Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 176394 times)

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #735 on: July 20, 2018, 07:22:02 am »

Creating a cavern creature, preferably one per world. Would using the sea serpent's population detail work?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 20, 2018, 03:44:18 pm »

Possibly, yes. Chances are thered be more than one just because there are so many identical subterranean regions, but its already pretty rare to see a cave dragon, which is a good example of a rare cavern creature.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 30, 2018, 02:02:15 pm »

I hate to be one of those guys, but could someone please write up a fortress mode reaction for me and tell me where to paste it? I want to be able to have my dwarves make bone weapons, and the wiki makes it sound like this should be easy, but nothing I try seems to work...

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 30, 2018, 04:46:40 pm »

for bones, in order to select them correctly, the reagent needs to be like this:

[REAGENT:bone:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [USE_BODY_COMPONENT][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL][UNROTTEN]

You could of went through the adventure reactions to find that :p
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #739 on: July 30, 2018, 04:57:11 pm »

I hate to be one of those guys, but could someone please write up a fortress mode reaction for me and tell me where to paste it? I want to be able to have my dwarves make bone weapons, and the wiki makes it sound like this should be easy, but nothing I try seems to work...

for bones, in order to select them correctly, the reagent needs to be like this:

You could of went through the adventure reactions to find that :p

He'd probably want to use [MAX_MULTIPLIER:1] so it will only use 1 bone out of a stack instead of the whole stack.

So something like:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CARVE_BONE_SPEAR]
[NAME:craft bone spear]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE]
[CATEGORY:CRAFT_WEAPONS]
[CATEGORY_NAME:weapons]
[CATEGORY:CRAFT_WEAPONS_BONE]
[CATEGORY_NAME:bone]
[CATEGORY_PARENT:CRAFT_WEAPONS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:bone:NONE]
[PRODUCT_TOKEN:spear]
[SKILL:BONECARVE]
[MAX_MULTIPLIER:1]

then he'd need to add [PERMITTED_REACTION:CARVE_BONE_SPEAR] to the entity he's playing as/with. Now this will need a new world OR if you're using DFHack there is a patch command to load in new reactions and the like into an existing save (I don't know the command, but it's there)

EDIT:

also he can copy that for daggers and clubs/maces or whatever other weapons, but mostly BONE will only be effective against most unarmored things, except for a SPEAR as that weapon type has some pretty good stats.

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 30, 2018, 05:43:30 pm »

Thank you so so much! It worked like a charm! Thank you!

Now to embark in the caverns without any pick axes, he he he...

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 31, 2018, 08:32:07 am »

Is it possible to produce armour suitable for very large humanoid creatures? (Ogres, Trolls, etc.) I'm imagining that you'd have to somehow mod in another armour size larger than Large, since Large is, at current, only human-sized, and I don't imagine that the tendency for creatures to produce armour suitable for their own size would work for creatures outside of the three size classes, is that possible? Or do I have to make up some kind of workaround?
The world is grey, the mountains old,
The forge's fire is ashen-cold;
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls:
The darkness dwells in Durin's halls;
The shadow lies upon his tomb
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 31, 2018, 10:44:12 am »

IIRC it works by default, and large just means, too large for your species. I was playing as a very large animal person, and even the human armor was labeled small

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 31, 2018, 01:56:54 pm »

Armor size is made to the civs size. If one. Caste is ogre sized then ogres and the smaller race can wear it. In fortress mode you can give workshop command to craft the armor for a larger creature

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 04, 2018, 04:40:57 pm »

stupid question

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 06, 2018, 06:51:26 am »

Is there such a thing as a general mod manager for DF? Something like Wrye Bash for TES (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1840)? i.e. Non destructive toggling on and off of mods, attempted merging of the raw files, error detection etc.
From my very limited experience digging around in the raw files to apply patches, fix things etc., it does appear like some kind of patching/merging system should be possible, but I didn't see any other than the bespoke solution in a Mephs launcher.

/edit This http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74828 looks like what I am thinking of. I wonder why this isn't more popular/supported by mod authors given DF seems like a prime candidate for people to want to run multiple mods.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:54:33 am by billw »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 06, 2018, 02:21:19 pm »

So, since SAWR fortress isn't actually maintained, is for an old version, and the creator hasn't actually been online in more than a year, would anyone object to me putting the creatures in that mod into mine?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 06, 2018, 02:33:43 pm »

Is there such a thing as a general mod manager for DF? Something like Wrye Bash for TES (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1840)? i.e. Non destructive toggling on and off of mods, attempted merging of the raw files, error detection etc.
From my very limited experience digging around in the raw files to apply patches, fix things etc., it does appear like some kind of patching/merging system should be possible, but I didn't see any other than the bespoke solution in a Mephs launcher.

/edit This http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74828 looks like what I am thinking of. I wonder why this isn't more popular/supported by mod authors given DF seems like a prime candidate for people to want to run multiple mods.

I think I remember seeing that, and thinking of a way to adapt it's functions with a newer manager. But there is no current one that can "safely" merge/manage all mods. And now modders have gotten into the habit of prefixing objects HTD_ELF, ZM5_DEMON_IMP as an example. The harder bit is materials and tissues some mods may require that vanilla template files be altered for them to function in the way the creator needs it to.

Now these prefixes would avoid 100% of the duplicate ID error, but then you'd run into Orc 1, and Orc 2 if two mods added Orcs. Less of course you wanted to integrate a series of modular mods (basically all of ZM5s mods are a great example) where it won't matter if you toggle them on or off.

I think Mephs launcher is a modded Lazy Newb Pack launcher with raw changes massaged in for Find/Replace functions, it's hacky but super customized.

So, since SAWR fortress isn't actually maintained, is for an old version, and the creator hasn't actually been online in more than a year, would anyone object to me putting the creatures in that mod into mine?

I wouldn't object as long as you keep track of what creatures, and source the creator, and also keep a note that they could be removed if the creator ever objected. If the creator ever comes back.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 06, 2018, 04:26:10 pm »

Probably should have clarified, since looking back at the post this could be misconstrued: I'm not actually taking any of the unique coding, just modding all the creatures he has into mine using my own code, figured I should still ask before doing such a thing

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 07, 2018, 12:12:02 am »

The single largest problem is changes to vanilla raws. These are sometimes necessary for a variety of reasons and detecting them with general algorithms is difficult at best. The worst example is probably reactions--if you add a new reaction, it must be merged into entity_default if you want dwarves to use it. Multiple mods which add new reactions thus cannot be easily mergeable with standard mod installation (i.e. merge the mod folder in).

PyLNP has a mod merger included but it's, uh, not nearly good enough. I've thought about coming up with some sort of bespoke algorithm for mod merging, but it's not something that can keep my attention for long enough to do--it essentially requires keeping a list of every token every object has. This is essentially the same thing as writing an entire raw parser from scratch, primarily due to the complexities of creature modding, syndromes and related object-in-object stuff.

My first thought as to how to do this: discourage modding vanilla creatures entirely, except by way of creature variations. Warn that making in-place mods to vanilla creatures rather than using creature variations to make all changes will lead to unexpected behavior, and don't even bother attempting to merge creature changes. Creatures are seriously that complex--the subtleties of creature-level vs caste level tokens, materials, tissues and the like make it nigh-infeasible to merge multiple mods that change one creature together unless such changes are entirely in the form of adding creature variations.

For the rest, any nested stuff is simple to deal with. PERMITTED_REACTION's placement in the entity does not matter whatsoever; pydwarf adds them by just putting them on the same line as [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] (or whatever they're set to), which works perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:18:38 am by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 120