Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 176889 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Is it possible to limit labors a creature can perform in the raws? Such as creating a caste that can only craft for example.
Every skill to 1% experience gain, then "allow" some skills
    [SKILL_RATES:1:100:6:14] --most awful at learning, 1% xp.
    [SKILL_LEARN_RATE:CHEESEMAKING:60]
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Is it possible to limit labors a creature can perform in the raws? Such as creating a caste that can only craft for example.
Every skill to 1% experience gain, then "allow" some skills
    [SKILL_RATES:1:100:6:14] --most awful at learning, 1% xp.
    [SKILL_LEARN_RATE:CHEESEMAKING:60]

Couldn't you just swap the first for [SKILL_LEARN_RATES:0]?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you had an environment or a layer tag to a metal will it appear in the world just like a stone or a gem would? And if so, what happens when you try to mine it?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

It would appear, but I think you'd have to [M]elt it as digging it out would yield BOULDER not BARS. So you'd essentially be mining BOULDERs of METAL

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would appear, but I think you'd have to [M]elt it as digging it out would yield BOULDER not BARS. So you'd essentially be mining BOULDERs of METAL

Hmm, I can work with that. As long as it doesn't cause a crash or anything metal boulders will be fine for my purpose. Thanks

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, I can work with that. As long as it doesn't cause a crash or anything metal boulders will be fine for my purpose. Thanks

That's uh, techncially a ore from a certain standpoint, or least it should in theory convert perfectly to bars.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

That's uh, techncially a ore from a certain standpoint, or least it should in theory convert perfectly to bars.

"Ore" as you call it has a tag called [METAL_ORE:metal:yield-chance] so technically I guess you could give something like IRON [METAL_ORE:IRON:100] and in theory (just going with it) it'd be smelted like any other ore. If not you'll have to designate it to be [M]elted in game

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION
« Reply #1327 on: August 02, 2019, 06:06:18 am »

Can a sword give the wielder a syndrome through contact? Would gloves stop it? What about giving a dwarf a syndrome by wearing apiece of clothing?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 02, 2019, 10:19:47 am »

No, solid objects ignore the syndrome rules. It would have to melt first. I tried melting clothes as a way to spread syndromes, and while it definitely works 100%, it does leave puddles of goop everywhere and leaves some particularly unlucky dwarves stark naked, demanding new cloths from the get-go, and thus is far from unintrusive.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 02, 2019, 02:05:06 pm »

No, solid objects ignore the syndrome rules. It would have to melt first. I tried melting clothes as a way to spread syndromes, and while it definitely works 100%, it does leave puddles of goop everywhere and leaves some particularly unlucky dwarves stark naked, demanding new cloths from the get-go, and thus is far from unintrusive.

Is it possible to have it go straight to gas and use inhalation to skip the goo? And is it possible to have it melt very slowly so that it never really all goes away?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 02, 2019, 02:28:47 pm »

Yeah it should sublimate if the boiling point is below the melting point, inhalation is generally less likely to take effect just because creatures don't take a breath every single tick, and clouds of stuff that boils don't spread or linger much.

I tried making my material with a super high specific heat (the amount of energy necessary to raise it's effective temperature) and that didn't seem to help a whole lot. It might take a couple more ticks to happen, but once it reaches melting point the entire item melts in one instant.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:30:29 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 02, 2019, 04:49:26 pm »

Ah. My plan was to make fishing poles, fishing hats, etc. that gave bonus to the fishing skill, but that doesn't sound like it will work. I wonder if I could do something with bait?

Reaction: fishing pole (not destroyed in reaction) + (worm/grass or whatever) = bait/lure (that instantly melts and gives a syndrome)

Will the dwarf making this get a syndrome just for making it? Will every other dwarf get it too that steps in the goo?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 02, 2019, 07:26:25 pm »

No, because the product of reactions stays in the workshop, not on the dwarf that completed the reaction. The melted goo would never be removed from the workshop because it would no longer count as an item that can be stockpiled. The evaporating item would be more likely to pass on a syndrome in that case. I've had a lot of success making the product an edible item that dwarves then eat and contract the syndrome. But the dwarf who made the food isn't likely to be the one who eats it unless you micromanage food access
I make Spellcrafts!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 02, 2019, 11:53:51 pm »

"Ore" as you call it has a tag called [METAL_ORE:metal:yield-chance] so technically I guess you could give something like IRON [METAL_ORE:IRON:100] and in theory (just going with it) it'd be smelted like any other ore. If not you'll have to designate it to be [M]elted in game

Following up on this, would putting a METAL_ORE tag on a gem make it be able to be used the same as a stone? And would only the uncut version be considered an "ore", or would the cut version be able to be smelted too?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 03, 2019, 12:18:22 am »

Following up on this, would putting a METAL_ORE tag on a gem make it be able to be used the same as a stone? And would only the uncut version be considered an "ore", or would the cut version be able to be smelted too?

I don't think so, because GEMs when mined drop the item type ROUGH (for uncut gems) and cuts gems are SMALLGEM and large cut gems are GEM and I don't think the vanilla smelter reaction looks for those item types just BOULDER types with METAL_ORE on them

you could make a custom reaction that could take them, and spit out a metal
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 120