Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 176472 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION
« Reply #1770 on: January 15, 2020, 03:04:37 am »

You need to add gaits, ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER to attacks, rework any plants, add geldable flags to the males, smells and vision angles if they need to be something other than the default, add OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE, LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE, and LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES to the relevant creatures, and add the new features to entities. There's a ton of new tags there such as scholars, mercenaries, beast hunters, scouts, art, display furniture, and anything else. There'll probably be new tokens in the new update, and I might also be forgetting something.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1771 on: January 17, 2020, 06:47:04 am »

I've just recently been inspired to work on my very unfinished 0.34 mod again, but would like to know what needs to be updated to port it to 0.44. I looked through the modding forum, but couldn't find anything on this somehow, even though I'm sure there have been threads about it.

My crude guide to updating from DF 2012 to 2014: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12296
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: January 17, 2020, 01:51:08 pm »

I've read various things about how generic leather/wool/cloth/silk can help with the speed of the game. I can certainly see how it would make stocks simpler to read, instead of 200 individual leather gloves made from 200 different animals, it would simply be 200 "leather" gloves. same for woolen socks. instead of 4 sheep wool, 4 llama wool, 4 alpaca wool socks, you'd have 12 "wool" socks.

Does it actually help the speed of the game ? or just make inventory and trade much less fiddly ?

What would be the best way to go about such a thing ?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1773 on: January 17, 2020, 03:38:07 pm »

I think it's just a general speedup because there isn't as much bloat. Since everything is loaded into memory, and most likely arrays when stuff like temp, damage, combat stuff Needs to be calculated it has a huge list of SKIN, BONE, MUSCLE, FAT, LEATHER, THREAD, etc to go through to get the numbers it needs to do the math.

But if you cut that down it makes the game able to function at a faster pace. Not only that but the smaller lists help too (why be able to trade/order/see in stocks 500+ types of something, that is functionally all the same? barring stuff like IMP and DRAGON stuff since they are *fireproof*)

Even if one leather is the same as the rest (mostly) it's more for fluff like, hey I'm wearing kitten socks, instead of I'm wearing soft leather socks.

People like myself don't care about what i'm wearing (the fine details, just what type I am wearing and what does it do, stats) I know for creatures I've created a "General Material Framework" (I have a really ugly HTML doc for what files are what, what CVs do what, and a quick copy. If used right you can very easy use a COPY and REPLACE sections of creatures with the desired CV that'd give them the generic materials) which is really just a series of Creature Variations that more or less manually define tissues but use the material from another creature

EDIT:

Some basic files are added with the GMF for things like PUS, and BLOOD which there are CVs that will make use of those. But if you wanted you can easily just reference what I have in the GMF and learn from and make your own version as you see that you need. Or just use what you think you need from it as you see fit
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:49:49 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: January 27, 2020, 05:40:48 am »

Let's commit some threadomancy!

...So, I've made a super simple personal mod that adds skull helmets into the game (as in skull-shaped, not made of skulls. That would've been harder to mod in), and the fundamentals are working as intended... except with one thing, and that's the fact that the skull helmet should take 3 bars to make, not one like the ordinary helm, but still takes only one bar to make in-game/on practice.

The spoiler below contains the raws from item_helm.txt and reactions_other.txt that I've added. I've already edited the default_entities.txt file to add the permission to make the actual helmets.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can someone tell me what's wrong with the raws, or is it hardcoded, so that the custom helmets can only use only one bar?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: January 27, 2020, 06:35:10 am »

Let's commit some threadomancy!

...So, I've made a super simple personal mod that adds skull helmets into the game (as in skull-shaped, not made of skulls. That would've been harder to mod in), and the fundamentals are working as intended... except with one thing, and that's the fact that the skull helmet should take 3 bars to make, not one like the ordinary helm, but still takes only one bar to make in-game/on practice.

The spoiler below contains the raws from item_helm.txt and reactions_other.txt that I've added. I've already edited the default_entities.txt file to add the permission to make the actual helmets.

Can someone tell me what's wrong with the raws, or is it hardcoded, so that the custom helmets can only use only one bar?

A quirk of bars is that they use dimensions instead of numbers. To use up a whole bar as a reagent in a reaction, you need a quantity of 150. So in your reaction, you should use [REAGENT:bar:450:METAL:NONE:NONE:NONE] if you want it to consume 3 bars. Also, since this is a clothing/armour item, you shouldn't even need a custom reaction to create it if you're planning to make it out of its intended materials. Provided you've added the clothing item to the entity, the game should automatically add it to the appropriate workshop menu, from what I remember (so in this case, whatever menu helmets are made in the forge).

Edit: Also additionally in the item definition you've defined the MATERIAL_SIZE as 3. The MATERIAL_SIZE value is divided by 3 to determine how many bars it takes to make. You need a value of 9 for the game-generated reaction to require 3 bars.

I've also come here with a problem because I made the mistake of wanting to make a magic mod, and I can't remember something about syndromes:
Do multiple instances of the same syndrome stack and/or is there a way to prevent them from doing so/flag that they can? I know that there's something for adding concentration to an existing syndrome, but I don't know if that still also reapplies it. I also half-remember that interaction-granted syndromes and syndromes granted from other means might differ in some way when it comes to this? Any help from anybody in the know would be appreciated :P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:53:43 am by Atkana »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: January 29, 2020, 05:31:09 am »

We have skill randomization now for reaction results

new reaction tags:
      [SKILL_ROLL_RANGE:<basic range>:<multiplier>]
         The skill roll is: random(basic range) + random((skill level * multipler)/2 + 1) + random((skill level * multipler)/2 + 1)
         random(x) returns a number between 0 and x-1, so basic range is always 1 or more.  The default is 11.
         The default multiplier is 5.
      [SKILL_IP:<integer>]  Default is 30.
      [ATTRIBUTE_IP:<integer>]  Default is 10.

