmosphere and freezing cold, but the corrosive atmosphere eats through the seals of several construction vehicles and kills 311 colonists, and 64 more freeze to death when heating systems fail. The very low gravity makes the work more difficult than it would have been on Earth, and 339 colonists die of gravity-related health problems. They must ration the small amount of water they can extract from the atmosphere, and water shortages kill 286 colonists.

Desert's landscape of spindly rock outcroppings and impossibly tall mountains stretches away beneath a sky filled with corrosive clouds. The ruins of the colony lie on the rocky surface.

Score
Planet atmosphere:   0
Planet gravity:   0
Planet temperature:   250
Planet water:   0
Planet resources:   500
Survivors after landing:   1000
Total:   1750

The secret is to travel longer so your ship gets damaged more, especially the construction system.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2017, 03:27:13 pm »

Chickens are very slightly dumber than actual bricks, though.
That's what they want you to think.  ;D
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2017, 03:53:37 pm »

Have you ever actually been around a chicken? Their wants extend as far as eating whatever looks slightly like food from the ground and pooping in their own water.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2017, 03:55:15 pm »

That's individual chickens and individual bricks. Chickanity in aggregate is quite wily.

Also, you forgot that the males have the additional want of pecking your eyes out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5