Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 176646 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could make a second bone material for the products, one that lacks [BONE] [ITEMS_HARD] [ITEMS_BARRED] tags. Rename the vanilla bone material "raw bone" and the processed bone "bone".

Here's bone bands improvement code
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good idea. Thanks.

Is there a way to multiply the value of the product? I dont think I will be able to remove stone and wood furniture from the entity in a clean way so instead I want to incentivize using bone for furniture.

Also that reaction doesnt have a product. Can you not improve a product in the same reaction it was made?

I don't believe so, I think it's a one or the other type of thing. As for increasing the value, if you do make a separate material that only ever appears as "furniture bone" you could up that materials value, but then you would lose any creature value modifiers

Awesome thanks. Are creature value modifiers big? Would a chair made out of cow bone already be more valuable than a granite chair due to the cows creature modifiers?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

Can you not improve a product in the same reaction it was made?

Actualy it should be possible since there is already one such reaction in vanilla DF. It uses an arbitrary  [PRODUCT_TOKEN] which defines the initial pruduct as the target for the improvement.

Spoiler: Bind_Book (click to show/hide)

Are creature value modifiers big? Would a chair made out of cow bone already be more valuable than a granite chair due to the cows creature modifiers?

It really depends on the stone and the animal. Stones have a far higher upper limit at 250x for adamantine while animals cap at 15x for dragons and rocs, however most stones and animals are at the 1-3x range. You can find more details on the multipliers/materials here.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you not improve a product in the same reaction it was made?

Actualy it should be possible since there is already one such reaction in vanilla DF. It uses an arbitrary  [PRODUCT_TOKEN] which defines the initial pruduct as the target for the improvement.

Spoiler: Bind_Book (click to show/hide)

Interesting, I didn't know about that

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It really depends on the stone and the animal. Stones have a far higher upper limit at 250x for adamantine while animals cap at 15x for dragons and rocs, however most stones and animals are at the 1-3x range. You can find more details on the multipliers/materials here.

Thanks. Maybe I'll just set it to x5 then... much better than common stones and wood, but worse than a chair made of silver.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I never had this issue until now, but one of my human slave "pets" keeps getting the starting nobility title and I'm not sure why. Any ideas?

The nobility title has an allowed creature of "hordes_GOBLIN" and the creature claiming the title is a "hordes_HUMAN_SLAVE"

Spoiler: nobility (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I think I fixed it with the caste: [ALLOWED_CREATURE:hordes_GOBLIN:ALL]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 05:31:24 pm by brolol.404 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Yes,the subtype aka caste was missing.

Beware that if no eligible creatures are around, even civ members that are usually not allowed can be elected to the position. It's perfectly fine with appointed positions, but the last time I had nobles with caste restrictions, the elections allowed anyone.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Beware that if no eligible creatures are around, even civ members that are usually not allowed can be elected to the position. It's perfectly fine with appointed positions, but the last time I had nobles with caste restrictions, the elections allowed anyone.

Ah ok. Good to know. Goblins dont have elections though for this mod

EDIT: actually that may mess up my rare caste king idea. I'll have to open up the king spot to all goblins
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:55:48 am by brolol.404 »

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah ok. Good to know. Goblins dont have elections though for this mod

EDIT: actually that may mess up my rare caste king idea. I'll have to open up the king spot to all goblins

Interestingly enough if you use an ultra rate caste for the leader position when would get starts it will create a creature for that position, and, at least in my testing, everytime the position is replaced it will be with the ultra rare caste. But as soon as you start a fortress or adventurer and the leader needs to be replaced you may find the no eligible creature thing

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

You might be able to use a transformation into the proper caste to come up with a candidate. You could use a ritual reaction that creates a breathable syndrome. Might have to run it two or three times because sometimes the creature doesnt inhale it. But the alternative would be producing an edible and having to lock away the candidate without access to any other edibles, which is also a pain.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You might be able to use a transformation into the proper caste to come up with a candidate. You could use a ritual reaction that creates a breathable syndrome. Might have to run it two or three times because sometimes the creature doesnt inhale it. But the alternative would be producing an edible and having to lock away the candidate without access to any other edibles, which is also a pain.

I'm more concerned of a human slave automatically being king of the goblins if a specific caste of goblin dowsnt exist

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Might have to perform the ritual pre-emptively, you know, have an heir-apparent available.

You could also just let it take any goblin, and perform a ritual later to imbue them with greater powers, but that won't work in world gen.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turns out fixing the caste didnt fix the problem. I still got a human slave "pet" as nobility

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Might be a dumb question, but what programming language is best to make mods for DF? I've seen C++ here and there. Would C also be a good option? Or is that too low-level to make anything substantial?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

You don't actually use a programming language, you just edit the .txt files in the raw folders.

Sometimes, actual programming is used for things such as DFhack or Armok Vision and the like, but the vast majority of mods are just made with the raw files.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

There isn't really any heavy modding (like core mechanics) and when it is it's more through DFHack, which supports I believe LUA, Python, Ruby. But other than that, "coding" is really just content creation via custom tokens/tags that Toady has made external for us to use.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 120