Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 176699 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #255 on: February 05, 2018, 08:21:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure the game assumes very acute alcohol poisoning, the kind that might prevent breathing altogether--which I'm not even sure is something that's going to realistically happen, due to general lack of coordination causing loss of ability to drink further or vomiting causing loss of further drinks or similar or, hell, as mentioned above, aspiration causing death first, but the game simulates none of that, so just losing lung function completely is the way that goes.

And all of that assumes nobody is around to help keep the drinker from killing theirself with acute alcohol poisoning, which is a reasonable assumption in real life but not in Dwarf Fortress due to the total lack of behavior coded in for that kind of thing.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #256 on: February 06, 2018, 01:26:44 am »

I'm pretty sure the game assumes very acute alcohol poisoning, the kind that might prevent breathing altogether--which I'm not even sure is something that's going to realistically happen, due to general lack of coordination causing loss of ability to drink further or vomiting causing loss of further drinks or similar or, hell, as mentioned above, aspiration causing death first, but the game simulates none of that, so just losing lung function completely is the way that goes.

And all of that assumes nobody is around to help keep the drinker from killing theirself with acute alcohol poisoning, which is a reasonable assumption in real life but not in Dwarf Fortress due to the total lack of behavior coded in for that kind of thing.
It's also worth noting due to dwarven drinking and sleeping habits: they usually die currently either due to a tavern keeper present shoving cups down their gullet or barrels littering on the floor that they will gladly kegstand. This means, when they choke on their vomit or otherwise ceasing breathing, they are very often surrounded by at least 10 dwarves due to tavern populousness.
The threshold is also extremely steep, but another thing that bothered me is how the dose of alcohol ingame feels less like all beverages are halfway to hard liquor, rather than being the low alcohol content you'd see actually filling barrels and used to actually hydrate people with.
One short-term solution, i'd imagine, is to make unconsciousness onset a little earlier, make suffocation onset a lot later. Aside from that, I imagine testing needs to be done to make extra sure that tavern keepers won't force alcohol into an unconscious dwarf (I have my suspicions, but no evidence).

One thing that would be cool in the future is a tantrum variant that involves a dwarf stealing a whole barrel of alcohol and liquor and hiding in their room/a small room/stockpile/barracks. From that point, they'll nurse off the barrel until the tantrum ends they run out of alcohol, or die from alcohol poisoning due to a combination of poor disease resistance, some willpower or focus (to resist the unconsciousness with, if applicable at this point), and high indulgence rating.
Speaking of which, for situations like this, tantrums, or for any other reasons, a way to designate a fort member or visitor for arrest for arbitrary, good, or made up reasons should be in order.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 06, 2018, 01:29:40 am »

Hell, different kinds of tantrums based on emotions just seems good in general. Rage tantrums for the angry, drunken benders for the intemperate, panic attacks for the anxious etc.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #258 on: February 06, 2018, 01:33:16 am »

Hell, different kinds of tantrums based on emotions just seems good in general. Rage tantrums for the angry, drunken benders for the intemperate, panic attacks for the anxious etc.
Currently, strong specific emotions can force certain states (mortified and fear cause dwarves to collapse on the ground, rage causes them to trigger an enraged state (only matters in combat), etc), just not full blown sessions like a good tantrum.
I do say that's one of the neat things of Rimworld by comparison, the different "refusing orders" states caused by bad emotional states, though rimworld also allows you to throw anyone in these states into jail in case you don't want someone wandering in a dazed stupor into a crowd of enraged sword-robots.

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 06, 2018, 06:45:43 am »

So I'm trying to do a similar syndrome like vampire curse. The goal is to get the syndrome after drinking the blood of a specific creature, in this case, called Seraph. However, I do not know how I can restrict the syndrome being caused only by Seraph blood and not by the blood of any other creature.

Here is my raw this far:

Code: [Select]
interaction_seraph

[OBJECT:INTERACTION]

[INTERACTION:SERAPH_BLESSING]

[I_SOURCE:INGESTION]
[IS_HIST_STRING_1: consumed the divine blood of ]
[IS_HIST_STRING_2: and was blessed]

[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_LEARN]
[IT_REQUIRES:HAS_BLOOD]
[IT_FORBIDDEN:SUPERNATURAL]

[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Seraph]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:SERAPH]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:15]
[CE:CREATURE:SERAPH:FEMALE]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NOFEAR:NOEMOTION:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:START:0]
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:120:0:AGILITY:120:0:TOUGHNESS:120:0:START:0]
[CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:NONE:NONE:1:2]
[CE_BODY_MAT_INTERACTION:MAT_TOKEN:RESERVED_BLOOD:START:0]
[CE:INTERACTION:SERAPH_BLESSING]
[CE:SYNDROME_TAG:SYN_INGESTED]
[CE:SYNDROME_TAG:SYN_INJECTED]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:13:43 am by Erde »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #260 on: February 06, 2018, 07:22:06 am »

So I'm trying to do a similar syndrome like vampire curse. The goal is to get the syndrome after drinking the blood of a specific creature, in this case, called Seraph. However, I do not know how I can restrict the syndrome being caused only by Seraph blood and not by the blood of any other creature.
Create a new type of blood, seraphblood, that exists only inside seraphs? (caravans will bring barrels of it, probably)
(inside the seraphblood material, a syndrome that triggers on SYN_INGESTED)

How would you make fort-mode dwarves DRINK the rare blood? Cats' lick-to-clean tag?   Would contact-syndrome be better?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:30:02 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 06, 2018, 10:08:16 am »

Create a new type of blood, seraphblood, that exists only inside seraphs? (caravans will bring barrels of it, probably)
(inside the seraphblood material, a syndrome that triggers on SYN_INGESTED)

How would you make fort-mode dwarves DRINK the rare blood? Cats' lick-to-clean tag?   Would contact-syndrome be better?

