Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 174370 times)

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION
« Reply #1020 on: February 25, 2019, 06:10:16 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22151.msg240207#msg240207

This post details which ethics actually count towards starting wars.
The personality of the leaders also affects this somehow, but i havent seen details about whats important there. But if your monarch/whoever can declare wars is required to be of a caste (or species as a whole) with consistently the right personality to start wars, they should be more likely to do so.
I did some research on this a while back, but either I never posted my results or it's buried so deep I can't find it. I asked Toady One what traits affected declarations of war, then jacked those traits up to max in every race. The result was a world so warlike that even civs of the same race would attack each other.
Do you remember what the traits were by any chance? I mean, the very different civs fight plenty, but the three very similar pseudo-European feudal ones seem to very very rarely if ever go to war with each other (not counting cults).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 11:13:54 pm by Dunmeris »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 27, 2019, 08:57:23 am »

Is there a way to assign different symbols for a custom race's cities on the world map? I can't seem to find any reference in the wiki or the raws.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: February 27, 2019, 09:04:12 am »

Is there a way to assign different symbols for a custom race's cities on the world map? I can't seem to find any reference in the wiki or the raws.

Unfortunately not; the symbols are tied to site type (fortress, city, forest retreat, etc.).

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: February 27, 2019, 09:09:47 am »

I was afraid that was the case. Thank you
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Fish Preferred

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes salmon for their taste.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: February 27, 2019, 03:44:36 pm »

I mean, the very different civs fight plenty, but the three very similar pseudo-European feudal ones seem to very very rarely if ever go to war with each other (not counting cults).
1 Make sure they each have at least one completely opposed ethic with another; [ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:PERSONAL_MATTER] is sure to rustle a few feathers for an entity with [ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:PUNISH_CAPITAL].

2 Toady mentioned that part of the calculation is the personality of their leaders, but didn't specify which traits, so you could try tweaking their creature files to have very low TOLERANT and very high HATE_PROPENSITY, and/or GREED, and/or CONFIDENCE, and/or AMBITION, and/or VENGEFUL, and/or THOUGHTLESSNESS to improve the odds that they consider war a viable option.

3 You should give the opposing entities conflicting spheres. For example, DARKNESS conflicts with DAY, and TWILIGHT conflicts with DARKNESS and DAY, so a civ with one of those spheres is more likely to clash with civs upholding the other two.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, I wonder what would happen if you made creatures with [SPHERE:FIRE] and put them in an entity with [RELIGION_SPHERE:WATER]. Would they hate themselves?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:46:38 pm by Fish Preferred »
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: February 27, 2019, 06:49:41 pm »

I mean, the very different civs fight plenty, but the three very similar pseudo-European feudal ones seem to very very rarely if ever go to war with each other (not counting cults).
1 Make sure they each have at least one completely opposed ethic with another; [ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:PERSONAL_MATTER] is sure to rustle a few feathers for an entity with [ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:PUNISH_CAPITAL].

2 Toady mentioned that part of the calculation is the personality of their leaders, but didn't specify which traits, so you could try tweaking their creature files to have very low TOLERANT and very high HATE_PROPENSITY, and/or GREED, and/or CONFIDENCE, and/or AMBITION, and/or VENGEFUL, and/or THOUGHTLESSNESS to improve the odds that they consider war a viable option.

3 You should give the opposing entities conflicting spheres. For example, DARKNESS conflicts with DAY, and TWILIGHT conflicts with DARKNESS and DAY, so a civ with one of those spheres is more likely to clash with civs upholding the other two.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, I wonder what would happen if you made creatures with [SPHERE:FIRE] and put them in an entity with [RELIGION_SPHERE:WATER]. Would they hate themselves?

Thanks, but I mean, naturally the ones with very different ethics and spheres hate each other and fight all the time (as do individual tribes within the tribal civs). But these three very similar pseudo-Medieval European feudal civs get along way too well and I want them going at each others' throats for incredibly petty reasons, just like real Medieval European feudal states.

Cranking up VENGEFUL and maybe GREED on the noblemen is a very good idea though, can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll try that and see if it makes them fight more (they've already got high VIOLENT, CONFIDENCE, AMBITION and lowered TOLERANCE though I could certainly try raising/lowering those a bit more). Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:55:19 pm by Dunmeris »

Ceques

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 01, 2019, 07:07:54 pm »

Hey everyone,

So I'm modding a new race, and I want to make them have a linguistic flare much like how [LISP] works with snake people - except instead of repeating 'S's, it would add a word at the end of a sentence. I'm pretty unsure of how to do this; obviously it wouldn't work by altering language files, and there's no way to come up with a new raw for [LISP], so is there any way to use any of the replace text functions (like BODYGLOSS or something) to replace all periods with a word + a period? Would there be any side effects to it, if so?

Thanks.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 01, 2019, 08:18:47 pm »

Hey everyone,

So I'm modding a new race, and I want to make them have a linguistic flare much like how [LISP] works with snake people - except instead of repeating 'S's, it would add a word at the end of a sentence. I'm pretty unsure of how to do this; obviously it wouldn't work by altering language files, and there's no way to come up with a new raw for [LISP], so is there any way to use any of the replace text functions (like BODYGLOSS or something) to replace all periods with a word + a period? Would there be any side effects to it, if so?

Thanks.
Impossible, except maybe with DFHack, but you'll have to ask the people who write scripts for it to be sure.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ceques

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 01, 2019, 09:43:00 pm »

Another quick question: I've noticed that in b_detail_plan_default, there is a body detail plan called 'STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS' that arranged all the head features and the like. But, it includes references like '[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:LIP:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:TEETH:100]'. There is no such category as 'TEETH', but there is 'TOOTH', as seen in body_default under [BODY:TEETH] (where everything is in [CATEGORY:TOOTH]).

Am I just misunderstanding something here? Surely it should reference TOOTH, not TEETH?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 02, 2019, 07:48:27 am »

I've noticed it too sometime ago, seems to be a small mistake on Toady's part. Personally, I've edited the b_detail_plan_default to use TOOTH instead.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 03, 2019, 07:15:20 pm »

So I differentiated the feudal civs a bit more, and made nobility in general a bit more warlike.

So, I have an idea. I'd like to make a flying carpet, perhaps acting something like a cloth minecart that flies. Is such a thing even conceivable, even with DFHack?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 04, 2019, 09:17:06 am »

So I differentiated the feudal civs a bit more, and made nobility in general a bit more warlike.

So, I have an idea. I'd like to make a flying carpet, perhaps acting something like a cloth minecart that flies. Is such a thing even conceivable, even with DFHack?
You cannot mod minecarts. The best you can do is a "flying carpet" creature that is a mount and available only as pets.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 04, 2019, 10:33:20 am »

But dfhack can almost certainly "launch" a "flying carpet" tool and its occupants. Rumrusher would know all about that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 21, 2019, 02:49:21 pm »

How would I go about making plants that give metals when you harvest them?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1034 on: March 21, 2019, 04:23:47 pm »

How would I go about making plants that give metals when you harvest them?
Something like this:
[REACTION:MAKE_METALNAME_FROM_PLANTNAME1]
   [NAME:process metalplant1]
   [BUILDING:QUERN:NONE]     [BUILDING:MILLSTONE:NONE]
   [REAGENT:reagentplantA:1:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE] specify which plant, for details see item token: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Item_token
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:__metalname__]  [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]
maybe 5 or 8 plants go in, one bar-stack of elite metal comes out. Or one plant in, 25% chance of one barstack.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:26:20 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 120