Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 174395 times)

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #660 on: July 08, 2018, 09:07:26 pm »

I'm trying to create a race/civilization similar to the Varls(giants) from The Banner saga, and I'd like to make it so that there's variation from giant to giant, but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing it. Specifically descriptors like: "His horns are curved downwards." or "His horns are curved upwards", as well as the color of their horn/horns. I'd also like to, if it's possible, make it so that each giant has a random number of horns. I.E one may have two, another three. Is this possible? And if it is, to what extent, and how can I do it? Thanks in advance. :D

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #661 on: July 08, 2018, 11:54:46 pm »

I'm trying to create a race/civilization similar to the Varls(giants) from The Banner saga, and I'd like to make it so that there's variation from giant to giant, but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing it. Specifically descriptors like: "His horns are curved downwards." or "His horns are curved upwards", as well as the color of their horn/horns. I'd also like to, if it's possible, make it so that each giant has a random number of horns. I.E one may have two, another three. Is this possible? And if it is, to what extent, and how can I do it? Thanks in advance. :D

Define their main body plan [BODY:HEAD, NECK, Etc]

then setup a bunch of male and female castes where and have each one add a [BODY:2HORNS] or 3HORNS or whatever. then after the castes in the SELECT_CASTE:ALL use the tissue layering stuff [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBREA_TISSUE_LAYERS]

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 09, 2018, 01:23:46 am »

question, i'm trying to modify bees to produce mutated bees out of hive_product.

[HIVE_PRODUCT:1:201600:PET:NO_SUBTYPE:BLACK_BEE:ASSASSIN]

this "BLACK_BEE" is a separate entity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

now the main question is, will this entity be fully tamable?

also a different question, how does shrub even produce fruits without defining them in the file?
take sun berries for example, nowhere is the fruit defined, even the MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT is under the structural token.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

or is my guess correct, the entire shrub is the fruit?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:46:15 am by EpicMadness »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 09, 2018, 02:07:47 am »

question, i'm trying to modify bees to produce mutated bees out of hive_product.

[HIVE_PRODUCT:1:201600:PET:NO_SUBTYPE:BLACK_BEE:ASSASSIN]

this "BLACK_BEE" is a separate entity.

--snip--

now the main question is, will this entity be fully tamable?

also a different question, how does shrub even produce fruits without defining them in the file?
take sun berries for example, nowhere is the fruit defined, even the MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT is under the structural token.

--snip--

or is my guess correct, the entire shrub is the fruit?

I don't think any ITEMTYPE that requires a creature works correctly, I mean if it did your format would work, can try it. But you might be saddened to find they might be "casteless" and thus only just only exist as Black Bee

As for your Plant question, Sun Berries were around before GROWTHs were implemented, so they're the old way of the plant, instead of how berries are now.
So basically your chosen example is literal "berries" growing out of the ground to be picked. For the longest time we just used "imagination"

so yeah, the Sun berry plant, the entire thing, is the FRUIT that you speak of

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 09, 2018, 02:22:40 am »

well caste on the black bee isn't really mandatory, since i don't need anything caste specific.
i just wanted hives to produce trainable (disposable) war bugs.

as for the berries, i see so they were using the old coding, this somewhat simplifies it yet it also doesn't.
e.g. how do i make shrubs generate woods or twigs when harvested?

edit: wait, can i mix in "growth" tokens into shrubs? that might make it possible to harvest wood branches from sun berries a few times a year.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:18:11 am by EpicMadness »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 09, 2018, 08:24:21 am »

well caste on the black bee isn't really mandatory, since i don't need anything caste specific.
i just wanted hives to produce trainable (disposable) war bugs.

as for the berries, i see so they were using the old coding, this somewhat simplifies it yet it also doesn't.
e.g. how do i make shrubs generate woods or twigs when harvested?

edit: wait, can i mix in "growth" tokens into shrubs? that might make it possible to harvest wood branches from sun berries a few times a year.

PET and VERMIN itemtypes only produce vermin-like creatures (you know the little dots that scramble around, and you use an 'animal trap' to catch, those vermin-types) So no you wan't harvest a full-sized creature from the hive.

As for Sun Berries, you could rework them to be a proper shrub, and then also add those other GROWTHs you wanted to.

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 09, 2018, 09:03:20 am »

PET and VERMIN itemtypes only produce vermin-like creatures (you know the little dots that scramble around, and you use an 'animal trap' to catch, those vermin-types) So no you wan't harvest a full-sized creature from the hive.

