Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 176577 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #855 on: October 08, 2018, 09:06:21 am »

That makes me wonder, if ice is the only "stone" available, will moody dwarves use it for artifacts, and will those artifacts melt?

Well, artifacts can't be destroyed in vanilla. This is why you see wooden artifacts set on fire and it burns forever. Ice shouldn't be any different so I doubt it'll melt.
If you use an ice boulder to make a wall, statue or other item it will never melt. It only melts while in boulder form or as a natural wall.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 08, 2018, 11:19:52 am »

I dont think dwarves will use ice to make a "stone" artifact though. They dont recognize it as a stone do they?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 08, 2018, 01:54:58 pm »

I dont think dwarves will use ice to make a "stone" artifact though. They dont recognize it as a stone do they?
I have no idea, never seen it happen.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 08, 2018, 07:02:17 pm »

So here's what I'd like to do. I'd like to be able to take gems, and create interactions to have the dwarves turn them into items, like how they do for bone. Like being able to make ruby gauntlets and mugs and the like. I know that there has to be some way for this to happen, because strange moods can make random gem items. The question is, how can you make this a normal interaction that's able to be done?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #859 on: October 08, 2018, 08:50:32 pm »

So here's what I'd like to do. I'd like to be able to take gems, and create interactions to have the dwarves turn them into items, like how they do for bone. Like being able to make ruby gauntlets and mugs and the like. I know that there has to be some way for this to happen, because strange moods can make random gem items. The question is, how can you make this a normal interaction that's able to be done?
I recently made a "jade etc. large semiprecious into amulets" reaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's for example, a rough gem into a mug:
[REACTION:CARVE_GEM_MUG]
[NAME:a mug]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE]
[REAGENT:ruffgem:1:ROUGH:NONE:NONE:NONE] --any rough gem. SMALLGEM would use a cut gem.
[PRODUCT:100:1:GOBLET:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:ruffgem:NONE]
[SKILL:CUTGEM]
see item tokens list for more item precise names: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Item_token

I have no idea, never seen it happen.
Water / steam / ice raws are visible here, extracted from the executable: http://www.dfwk.ru/Hardcoded_materials.txt
Stones have [ITEMS_HARD] [ITEMS_QUERN] which ice lacks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:56:06 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 08, 2018, 09:47:55 pm »

That seems remarkably complicated to do for every single kind of gem. Is there a mod that does that already, or should I build it from the ground up?

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 08, 2018, 10:17:48 pm »

Can syndromes change descriptors like eye and hair color? I'm giving some sandworms a "worm spice" extract and want people's eyes to turn blue for a while if they eat it, along with the other syndrome effects.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #862 on: October 09, 2018, 08:00:31 am »

That seems remarkably complicated to do for every single kind of gem. Is there a mod that does that already, or should I build it from the ground up?
The "ROUGH" or "SMALLGEM" includes all varieties of gemstones, diamonds, rubies, jades etc. The "ruffgem" string is reagent identifier that is internal to the reaction. Many use "A" and "B" as identifiers.
You need one for "rough gem into mug" and "small gem into mug" and "large gem into mug", that's any gem to mug covered.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 08:06:12 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 09, 2018, 12:43:14 pm »

[LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS]

I had an odd thought about this a while back, wondered if anyone had already tried it - is it possible for a creature to lay unusual eggs of a different creature ? And would they hatch ?

like, could you have a chicken occasionally lay a cockatrice egg ? resulting in !!Fun!! when it hatched ?

I suppose an alternate solution, would be the chicken laying an object made from a material that would vaporise, and cause a transformation syndrome, to turn the chicken into the cockatrice. for !!Fun!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 09, 2018, 01:01:18 pm »

LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS can only lay items and you can't specify what creature an egg is from.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 09, 2018, 01:22:33 pm »

LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS can only lay items and you can't specify what creature an egg is from.

Hm, fair enough.

the http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Item_token page kind of suggests it might though, the entry for EGG states "Eggs. Material is CREATURE_ID:CASTE.", which is why I thought it might be possible. Oh well.

vaporising syndrome material it is then.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #866 on: October 09, 2018, 02:41:43 pm »

Can syndromes change descriptors like eye and hair color? I'm giving some sandworms a "worm spice" extract and want people's eyes to turn blue for a while if they eat it, along with the other syndrome effects.

Descriptors I’m pretty sure are static, though I’m not sure, mostly replied so you wouldn’t get buried behind newer questions, as that would suck.

Hm, fair enough.

the http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Item_token page kind of suggests it might though, the entry for EGG states "Eggs. Material is CREATURE_ID:CASTE.", which is why I thought it might be possible. Oh well.

vaporising syndrome material it is then.

Couldn’t you just add a very rare cockatrice caste? Or is that what you’re doing, just that the newly hatched cockatrice chicken transforms itself into something other than a chicken for some kind of display purposes?

I’ve got a question of my own:
How do you make sure creature variation creatures inherit the size differences present in the base creature castes? I’ve got this problem where my hermit crabs(vermin) of different sizes all end up the same after ”turning” giant or into animal people, despite them keeping the same castes. The giant versions use CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC on caste level, and the hermit crab men use GRAVITATE_BODY_SIZE as defined in the c_variation raw, but neither seem to work. It there something really obvious I am missing?

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 10, 2018, 02:19:53 am »

Couldn’t you just add a very rare cockatrice caste? Or is that what you’re doing, just that the newly hatched cockatrice chicken transforms itself into something other than a chicken for some kind of display purposes?

well, something that allows transforming into a different, entirely unrelated, creature has a lot more potential

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 10, 2018, 09:57:50 am »

So, I've been making some custom instruments and got them to show up fine in adventure mode taverns, they can be played and there's music generated for them, but something is bugged in fortress mode, the reaction for assembly takes forever, it seems to never finish even after it's been several times the time needed to build all the components. Since the instruments show up fine, I'm guessing the issue is in the reaction raws, can somebody take a look at them and see if I'm missing anything? I can't for my life guess what's going on.

Spoiler: reaction raw file (click to show/hide)

Please help me out, people, I can't for the life of me find out what's wrong with these reactions.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 10, 2018, 12:27:14 pm »

So, I've been making some custom instruments and got them to show up fine in adventure mode taverns, they can be played and there's music generated for them, but something is bugged in fortress mode, the reaction for assembly takes forever, it seems to never finish even after it's been several times the time needed to build all the components. Since the instruments show up fine, I'm guessing the issue is in the reaction raws, can somebody take a look at them and see if I'm missing anything? I can't for my life guess what's going on.

Spoiler: reaction raw file (click to show/hide)

Please help me out, people, I can't for the life of me find out what's wrong with these reactions.

Dunno if it helps, but I've found musical instruments to be really difficult to assemble in fortress mode, because the workers keep cancelling the job, because they can't find one of the pieces. maybe a stockpile that only has instrument pieces allowed, and no bins allowed, might help to try and narrow the issue down ?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 120