Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 174366 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Can you add a start time to the following syndrome tags:

CE_FEEL_EMOTION
CE_ADD_TAG
CE_REMOVE_TAG
CE_MENT_ATT_CHANGE
CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE
CE_SPEED_CHANGE

I was thinking of adding some "drugs" to my mod that do things like:

Initial exhilaration and euphoria removing the need to eat or sleep. Then boosted physical stats and speed. Eventually causing fear emotion, reduced speed and physical stats and adding the sleep and eat tags back on.

All those should accept start and end times. Peak times would be irrelevant though.

Like Eric said, actually ALL [CE_ tags should support START times or else how does the syndrome know when you apply time.

The only thing is idk if the support the PROB argument, I know SEV would be irrelevant as they function as a hard set, not something that can be variably measured.

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There isn't really any heavy modding (like core mechanics) and when it is it's more through DFHack, which supports I believe LUA, Python, Ruby. But other than that, "coding" is really just content creation via custom tokens/tags that Toady has made external for us to use.

You don't actually use a programming language, you just edit the .txt files in the raw folders.

Sometimes, actual programming is used for things such as DFhack or Armok Vision and the like, but the vast majority of mods are just made with the raw files.

Thanks for the clarification, guys!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

The only thing is idk if the support the PROB argument, I know SEV would be irrelevant as they function as a hard set, not something that can be variably measured.

Add_tag definitely supports probabilities and appears functional in that regard (for a syndrome that may or may not add CRAZED), the others I've never directly tested with prob arguments as I recall.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello! Could one rename Forgotten Beasts to "Nameless Things", or is this hard coded?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:44:12 pm by Mim »
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Work the way you intend? I didn't know they worked together at all, i.e. they're mutually exclusive. Did it work? Can you post a screenshot of a world map? Because that's wicked cool if it works at all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Work the way you intend? I didn't know they worked together at all, i.e. they're mutually exclusive. Did it work? Can you post a screenshot of a world map? Because that's wicked cool if it works at all.
No hillocks appeared in several all-Hobbit worlds (which interestingly, all became so overrun by night creatures that most children were eaten before adulthood and a good chunk of civ leaders were werebeasts. One vampire even ruled a civ from about the mid 3rd-century until the present year of 1050 and had I think 17000ish kills. Possibly because I gave them very few weapons and made them peaceful. The saves can be posted if you desire). By "work the way I intend" I meant not work at all. Sorry for the unclear wording!

Also, I edited my question about hillocks to a new one because I realized it probably belonged in the creature and entity modding thread; it is now located there. It appears, however, that I was too late!  :)

So by mutually exclusive, you mean civs can't have both hillocks and cities? That is unfortunate; is there another way one could cause Hobbits to create hillocks?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:08:59 pm by Mim »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

You could do that by just making it hillocks sites and put it he start biome somewhere besides mountains. Their first site will always be a fort, there's nothing you can do about that, but every other site will be a hillocks. They will never found more forts, and the hillocks will be so densely packed around the fort in a circle there won't be room for anything but the odd lair or camp. There's no way around that either afaik.

Also, there's unfortunately not yet any way to mod forgotten beasts. But that might change with the next version! Today posted what vaguely sounded like he might release those tags to use by modders in the last future of the fortress, so we hope.

Your question was fine here, by the way, you don't have to be super specific
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:16:24 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great! How would that ensure no new forts are ever founded, though?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I don't really understand it, but i think the game only allows forts to be founded on mountains. The initial founding site seems to get a reprieve somehow and hillocks are founded in or bordering starting biomes. But then civs that start with forts in biomes that aren't mountains simply refuse to spread into mountains for some reason, even if they're literally adjacent to a suitable mountain range. It's weird and broken and toady never programmed support for other biome locations for forts or something, that's how it works, I guess.
I make Spellcrafts!

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great! Could I do [LIKES_SITE:HILLOCKS]?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

Nope, the only site types that work properly are CAVE, CAVE_DETAILED, CITY, TREE_CITY and DARK_FORTRESS (there's also MONUMENT and another one I think but I forget what they are - DFwiki's entity tokens page should have them).
Also, IIRC they still make fortresses even outside of mountains - on the other hand, mountain halls (which aren't too different from normal fortresses) only get founded on mountains.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Hello! Could one rename Forgotten Beasts to "Nameless Things", or is this hard coded?
Hardcoded.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile

Hardcoded.
Well technically, every generated creature still has a raw entry generated for them that's stored in the save file. You can use a save editor or DFhack to change their names to whatever you want (not sure if it's the creature name or caste name that is required). I don't know about save editors, but I know that there are two ways you can accomplish this with DFhack:
  • You could make a temporary patcher that alters the names whenever a save is loaded. You'd change their creature name entries, and their one caste's name entries to whatever it is you want.
  • You could go further than that and actually edit the raws of the creature that are saved, permanently changing them to the new name so that when the game next loads the save, they will be what you set them to. This is because, as a technical note, the game re-saves a GENERATED creature's raws whenever the game is saved.

In fact it's simple enough that I might write a script for it at some point in the next few days. Curse you all for getting me back into DF modding :P

Edit: Already done! If you're running DFhack you can download this script and add it to your dfhack/scripts folder. Load up your save and then run the command:
Code: [Select]
rename-beasts -singular "Nameless Thing" -plural "Nameless Things" -adjective "Nameless Thing"And all Forgotten Beasts in that world will permanently be renamed to Nameless Things. As far as I can tell it's unlikely this'll cause any problems, but you can always make a backup first just in case :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:30:26 am by Atkana »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Amusingly, your nameless things will be given individual names :P
I make Spellcrafts!

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Amusingly, your nameless things will be given individual names :P
That is ironic enough I might just even do it.

Could this similarly be used to rename demons to Raukar?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:08:35 pm by Mim »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 120