Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 176481 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #960 on: December 17, 2018, 02:08:10 am »

On the other hand, yes, the order does seem to matter; the effects get applied in the order theyre written in the raws, so if youve got two transformations happening at the same time only the first will ever take effect.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 17, 2018, 03:07:42 am »

is it possible to give an animal man a seprate creature_class from a giant/normal version, say... [CREATURE_CLASS:ANIMALMAN] and then use the [ANIMAL_NEVER] tags to render animal men unable to be obtained?

Replying to a old question on page 1 im looking at by chance. You can embed it into c_varation animal people  under convert tag, which [ANIMAL_FORBIDDEN_CLASS:ANIMAL_PERSON] and [ANIMAL] tokens in general is what i use to filter out illegal animals and modify their use for elves so that you can get variations like using all mammals, reptiles only for siege animals and completely writing off using insects and 'animal-men' added afterwards because that's often the consquence of [USE_ANY_PET_CLASS] simply throwing all creatures in a 7 radius around a elf site indiscriminately and makes for more cohesive elf sieges.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Q: Im currently having a spot of bother trying to use WOOD_TEMPLATE material and converting it into leather and parchment item materials , after numerous tries i've only managed to really handle turning it into PLANT_STRUCTURAL leather sheets by doing the enclosed code below on a few attempts with some variations since the base material descriptor of WOOD doesn't seem to work.
Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:WOOD_BARK_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
I think i dont need to touch the reactions (enclosed below), but im just hitting this stumbling block over and over of trying to use MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT in the way i want, because i want to make faux leather out of wood to push into the leatherworker's in order to make slightly bulky "tree-bark" clothes in order to avoid using animal materials for important objects like quivers, backpacks and waterskins for my fortress of playable elves.

I did think about compromising and making these objects seperately, but i decided not to on account of a lot of work and once this reaction is up an running correctly it'd allow me to use the workshop systems correctly.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 03:13:09 am by FantasticDorf »

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 17, 2018, 03:56:16 pm »

Check that, in whichever color mod that refers to, youve selected the correct body part and material, and that the body part and material themselves is implemented correctly. If theres a typo or the body part or any of its materials or tissues didnt initialize properly, then the game cant apply color to it correctly either.

Thanks! One tiny typo messed the raws up.

Next question: What factors increase the likelihood of scholars writing scrolls/books? Personality traits? Writing skill? Entity stats?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #963 on: December 18, 2018, 11:57:51 am »

Check that, in whichever color mod that refers to, youve selected the correct body part and material, and that the body part and material themselves is implemented correctly. If theres a typo or the body part or any of its materials or tissues didnt initialize properly, then the game cant apply color to it correctly either.

Next question: What factors increase the likelihood of scholars writing scrolls/books? Personality traits? Writing skill? Entity stats?
I'm not sure, but I think a civ valuing knowledge would produce more scholars - I'd imagine more curious personalities would also result in more scholars/writers. Tbh I think its a question only Toady would be able to answer.

Is it possible to make good/evil biome plants and trees consistently always appear in the biome they're assigned to? Kinda annoyed with how they don't always seem to appear even if FREQUENCY is set to 100.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 18, 2018, 01:35:56 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think a civ valuing knowledge would produce more scholars - I'd imagine more curious personalities would also result in more scholars/writers. Tbh I think its a question only Toady would be able to answer.

Is it possible to make good/evil biome plants and trees consistently always appear in the biome they're assigned to? Kinda annoyed with how they don't always seem to appear even if FREQUENCY is set to 100.

Knowledge values play a large part, scholars that are disinterested in knowledge do so at a snails pace or waste time in libraries, so account this as the most important statistics in the dwarf's personality below the cultural details (bright white & blue) even in non-literary societies, there will be 1/50 goblins with a interest to do it if the role is availible and author multiple books, goblin doctors and historians for instance by adding the tags.

Yes, the plants must have some form of dropped growth or seed though for basic renewability, they should always spawn where the climate controls put them, [WET] applying also for location near streams but its competitive for space, so you should probably clear the map out and let things regrow in fortress mode.

I fixed glumprong renewability by making them drop nuts (roleplaying for the knuckle worms to eat) which made them renew and remain consistant in evil biomes and also allowed access to glumprong wood in embark with relevant [USE_EVIL_WOOD] from experience of playing a goblin civ located nearby.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #965 on: December 18, 2018, 03:35:05 pm »

Not what I'm looking for - I have both [WET] and [DRY] on all the good/evil plant types I have, but they don't seem to be consistently appearing in every biome.

