Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 176337 times)

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2017, 07:57:48 am »

Add tokens like [ITEMS_LEATHER] or [ITEMS_HARD]

That lets the game know the object is usable. With ITEMS_LEATHER for scales you'll see people wear scale clothing for example, ITEMS_HARD is moreso for objects like crafts so along with ITEMS_LEATHER it'd fit on chitin - you'd have people both wear chitin clothing and also see it used for crafts.

Where can I find the file to edit?
Also Chitin is too hard for normal clothing, it'd be better for armor and crafts.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2017, 08:02:03 am »

Material_template_default in raw/objects.

Also in that case, use ITEMS_ARMOR for chitin - that said, chitin isn't too good of a material for armor - in-game it has similar properties to bone.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2017, 08:10:05 am »

Material_template_default in raw/objects.

Also in that case, use ITEMS_ARMOR for chitin - that said, chitin isn't too good of a material for armor - in-game it has similar properties to bone.
That's not the point, if it is good or bad. I just want to be able to use it for something.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2017, 08:38:49 am »

ITEMS_HARD and ITEMS_ARMOR then - I admit I'm not sure if you'll see worldgen soldiers with chitin uniforms but you definitely will see chitin amulets and other crafts.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2017, 07:21:22 pm »

You could also just add a bunch of custom reactions using chitin. It might help to give it a reaction class or a material reaction product of some sort.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2017, 03:17:13 am »

You could also just add a bunch of custom reactions using chitin. It might help to give it a reaction class or a material reaction product of some sort.
Not sure how I'd go about to do that, though. I am extremely novice when it comes to this sort of thing.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2017, 02:51:31 pm »

Couple of questions about modding things for this new version.

Can you make clothing for arbitrary body parts yet ?

Like, say I have a race of minotaurs, and I wanted decorative clothing for their horns. Is it possible to make a clothing or armour piece that would be worn on the horn ?

Or are clothes still defined as being bodywear, pants, gloves, shoes, helms, etc. ? i.e. they can only be worn on head, upper body, lower body, hand, foot.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2017, 02:56:41 pm »

Not sure how I'd go about to do that, though. I am extremely novice when it comes to this sort of thing.

Check out this page, it's a lot of help.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2017, 05:31:57 pm »

another question:

is it possible in the latest version to butcher sapient creatures ? I remember in older versions, it was possible for certain civilisations to butcher the likes of goblins, but something was changed in a later version that inadvertently stopped that.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2017, 06:33:53 pm »

Unless you use workarounds like interactions that remove CAN_LEARN, no.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:14 pm »

another question:

is it possible in the latest version to butcher sapient creatures ? I remember in older versions, it was possible for certain civilisations to butcher the likes of goblins, but something was changed in a later version that inadvertently stopped that.

It should be, yeah - just give your race ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE in their entity raws.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2017, 01:38:27 am »

another question:

It should be, yeah - just give your race ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE in their entity raws.

That's broken currently -- right now it's impossible to butcher any sapient creatures, whether your ethics allow it or not.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2017, 06:23:01 am »

another question:
That's broken currently -- right now it's impossible to butcher any sapient creatures, whether your ethics allow it or not.

Yes, that's what I thought. Something had changed.

DfHack has a thing that seems to partially sort it though, using the gui/gm-editor and removing the "dead dwarf" flag from a corpse. I used that on a corpse of a were-creature, and it was then butchered, and the products are usable. But I'm not sure if that's because the civilisation's ethics allow it, or if using the editor would mean that any civilisation would butcher that corpse regardless of ethics.

So, what about my other question ? I have a civ of minotaur-like creatures, who have horns. Can I make clothing specifically to fit on the horns, such that losing a horn would mean not being able to wear it, or does all clothing have to fit into the helm/bodywear/pants/shoes/gloves types, and thus are tied to head/body/lowerbody/feet/hands body parts ?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2017, 06:51:41 am »

Toady messed something up with the ethics, thats why the "sentient products cannot be used" thing is messed up both in fort mode and adventure mode. Like I said, if you use interactions on sentient creatures that remove CAN_LEARN, it has a similar effect, where they're usable for butchering after being killed while affected by the interaction.

Clothing's restricted, you cannot have clothing that doesnt fit in any of the current categories. You only have upper/lower body, head, grasp and stance armors, with a few different values for different armors covering, lets say, upper/lower arms or legs. I don't think horns are covered by this, though.

Grasp and stance is also a key distinction, by the way - if you have a race with grasping tentacles, they'll be able to wear gauntlets or gloves on them. Or if they have tails with the stance part, they'll wear sandals and the like on them.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:53:45 am by ZM5 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2017, 06:53:38 am »

Toady messed something up with the ethics, thats why the "sentient products cannot be used" thing is messed up both in fort mode and adventure mode.

nah, more likely to do with 0.42.01's overhaul where what exactly counts as a "citizen" now includes other sapient races causing any sapient races on the map, citizens or no, to automatically get the "dead dwarf" flag which prevents even sentient-butchering races from butchering their own citizens
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 120