Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 175410 times)

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #945 on: December 09, 2018, 08:59:27 pm »

Testing my mod again and the world I genned has a desert called the Human Desert. The Human Desert (it doesn't actually appear to have any humans living in it, either, just goblins and sand elves).

There's also a Frilly Desert and a Wordy Desert. And a mountain called the Mechanical Tooth.

Is there a way to prevent certain words from being used in region names in Worldgen?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 09, 2018, 09:02:17 pm »

Testing my mod again and the world I genned has a desert called the Human Desert. The Human Desert (it doesn't actually appear to have any humans living in it, either, just goblins and sand elves).

There's also a Frilly Desert and a Wordy Desert. And a mountain called the Mechanical Tooth.

Is there a way to prevent certain words from being used in region names in Worldgen?

I see no reason why you would want that. Those are amazing names.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 09, 2018, 09:17:56 pm »

I see no reason why you would want that. Those are amazing names.

I mean granted that's true, but I also just found a forest called the Forests of Vaanestan that's literally on the opposite side of the map from any Vaanites. Maybe the name was ironic I guess?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 09, 2018, 09:18:38 pm »

How do I safely change an interaction in a running fortress? I've done it before, so I know it's possible, but I can't get it to work. Here's what I've got:
1. Swapped walrus raws for custom creature - works
2. Added cat head bump to river otter - works
3. Exterminated cats
4. Changed head bump interaction to transform dwarves into walrus - works in arena mode, crashes in fortress mode
What am I doing wrong? Is there an easier way to do this?

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 10, 2018, 05:53:24 pm »

How do I safely change an interaction in a running fortress? I've done it before, so I know it's possible, but I can't get it to work. Here's what I've got:
1. Swapped walrus raws for custom creature - works
2. Added cat head bump to river otter - works
3. Exterminated cats
4. Changed head bump interaction to transform dwarves into walrus - works in arena mode, crashes in fortress mode
What am I doing wrong? Is there an easier way to do this?
Are you sure your head bump interaction isn't causing fort mode crashes in general? Try genning a new world with your changes and see if you still get a crash.  I strongly suspect you will, given how buggy and weird transformations can be.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 10, 2018, 08:21:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the interaction. It works in arena mode, so I'm pretty sure it would also work if I genned a new world. However, that defeats the point of this exercise, which is to put this creature in the existing fort.

Hmm, what if I swap out a creature that appears naturally in the world with the custom creature, but I leave all the biome tokens the same? Maybe that will work...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 10, 2018, 10:20:40 pm »

Perhaps post the CDI block as well?
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 10, 2018, 11:16:09 pm »

[spoiler]....
This is the interaction. It works in arena mode, so I'm pretty sure it would also work if I genned a new world.
Not necessarily.  Fort mode has a bunch of extra stuff going on that arena mode doesn't.  I don't know what your custom creature is, but I can think of a couple possible examples of things that might break fort mode but not affect arena mode.  Like say, hypothetically speaking, transforming an intelligent creature that is a citizen of the player's fort into an unintelligent creature that is still a citizen of the fort (a relation normally restricted to intelligent creatures) might break fort mode and create a crash.  It might not.  Hence the need for testing.
However, that defeats the point of this exercise, which is to put this creature in the existing fort.
The whole point of genning a new world is to identify or eliminate sources of the crash.  If your interaction works in a newly genned world, you know the interaction itself is fine.  If it doesn't and you are still getting crashes, you know the problem has nothing to do with patching modded RAWs into an existing save.  My next suggestion if a new world gen works would be to revert your walrus RAWs to vanilla and try the interaction again.  If that crashes, then adding the interaction to an existing save is doing it.  If it doesn't, then it is probable that something about your modded creature that differs from the walrus it is replacing is to blame.
Perhaps post the CDI block as well?
While you are at it, post the creature too. 

Also, does the crash happen when the world loads, or when the interaction triggers?
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 11, 2018, 04:55:10 pm »

The crash happens on unpause. The single otter in the fort is not next to any unit at this time.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 15, 2018, 09:53:47 pm »

for adventure mode, would it be possible to create reactions allowing you to make weapons and armor out of divine material/bars?

I would assume it would be possible since in DFhack they show up as DIVINE_1 thru DIVINE_19.. or 20 idr lol, but you would
think you could just do multiple duplicate reactions for each divine metal as such:
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:DIVINE_1]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:DIVINE_2]
ect...

but then theres the fact that upon world generation, not all divine metals are in the world, and theres only roughly 10 out of 20..

so the question leads me to this... if I were to make a new file for making divine gear in adventure mode... would the game
crash in anyway for the reactions where the divine metal doesn't exist? if the reactions show up for Frosty Metal, but it doesn't exsist in a current would, it would just show "player doesn't have the item needed" instead of crashing?
It's INORGANIC:DIVINE_1 through INORGANIC:DIVINE_20, and all of them exist. It's just that the even numbers are divine cloth.

I first tried METAL but realized it didn't work, but its the same issue with INORGANIC...
Example:
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction MAKE_DIVINE_1_BREASTPLATE_ADV
Unrecognized Inorganic Token: DIVINE_1
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 16, 2018, 02:33:01 am »

METAL and INORGANIC are identical, and i've run into this, so i think the problem's just that they're not technically in the raws.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 16, 2018, 12:25:09 pm »

Divine materials aren't loaded until after the reactions are, so they'll throw errors like that. I tried the same thing a long time ago.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 16, 2018, 04:19:13 pm »

So let's say you have a reaction that transforms a unit and also fucks them up/inflicts some horrific syndrome. Like, say, a reaction intended to gouge a unit's eyes out, cut off their genitals (if male), and transform them into a slave.

I imagine the transformation would heal the wounds (probably caused by necrosis) so you'd want the inflictions to happen after transformation. Does the order in which syndromes/syndrome effects are posted in an interaction/inorganic material affect the order in which they're actually applied?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 16, 2018, 07:16:02 pm »

So let's say you have a reaction that transforms a unit and also fucks them up/inflicts some horrific syndrome. Like, say, a reaction intended to gouge a unit's eyes out, cut off their genitals (if male), and transform them into a slave.

I imagine the transformation would heal the wounds (probably caused by necrosis) so you'd want the inflictions to happen after transformation. Does the order in which syndromes/syndrome effects are posted in an interaction/inorganic material affect the order in which they're actually applied?

You could just set the START times for the other effects to be 1 tick after transformation.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 16, 2018, 08:23:05 pm »

You could just set the START times for the other effects to be 1 tick after transformation.

That's a good idea. Never even occurred to me for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 120