What I mean is, in one world I generate, for example, a good hill biome looks like this, which is more like what I intend, since all of the plant and grass types that are unique to it are present and crowd out the non-good grasses. However in another world it looks more like this - some of the trees are there but the plants and grass types arent, so its mostly just a normal biome with a few odd-coloured trees. The same thing happens in vanilla, where, lets say, one evil biome has eyeballs instead of normal grass, and another just has normal grass and maybe a few glumprongs. So what I'm wondering is how I could get it so the unique plants, grasses and trees are always there, since even with FREQUENCY set to 100 they do not consistently appear in their appropriate biome type.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 18, 2018, 04:12:54 pm »

It may be set region to region for the maximum amount of plants that can actually co-habit from the looks of your examples, ensuring is the best that they can ensure so you should probably use more less than 100 values, because there may just not be space to support 4 plants with 100 each per region. Not much more that you can do with modding besides.

Start setting lower frequencies for your rarer plants and woods, like high value material ones and this should distribute it better, also setting large cluster numbers so that if you should find some they aren't isolated.

[WET] & [DRY] conflicting with each other may also be pushing the problem, [WET] plants are clearer to distinguish, such as date palms in the desert in which there are streams in quantities.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 18, 2018, 04:44:11 pm »

Wet and dry dont seem to conflict with each other though. The limit to the number of species present is probably the key, the rng just has some biomes choosing more mundane plants than fantastical ones.

If you make the mundane plants lower frequency, and make the special flora high frequency, then in good biomes it should be more likely to select the special good flora. Youd have to modify the vanilla plant files, though, and i dont know if your mod is supposed to be fully independent or not...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 05:07:24 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 20, 2018, 10:37:24 pm »

Alright, I'll work on that next and return with results. While I'm at it...

What do I have to do to make a craftable weapon trap that doesn't break with use? Do I alter the material values, or the striking velocity of the trap?

The object in question was a wooden pole that is easy to dodge... right into a 10-z pit. However, if it strikes an armored foe, it slowly breaks apart. In a siege from deathlurks (heavily armored blood knights), this is a problem.

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
  • Schlagen Sie auf die Erde!
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 31, 2018, 02:25:05 am »

I'm not so much making a mod as a tool for people who want to run DF-inspired tabletop games. In my spare time, I'm building a DF themed NPC generation website. There are many things I want to do, but the first step is to simply get a random dwarf name.

I've made a widget to pull out three random words and form a name with them (the first name always being a noun). Some names look just fine, but I'm also getting a bunch of names I've never seen before. Names like:
-  Kitig "Breadgulf" Imastod
-  Bakat "Dwellfluke" Kokebomet
-  Nunur "Frillditch" Thidasminran
-  Lased "Quiescentempire" Esarthalal
-  Otthat "Bridgemost" Sazirtel
-  Ustir "Entrailsfight" Arngishbardum
-  Iltang "Magickiller" Arothvagush (I love this name)
-  Gulgun "Whiskyquandary" Atilzukthist
Almost every name is like this. I can't say that they're bad names; some of them are awesome. But they're not the familiar names I've come to expect. Every once in a while, I get a "Lokum", "Sarvesh", or "Tekkud" like you would expect, but almost every name is a strange one that I've never seen a dwarf actually take. I can confirm that all of the first names ARE nouns, but for some reason, they don't show up as the given name of ANY dwarf in a multi-thousand dwarf world.

I know I'm seeing this because I've allowed too many words to be accepted as given names, but I'm not sure how Toady decides which words are acceptable for first names. Any ideas?

Click here for code snippets

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 31, 2018, 04:14:36 am »

Name use is defined in the entity files. Dwarves have this:
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:ARTIFICE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:EARTH]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:DOMESTIC]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:SUBORDINATE]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:EVIL]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:FLOWERY]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:NEGATIVE]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:UGLY]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:NEGATOR]
Which means that they like their names to be to do with EARTH and ARTIFICE, and refuse to use names associated with EVIL, FLOWERY etc. symbols. These symbolic relationships are defined in language_SYM.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 31, 2018, 02:46:23 pm »

Yeah, your script will need to be able to cross-reference those same symbols in order to get the expected outcomes.
I make Spellcrafts!

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
  • Schlagen Sie auf die Erde!
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 31, 2018, 08:44:39 pm »

Oh, I see. There is a list of valid names. That is exactly the thing I was looking for. Thank you.

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 13, 2019, 04:11:26 pm »

Is it possible to spawn creatures from workshop reactions? I was thinking a 1% chance of spawning an 'deep horror'(modded cavern creature), to a workshop named 'warp portal' which consumes 20 bars of fuel for X units of random non-economic stone.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 13, 2019, 04:47:27 pm »

Is it possible to spawn creatures from workshop reactions? I was thinking a 1% chance of spawning an 'deep horror'(modded cavern creature), to a workshop named 'warp portal' which consumes 20 bars of fuel for X units of random non-economic stone.

No. Not currently anyway (until Toady adds more stuff into the game), i had a similar question/hope when i started doing my own modding but with the obvious problems of (there isn't a creature 'Item' to actually reference outside of vermin reagents) it causing crashing when you experimented with it.

You can feasibly link a script to spawn a creature with DFhack but that's widely outside the scope of [RAW] modding besides defining what the creature is and does.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 120