Thanks a bunch man. And terve. :D
Managed to make it work the way you suggested. I don't really mind that dwarves are not likely to drink it in the fort mode since I made this in adventure mode in mind. Tho I wish I knew a way to make it happen by eating an organ like the heart, but I see no mention of syndromes in body_default.txt so this will have to do for now. If anyone has any tips on that regard, please let me know.

SunRaTheThird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 06, 2018, 03:53:58 pm »

Thanks for the advice, Will try the increase syndrome dilution.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2018, 04:42:21 am »

Hello,

I've just released my grenade mod on this forum, which adds throwable grenades to Dwarf Fortress. It works by using an Adventure Mode-enabled reaction that turns any grenade into an <<ACTIVE GRENADE>> which is made of a material that ignites at room temperature, but boils at about 200 degrees above that, so there is a time delay before it explodes. The explosive gases have an inhalation syndrome that causes severe necrosis of skin and severe bleeding and pain in all tissues. However, I've noticed through extensive arena testing that the syndrome only takes effect when a creature is caught in a "cloud" of the grenade gas as opposed to a "burst" of the grenade gas. Does anyone know a way to make the "cloud" effect happen more often (every time, preferably)? I've tried increasing the volume of the grenade, to no effect.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:59:01 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 16, 2018, 06:06:18 am »

Quick question: Does ITEMCORPSE work with vermin? I can't spawn them in the Arena to test.

I ask because I had a plan for implementing "driftwood" on beaches correctly, rather than the awkward decorative tiles we have now. A jellyfish-like vermin with BEACH_FREQUENCY:90 would end up on the beach and die - but rather than leave snacks behind, it'd ITEMCORPSE into logs. If that proved successful, casts of varying frequency/rarity could be used to wash up other items such as barrels, beds, or even weapons. Limiting such a creature to the Arctic oceans would then be a great way to make glacial forts more playable.

I also wanted to see if I could make bees ITEMCORPSE into something explosive on death. But either way, need to know about ITEMCORPSE first.

EDIT: Well, this is disappointing. Replaced [SMALL_REMAINS] with the ITEMCORPSE entry from the Bronze Colossus, including quality; after embarking with thirty cats, all I got out of it was a "rat Chunk" in my remains stockpile. Disappointing. But perhaps someone else has figured it out?

Alternatively, is there a way to make non-vermin creatures invisible/unselectable until they die, without triggering ambush announcements? Then I could just do a mundane creature and get ITEMCORPSE to work correctly on beaching.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:40:55 am by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2018, 12:56:39 pm »

Alternatively, is there a way to make non-vermin creatures invisible/unselectable until they die, without triggering ambush announcements? Then I could just do a mundane creature and get ITEMCORPSE to work correctly on beaching.
How about a "driftwood workshop", where piece of some arctic-only fish or mussel or driftwood_turtle goes in, and driftwood_logs (bad for weapon and furniture making) might come out, 40% chance. Can add limiting requirements to constructing the driftwood workshop, eg. ice boulders, bucketful of saltwater(?), axe, saw, or sea creature piece.

Fishermen catching "a fish and a driftwood" creature and workshop outputting both fish and pearl and driftwood logs.

ps. oh it's you Warlord255! We still using your nice Bonfire add-on.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:59:32 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2018, 07:11:52 pm »

I'm looking to fiddle with Invasions / Sieges a bit after installing Fortress Defense Mod II. 

I know a little bit, that the 3 tokens PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE, PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE, and PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE affect when the race will invade, and that they scale from tier 0 to tier 5.

However, does anybody know what values correspond to this 0-5 scale?  I head for the Population trigger, Tier 2 or 3 is population=80.  Does anybody know what the other tiers equal, and values of wealth the other token tiers equal?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2018, 09:35:10 pm »

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 18, 2018, 02:31:23 am »

Derp  :-[ , sorry, all this time I had been looking over that page with all the tokens but only at the specific tokens for the sieges, not realizing that the tokens just above them for general progres actually had the info in it.  Thanks for the tip!

Oh, one other question, now that I see there are two sets of tokens, I'm a little confused at the difference between them.  E.G. there is a PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION token and a PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE token, but what's the difference?  The "SIEGE" tokens specifies it's for sieges, but the "POPULATION" token references hostile civs attacking; aren't they the same thing?

In particular, I'm confused when the "POPULATION" token mentions "Note: hostile civs require that the population trigger be fulfilled as well as at least one other trigger before attacking." but then the "SIEGE" token says "If multiple progress triggers exist for a civ, it will come when any one of them is fulfilled instead of waiting for all of them to be reached. A value of 0 disables the trigger."  Aren't those two notes contradicting each other, or am I misunderstanding something?  If a civ has a value of 1 for all six tokens, and I reach 20 dwarves but 0 created or exported wealth, do I get attacked?  The "POPULATION" token implies that I wouldn't, since it says I require "at least one other trigger before attacking," but the "SIEGE" token implies I would get attacked since it says the attack "will come when any one of them is fulfilled instead of waiting for all of them to be reached."

What happens in practice?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:55:58 am by Xen0n »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2018, 03:48:01 am »

I'm not sure, but I think that the "POPULATION" token refers to the population of the site that  created the siege, while the "POP_SIEGE" token refers to the one that is receiving the siege. So, the wiki is saying that the "POPULATION" trigger for the creation-site must be satisfied as well as at least one of the triggers for the target-site in order for the siege to be generated.

Might be totally wrong though.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 120