Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 176370 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #675 on: July 09, 2018, 11:11:01 am »

the EGG would have to be
  • Fertilized (can't do that via reaction, female has to lay egg in a nestbox with a valid path to a MALE)
  • Mother of EGG needs to stay on the nestbox with the EGG for the entire incubation period (until it hatches)

so no, reactions or other means of making EGGs won't let you hatch something from them.

You can go a hacky route of breeder creatures + castes but it's not worth it at the moment unless you know you're ok with the hackiness of it all

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 09, 2018, 11:18:29 am »

why did toady make it so hard to just spawn creatures with codes...?

eggs used to hatch just by leaving it on the ground, i kinda miss those times.

Tubercular Ox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 09, 2018, 11:34:27 am »

You can go a hacky route of breeder creatures + castes but it's not worth it at the moment unless you know you're ok with the hackiness of it all

Tell me more?  I thought about doing something like this once but didn't put any effort in because I thought for sure it couldn't work.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 09, 2018, 11:46:08 am »

why did toady make it so hard to just spawn creatures with codes...?

eggs used to hatch just by leaving it on the ground, i kinda miss those times.

I never recall eggs hatching on the ground, like i specifically recall having to use nest boxes from the very first release with eggs in it. The first release actually had wild egg layers trying to hijack your nest boxes
Also, toady hasnt implemented any ways to legit spawn creatures other than vermin (because theyre considered quasi-items so they can be created/used by reactions.) There arent normal channels through which to do that. Thats why its hard. He literally hasnt done anything intentional to make it possible yet.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 09, 2018, 03:03:13 pm »

I think it might be possible to create a workshop that produces creature corpses as reaction products and a special creature that the player would pasture next to the workshop that can resurrect those creature corpses, so that you can essentially use creatures as reaction products. The player could buy the "activator" creature at embark or from the caravan, since he only really needs one.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #680 on: July 09, 2018, 04:00:54 pm »

Is it possible for a workshop reaction to output a creature corpse, and at the same time a substance cloud that does re-animation?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Tubercular Ox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 09, 2018, 04:07:04 pm »

I think it might be possible to create a workshop that produces creature corpses as reaction products and a special creature that the player would pasture next to the workshop that can resurrect those creature corpses, so that you can essentially use creatures as reaction products. The player could buy the "activator" creature at embark or from the caravan, since he only really needs one.

That's really clever.  You could even have a dummy creature named "egg" that the resurrecting interaction transformed into the target creature by syndrome.  I wonder how much of a framerate hit it would be if every member of the entity had the resurrecting interaction.  Then whoever did the deed in the workshop would automatically hatch the egg.

Is it possible for a workshop reaction to output a creature corpse, and at the same time a substance cloud that does re-animation?

Given that "corpse" is a separate target category from "creature" when designing an interaction, I question whether a contact or inhaled syndrome would affect a corpse.  If so, great!  You can have the reaction produce an item of some material with a boiling and/or melting point low enough that it does so instantly upon creation, to cover the corpse as it is formed.

If not, you could have an instantly boiling substance give the power to resurrect creatures by inhalation.  The workshop worker inhales it as the reaction completes, then uses his newfound power to resurrect the corpse he just made.  Then you could have the power go away in a day or two so the game isn't checking for it for the rest of forever.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:51:47 pm by Tubercular Ox »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 09, 2018, 06:16:48 pm »

Tell me more?  I thought about doing something like this once but didn't put any effort in because I thought for sure it couldn't work.

For a creature you wish to make a breeder, you can have it for any creature, say Goblins, you can make two PET castes that you can trade for, their POP_RATIO should be 1, and the default MALE and FEMALE should have a higher POP_RATIO normally 25000 is high enough for both. You can trade for or embark with the goblin breeder castes, and when they breed they will give birth to fully fledged goblins.

