Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 174397 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2018, 10:07:37 pm »

Even easier to just use the gui/hack-wish interface which grabs those lists already.

i don't know why i didn't think about that, since i literally wrote that script

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 08, 2018, 03:58:03 pm »

This is probably a ridiculous question and it does seem like something I should already know, but what (if anything) determines whether an item of clothing is preferred by civ leaders/position holders vs ordinary commoners? Is it the value? Coverage? I've been assuming value, but I'm not entirely sure the [VALUE] tag does anything.

Also, similarly, is there anything that makes certain pieces of equipment or certain articles of clothing more likely to be decorated? Value maybe? Like, say, would there be any possible way to make surcoats or shields decorated with randomly generated heraldry or heraldic charges be a common thing? Or would the only way to make reliable heraldic surcoats/shields be just literally making dozens of individual variations of surcoat/shield with different heraldic charges/ordinaries/divisions/tinctures? Because that would be a massive pain.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 08, 2018, 06:42:41 pm »

Nothing quite so particular, [(TYPE): (ARMOR OR CLOTHING): COMMON(/UNCOMMON)] determines what clothing pieces are availible to a civilisation as well as if they are shared with all members.

When set to UNCOMMON, if there are any particular factors that single out a dwarf to want/generate in worldgen with a particular clothing style from the uncommon list, i dont know about it whereas COMMON will apply to all relevant example of dwarves in civilian & military life and these are all set at the entity_default.txt raw file. UNCOMMON seems to be based heavily on personal preferences, and it may be inclined that the wearer likes that particular type of clothing and hence is equipped in it, without economies, DF doesn't rely on the status or economy you envisaged to realise people buying their own clothes.

Take a look at the other civ's clothes and you'll see examples like
Code: [Select]
//for elves
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HOOD:COMMON] //Frequent in design, you can buy these items straight from the elven trade wagon
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_TURBAN:UNCOMMON] // Wont appear in trading, may occasionally appear in sieges in soldier's individual uniforms or on the heads of visitors/adventures etc etc.
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_VEIL_HEAD:UNCOMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_SCARF_HEAD:UNCOMMON]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 08, 2018, 08:15:29 pm »

COMMON/UNCOMMON/RARE/FORCED have nothing to do with personal preference--they determine how often entire civilizations will have access to that equipment, not how often individuals will.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2018, 05:19:41 am »

Apologies if i misconstrued what i meant a bit, but if there are preferences towards a dwarf liking a object then it would affect them personally to obtain it despite rarity out of the civilisations availible clothing types. Of course you're correct, its a civilisation wide tag but i would have thought that i already explained that point across when i directly mentioned the entity_default raw file (with other civ centric tags) & referenced FOREST civ tokens in my example.

I was trying to add a justfiable reasoning to why this happens if it is not entirely down to indeterminable chance or random allocation when clothes are distributed civilisation wide when that tag is added.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2018, 01:33:20 pm »

Would it be possible to make a reaction that would allow one to turn a piece of armor into a larger piece of armor?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2018, 06:41:17 pm »

Yes but in game you will have to make sure you work the stockpile system right, which honestly is going to be more micro managing. You will need an armor stockpile that takes from your workshops so homemade and "converted" armors are put there, and anything else is put into another "outsider" stockpile, your workshop (or chosen vanilla workshop to house your custom reaction) will take from that stockpile and put into the homemade stockpile.

the only issue if it is still one is GLOVE conversion since there is a LEFT and RIGHT (if that's still an issue)

Reason for the stockpile management is because the reaction will take a piece of armor, and output the same piece of armor, however since there are many types you might be making a BREAST_PLATE convert, CHAIN_MAIL convert, etc etc

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2018, 09:05:18 am »

Can I remove the planting of crops by deleting [SPRING][SUMMER][WINTER][AUTUMN] tags from all plants?
Does this affect their normal growth in the wild?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2018, 01:21:06 pm »

Removing those tags just limits what seasons they can appear in, Naturally and Farm-ablity and if the GROWDUR exceeds the allowed seasons they will automatically die (on ground and in fields)
because they can't finish growing before their season ends

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2018, 09:16:13 pm »

Good to know about the GROWDUR bit. Is there any other way I could disable the planting of plants in farm plots, even if seeds are present?

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2018, 02:25:16 am »

What happens if you add the [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] (let a creature steal stuff like keas) to a sentient race that's part of a civilizations, e.g. Dwarves?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2018, 05:28:32 am »

IIRC it has the same issue as with PACK_ANIMAL. The creature will "haul" stuff around but it won't be able to put it down, so they'll just walk around holding the item until you forbid it.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2018, 05:42:19 am »

IIRC it has the same issue as with PACK_ANIMAL. The creature will "haul" stuff around but it won't be able to put it down, so they'll just walk around holding the item until you forbid it.

Good to know.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2018, 03:16:21 pm »

Speaking of things that are good to know, I've been working on adding more civilizations to my DF and one of the races, a mantis person, seem to spawn into the arena without the ability to grasp, see or stand.. Anyone know why this is?

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2018, 03:33:48 pm »

If you post the RAWs for your mantis person, somebody who's better at creature modding than I am can probably take a look and tell you if you forgot to add hands or something.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 120