As for Sun Berries, you could rework them to be a proper shrub, and then also add those other GROWTHs you wanted to.
wait, can it be not vermin and not affect their characteristics? what about the size token?
theres a few vermin tokens that have particularly useful effects though, [VERMIN_NOTRAP] makes it impossible to self-trap on animal traps, [VERMIN_NOROAM] makes them stay put around the area.
i'll try to check if i can find something that can substitute those, or do you think they're entirely redundant to begin with?

i made a few separate plants that mirrored their counterparts, this at least preserves the original plants while adding exotic "better versions" of them.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 09, 2018, 09:14:20 am »

if I used VERMIN:NONE:DOG:MALE I'd get a "dog" that is vermin (moving dot, not real creature) if I use PET:NONE:DOG:MALE same deal only this is a "tamed" version. There is no way to create a full sized creature without breeding or DFHackery

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 09, 2018, 10:19:12 am »

i'm definitely using the latter, [HIVE_PRODUCT:1:201600:PET:NO_SUBTYPE:BLACK_BEE:ASSASSIN].

the thing thats defining my BLACK_BEE into a vermin is [VERMIN_SOIL_COLONY], so removing it should turn it into a regular creature.
now however, would removing it still allow it to use [VERMIN_NOTRAP] and [VERMIN_NOROAM]? or would removing these two be better?

edit: wait, i think i found a roundabout method in overwriting the vermin class instead.
its by making use of [CREATURE_CLASS] token, anyone know what are valid classnames?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:43:28 am by EpicMadness »

Tubercular Ox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 09, 2018, 10:23:48 am »

What's the preferred/common way to remove (or simulate the removal of) a small number of reactions from an existing workshop?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 09, 2018, 10:26:41 am »

Well if we could mine the milking reaction for information it could be implicitly something like

PET:(LARGE_ROAMING etc.):DOG:MALE:(Something here)

Because [SHEARABLE] and [MILKABLE] creatures have the animal as a requirement as a reagent to summon them there without consuming them (or otherwise as a living container), comparably to slaughtering interactions (which also only calls upon pets)

Of corse there's no solid proof of this unless somoene has some input to share the behind the scenes information of what the actual built in hardcoded reactions can do. Or a line of code explaining the process in a way that is not RAW tangible.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 09, 2018, 10:42:12 am »

@FantasticDorf && @EpicMadness
ummmm......

Code: [Select]
50 VERMIN NONE Live vermin. Material is CREATURE_ID:CASTE.
51 PET NONE Tame vermin. Material is CREATURE_ID:CASTE.

No removing those tags won't make them full sized creatures...

Either breed them as a fullsized creature, or transform a creature into it, or use DFHacks SpawnUnit (or whichever it is called)

As for mining the hardcoded Milking/shearing reaction, it would probably be a hardcoded

scan unit list/animals,
does it have MILKABLE or a SHEARABLE tissue,
is the LAST_MILKED_COUNTER at the right value or the tissue the right length
bring animal to workshop
(if milking) bring bucket to workshop
Put LIQUID_MISC:MILK into bucket or create CORPSEPIECE item from shearable tissue

Slaughtering probably just takes any animal that is flagged for butchering.

EDIT:
@Tubercular Ox

depends on what workshop, you can probably just remove PERMITTED_REACTION from the entity now that reaction_other has a bunch of "was hard coded" reactions there now
other than that, someone else will have to answer if there is another way
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:44:12 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 09, 2018, 10:49:06 am »

uhh wait, i'm confused.
the BLACK_BEE is an entirely different creature spawned via [HIVE_PRODUCT], so technically it shouldn't be directly classified as a vermin.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 09, 2018, 10:55:13 am »

nothing to be confused about, PET and VERMIN are vermin itemtypes. Anything made from/using PET or VERMIN will be vermin, I've already explained this

if I used VERMIN:NONE:DOG:MALE I'd get a "dog" that is vermin (moving dot, not real creature) if I use PET:NONE:DOG:MALE same deal only this is a "tamed" version. There is no way to create a full sized creature without breeding or DFHackery

^ right here, if you didn't know DOG is a vanilla creature that is "not" a vermin type, it's a full-sized creature, but if I made it from PET or VERMIN it would be vermin. Just how that works.

You can only make windows out of gems, green, clear, and crystal glass. But I can make a reaction that makes WINDOW:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:CAT:LEATHER and make a cat leather window. Leather can't be used to make windows but there it is a legit window made from leather.

What I'm getting at is, PET and VERMIN makes vermin items.

Breed, Transform, or hack in fullsized creatures

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 09, 2018, 10:57:45 am »

ah i see, so its the spawn method that makes it default to vermin.

there is another option though, spawn it as an egg, but i'm not sure it'll even hatch.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:00:56 am by EpicMadness »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 120