Reactions that either generate resources out of thin air, or previously needed tiers of success can now just be automated, such as summoning things by pretending to pray at a workshop altar.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: January 29, 2020, 07:58:47 pm »

My crude guide to upgrading from 44.12 to 47.01:
(use WinMerge to see all the precise changes between vanilla 44.12 and 47.01.)

Code: [Select]
raws changes:
- word:company. all langs. [SYMBOL:NAME_ENTITY_MERCHANT_COMPANY].
 delete monastery and convent words from language_SYM.txt
 [CATEGORY:SIMPLE] to some descriptors. many shapes added to descriptors.
- interaction, pet_animal. [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:PET_ANIMAL] to 13? humanoids. To all those who can spit, I suppose.

-  to entities:
  [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_ALTAR]
[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DIE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:MERCHANT_COMPANY:NAME_ENTITY_MERCHANT_COMPANY]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:CRAFT_GUILD:NAME_ENTITY_MERCHANT_COMPANY] this is correct for now
dungeon master
espionage
[USE_NON_EXOTIC_PET_RACE] was on humans.
  example secret.

init changes:
new world gen params:
[NIGHTMARE_NUMBER:14]
[WEREBEAST_ATTACK_TRIGGER:20:0:25000]
[GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1] [ALLOW_DIVINATION:1] [ALLOW_DEMONIC_EXPERIMENTS:1] [ALLOW_NECROMANCER_EXPERIMENTS:1] [ALLOW_NECROMANCER_LIEUTENANTS:1] [ALLOW_NECROMANCER_GHOULS:1] [ALLOW_NECROMANCER_SUMMONS:1]

interface.txt and others merged.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: January 29, 2020, 10:31:38 pm »

My crude guide to upgrading from 44.12 to 47.01:
(use WinMerge to see all the precise changes between vanilla 44.12 and 47.01.)

Code: [Select]
raws changes:
- word:company. all langs. [SYMBOL:NAME_ENTITY_MERCHANT_COMPANY].
 delete monastery and convent words from language_SYM.txt
 [CATEGORY:SIMPLE] to some descriptors. many shapes added to descriptors.
- interaction, pet_animal. [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:PET_ANIMAL] to 13? humanoids. To all those who can spit, I suppose.

-  to entities:
  [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_ALTAR]
[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DIE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:MERCHANT_COMPANY:NAME_ENTITY_MERCHANT_COMPANY]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:CRAFT_GUILD:NAME_ENTITY_MERCHANT_COMPANY] this is correct for now
dungeon master
espionage
[USE_NON_EXOTIC_PET_RACE] was on humans.
  example secret.

init changes:
new world gen params:
[NIGHTMARE_NUMBER:14]
[WEREBEAST_ATTACK_TRIGGER:20:0:25000]
[GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1] [ALLOW_DIVINATION:1] [ALLOW_DEMONIC_EXPERIMENTS:1] [ALLOW_NECROMANCER_EXPERIMENTS:1] [ALLOW_NECROMANCER_LIEUTENANTS:1] [ALLOW_NECROMANCER_GHOULS:1] [ALLOW_NECROMANCER_SUMMONS:1]

interface.txt and others merged.
There's also a tool (maybe a plugin) in Notepad++ that will compare files for you. Handy if you're already using that for raw editing.

Taras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: January 30, 2020, 03:48:03 pm »

In some old mods dwarves 'smoke' cigars. These cigars was plants with seed that entirely evaporate into smoke because fixed temperature. Can I make cigars as FISH and how it may be coded?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: January 30, 2020, 07:13:48 pm »

In some old mods dwarves 'smoke' cigars. These cigars was plants with seed that entirely evaporate into smoke because fixed temperature. Can I make cigars as FISH and how it may be coded?
That old thread: edible cigars rolled at the kiln: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110381.0
no ingestable syndrome.
"Once eaten the cigar will leave behind a 'seed' that will evaporate into smoke."

Taras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: January 30, 2020, 07:19:19 pm »

That old thread: edible cigars rolled at the kiln: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110381.0
no ingestable syndrome.
"Once eaten the cigar will leave behind a 'seed' that will evaporate into smoke."
Yes, this thread. But I want cigar as 'fish', not as 'plant'. Special non-cookable and non-existent in waterpools type of fish.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: January 31, 2020, 04:00:52 pm »

Something like this, but this CREATURE is not eatable at all. You wouldn't eat an elephant.
A custom reaction outputs this creature's meat(or something other material, like carrot, for eating). The "smokeable" item needs to be of edible material, possibly a prepared version of this FISHITEM.

example of how to convert rocksalt boulder into edible plant:

DarthRubik

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Rubik's Cubes for their colorful pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: February 01, 2020, 06:12:22 pm »

Foolish question....... Why in the default raws do the non-playable races (humans, elves and kobalds) have "PERMITTED_REACTION" tags in their entity if they aren't playable?

Does this mean that if only the dwarves have a reaction for steel that the only one capable of having are dwarves?  If this is the case then why don't world gen dwarves have adamantium?

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: February 01, 2020, 06:19:21 pm »

Dwarves don't have adamantine in world gen because it has the [DEEP_SPECIAL] token
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120