Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 176345 times)

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Amusingly, your nameless things will be given individual names :P
That is ironic enough I might just even do it.

Could something similar be used to rename demons to Raukar?

I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

It can yes. However it's hardcoded only for FEATURE_BEAST but shouldn't be too hard to modify the script to accept an id.

The heavy legwork was already done by Atkana

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How can I get DFHack to work with text mode? I am on Linux, and text mode is the only mode that works. On any other mode, it says i am missing a video device.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile

Could this similarly be used to rename demons to Raukar?

I've updated the script to now allow changing of any of a world's generated creatures, rather than just Forgotten Beasts (don't know why I didn't do that initially anyways :P). To rename all the generic demons, you'd do:
Code: [Select]
rename-beasts -type DEMON -singular "raukar" -plural "raukars" -adjective "raukar"If you also want to affect the world's unique demons (the one-of-a-kind ones that rise from the underworld and lead goblin civilisations), you'd also run that again, but with the type set to UNIQUE_DEMON.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've updated the script to now allow changing of any of a world's generated creatures, rather than just Forgotten Beasts (don't know why I didn't do that initially anyways :P). To rename all the generic demons, you'd do:
rename-beasts -type DEMON -singular "raukar" -plural "raukars" -adjective "raukar"If you also want to affect the world's unique demons (the one-of-a-kind ones that rise from the underworld and lead goblin civilisations), you'd also run that again, but with the type set to UNIQUE_DEMON.
Awesome! What ASCII character should I use for Hobbits?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

Awesome! What ASCII character should I use for Hobbits?

”h” for hobbit, or ”o” for hobbit so you can use ”ö” for the military hobbits. That said, hobbit military might not be prominent or common enough to make the latter option necessary.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will have military Hobbits. They fought wehen necessary.

What POP_RATIO args should I use for female Orcs to make them 1:10 (or 1:100) of all Orcs? Can I have Orcs not get married and just breed like animals?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

you can literally make the ratios for females 1 and males 10 or 100 or whatever.

And you CAN make them breed like animals, by making females non-intelligent pets, and just letting them mingle with males. They should get pregnant from any males available even if the males are intelligent, but if that doesnt work, you can make an equally small portion of males unintelligent. This worked for ant people civs I've played around with before.

children will have the (tame) string after their names, and might not list/know their parents properly, but otherwise should behave normally.

Oh, and the game might try to allow unintelligent members in noble positions. There was a discussion in the creature + entities thread about that. positions filled in worldgen or world simulation during play dont always seem to check the individual they've chosen is actually elligible for the position, so you might find an unintelligent member of the species in important positions in NPC-controlled sites. You can get around this with the allowed_caste tags, but electable positions and positions that are auto-filled like expedition leader will still allow unintelligent targets. Rarity of these individuals also helps.

Your expedition leader position could have no valuable responsibilities besides appointing another, higher position which then appoints commanders, bookkeepers and meets with workers etc. The expedition leader might get filled in with an idiot, but it shouldnt matter, then.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'm modding in some weapons, and I think I mostly have it down for the first one, but I've got questions before I even start on the second.

The first is essentially like a night-stick. I originally thought it would be an interesting weapon (or just funny), but really it feels it'd work best as a training version of the mace.
Spoiler: Baton (click to show/hide)
Let me know if there's any issues or anything I'm forgetting on this one.

The other one is going to be lawndarts, which I'm having trouble planning. The main issues are
- it's a ranged weapon that is it's own ammo. I'm looking into it and basing how it works seems most do-able by finding thrown weapons like the shuriken in The Samurai Mod
- will them using the thrower skill screw with things too much?

;;
Similarly, I've heard that there's mods which change the rate of blocks you get. I'm wondering how that's done, and what does it so far, as I know they're not in the access-able raws.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

Oof that baton is strong. It hits 10cm2 with 4 times the force used. Even a kobold could probably brain a dragon with that. with a prep and recover of 1:1
the strike attack is a little more reasonable

As for "rate of blocks" you can check out Splint's  Splint's Utility Mod - Bulk building materials and other stuff which helps with the new workshops that can make more blocks per material

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

snip

Woops. I was actually trying to make it a bit closer to rolled-up news-paper damage (esp bc it's a way to train maces). I'm gonna up contact area and lower velocity
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And ty!
-------
On the subject of the lawn darts again, I'm trying to think of if they'd be an edge with fairly low contact are (around bolts or under), unsure on penetration, and probably a low velocity (due to them generally being tossed overhand).
Kinda mixed where their lethality would be, but the original idea was to give kobolds a "weapon" that fits my idea of "high birth-rate, high mortality rate"

edit: I also don't know how a thrown weapon would work. Would they be carried like ammo, or would they only carry one and try to pick it up, a la Frisbee?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:37:10 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

Sorry seemed I missed your lawn-dart (throwing dart) weapon idea.

if you want the attacks to be goofy for a blunt make the contact 500-1000 in that range, and leave the velocity at 1000 (means no bonus) however as it is now, it's decent as a weapon, I'd pick it over a mace or warhammer for sure, because of the 1:3 (be able to strike a foe quickly with the same recovery as 99% of in game attacks) even if the contact area is larger than a mace's it'd still work well for a light/first contact militia

the lawn darts you'd need to make the ranged weapon for it 1st. Could be a "club w/ throwing darts" it's better to use the [ADJECTIVE] tag because then the weapon would read: "Throwing darts and iron club" leaving the "throwing darts" section appearing to be unmaterialized because the ammo would be whatever dart they throw (fire)
EDIT: forgot to mention for the example previously mentioned regarding naming it'd have to be [ADJECTIVE:throwing darts and]

as for the SHOOT_X values I'd just use what the blowgun has.

The "Dart" ammo the attacks should reflect what a dart could do. remember for weapon and ammo attacks they are in cm2 unlike creature attacks that are cm3 based on the set perc of the part being used to attack. Googling modern lawn darts they'd indicated to be 30cm long, so I'd say the contact would be 5 and pen 15-20.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

info

Ah, well I added [TRAINING] with the intent of only using it as a training weapon (wooden and all) rather than an actual one. Or at least the intent is to make it fairly weak for that purpose. The recovery is also just to ensure it trains well, as I assume it's per-strike skill rate.

This brings up a weird question. If penetration would only be 15-20, why do bolts have 1k? I'm assuming they're generally the same size.
And ty, I'd thought having the skill be throwing they'd automatically be considered a ranged projectile, but it still needs a launcher
(is there anything I should keep in mind to assure they've got lethal chance, as I know the blow gun is relatively survivable)

Edit: actually you're right. They'd be good to keep around for things like an emergency militia, if I want dwarves dog-piling
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:03:28 pm by Ianflow »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

I offered the pen number to be low because *I feel* that it'd be rather hard to throw something so hard that it could embed into something so deed that it could essentially penetrate their body completely. however a Bolt is also being launched from a taunt crossbow cable. And smaller than an arrow it's designed to sink in rather deep (hence the most penetration is 1k)

much like how most melee weapons have high pen numbers because it's the in theory if you had swung it as hard as you could with a perfect hit that's how deep it could power on through. And the contact area sizes to give the feeling of "swinging it/swinging in an arc" + the size of the blade's physical contact area. Since the Contact + Pen is what determines if the added force is enough to sever a limb or not (since parts are composed of numerous materials, and are sized relative to the creature).

but yeah. you could set the dart to be a deeper penetration like 500, or even 1k but I personally think that's rather much for a thrown weapon.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[Whoops double post]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:33:38 am by Mim »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 120