If you get fancy with interactions and syndromes you can make a generic "breeder" creature in which the children lack PET and are INTELLIGENT and the child gits hit with a interaction or syndrome to transform into any other creature you want

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 09, 2018, 06:48:59 pm »

If you get fancy with interactions and syndromes you can make a generic "breeder" creature in which the children lack PET and are INTELLIGENT and the child gits hit with a interaction or syndrome to transform into any other creature you want
this is brilliant, can hive vermins (the regular bees) be "mutated" like that?

e.g. the regular bees naturally emit plagues which can only infect bees, and the transform interaction can only work on a specific caste of bee.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:05:53 pm by EpicMadness »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 09, 2018, 07:51:33 pm »

e.g. the regular bees naturally emit plagues which can only infect bees, and the transform interaction can only work on a specific caste of bee.

You can have you're special dark bees sting could affect the generic creature-caste turning it into anything you want it too. However I'm not sure if VERMIN_BITE works with vermin made from VERMIN due to the issue that the CREATURE:CASTE combo for the "mat:mat_subtype" section. You can give it a try.

I mean if you had bees, have a rare VERMIN making dark bee that is. (farm bees, get dark bee from hive, release dark bee in small room with generic creature, sting)

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 09, 2018, 08:08:21 pm »

You can have you're special dark bees sting could affect the generic creature-caste turning it into anything you want it too. However I'm not sure if VERMIN_BITE works with vermin made from VERMIN due to the issue that the CREATURE:CASTE combo for the "mat:mat_subtype" section. You can give it a try.

I mean if you had bees, have a rare VERMIN making dark bee that is. (farm bees, get dark bee from hive, release dark bee in small room with generic creature, sting)

how about putting this on the BLACK_BEE as an extra caste?

Code: [Select]
[CASTE:MUTANT]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:CLEANING]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Mutate]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:10]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY:TOUCHABLE]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:1]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:A:1]
[CDI:INTERACTION:MUTATION]
[INTERACTION:MUTATION]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE:BLACK_BEE:MUTANT]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:the mutation]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0]
[CE:CREATURE:BLACK_BEE:ASSASSIN]

i tried to modify cat's self_clean then added it to a separate caste within the BLACK_BEE to infect itself with a mutation plague...
so if my hypothesis is correct, i could "harvest" BLACK_BEE:MUTANT from the hive, the (vermin)mutant will then transform itself to a (creature)BLACK_BEE:ASSASSIN.

edit: wait, would this work?

Code: [Select]
[CASTE:MUTANT]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MUTATION]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY:TOUCHABLE]
[INTERACTION:MUTATION]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE:BLACK_BEE:MUTANT]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:the mutation]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0]
[CE:CREATURE:BLACK_BEE:ASSASSIN]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:46:53 pm by EpicMadness »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 09, 2018, 11:48:01 pm »

vermin are not creatures, they are mobile items, so they won't use any self interactions

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 09, 2018, 11:56:24 pm »

vermin are not creatures, they are mobile items, so they won't use any self interactions
oh i see, then the only choice is to have the main bees equipped with vermin_bite that can induce the mutation syndrome, then have a sacrificial creature that'll transform into a black_bee.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 10, 2018, 12:09:28 am »

Exactly, hacky, but eh

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 10, 2018, 12:41:53 am »

true, and its not exactly reliable either, the consistency depends entirely whether the hive will release that caste with the modified vermin_bite.
then theres also the issue with the sacrifice being ever bitten or not, i suppose an enclosed room can increase the chance.

a few question came up:
does [SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:CREATURE:CASTE] restrict the target to only be that one or are other creatures still affected by the syndrome?
any suggestion which specific creature should i make a sacrifice?
is there a way to spawn a corpse using syndrome? or maybe interactions?

my current thoughts on this is that, a normal bee nest would produce a mutated bee.
this mutated bee would "infest" a target and "transform" inside.
bonus points if the target gets it's chest ripped open, anyone notice the spoof?  ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:27:56 am by EpicMadness »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 120