Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 174346 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 09:58:23 pm »

So how stable is the new version?

Decently so. There may be crashes, but not enough to render it unplayable (just be careful around sites in Adventure Mode.)

More importantly, how good is it?
I'm certainly pleased. It's not as visibly transformative as 42.01, but the ability to raid other sites is a definite improvement for Fortress Mode.
On the modding front, the ability to give specific animals (or classes thereof) to specific types of entities is a godsend.
Have any serious bugs been found yet?
Naturally. The most conspicuous one is whatever the heck has broken identities, but even that is far from a game-breaker.

Would it be worth it to start working on converting what I have now to 0.44, or should I wait a few more updates for the kinks to be removed?
I'd say yes, get started now. I don't imagine anything changing so much that it would render your work obsolete.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 10:06:09 am »

Its worth noting that unless i configured my own RAWS incorrectly [ALWAYS_PET] etc doesn't give the animal pet, they just enable or disable it
's functions so modding input is still needed to add tokens.

For instance you can give any number or selection of animals a [PET_EXOTIC] or [PET] tag like evil glacier ice wolves, then filter out how the civilisation uses them on a individual & collective basis for that class/token. Make a custom class of 'evil' and a restricted [ANIMAL] for races not intending to use it and assigned civs will use those animals reliably & be allowed to tame them in worldgen events due to [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS]

Even if the races settle in similar/general areas like the first layer of the underground.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 10:07:46 am by FantasticDorf »

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 11:14:32 am »

My modded race seems to have a very hard time carrying armor. When equipped in a full suit of iron armor, their speed drops to 0.533. I had this same problem in previous versions (although it was a lot worse), but I thought I'd fixed it. It seems to have returned now, or I never actually fixed it and just thought I did.

Anyway, my question is: does anyone know what tag(s) influence a creature's speed loss when carrying weight? Currently, their physical and mental attributes are the same as humans (ie no tags for attributes). They are also the same size.

Edit: I forgot about the armor user skill. If you set their armor user skill to competent, their speed becomes normal again. However, if you give humans a full suit of iron armor and no skill in armor user, their speed is 0.645, rather than my race's 0.533. Is there something else I forgot about?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:17:26 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 01:59:41 pm »

Anyone got info on the new pet tags?

I recall that we were supposed to be able to designate unique pets for an entity. I am excited about that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 06:04:22 pm »

Anyone got info on the new pet tags?

I recall that we were supposed to be able to designate unique pets for an entity. I am excited about that.

file changes.txt contains an explanation of how they work.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 06:50:35 pm »

O geez I never knew that was a thing. Not afraid to laugh at myself, I'm sure it's been there the whole time :3
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 11:17:04 pm »

Got a modding question (not related to anything new in 0.44 though). How do I make a creature produce colored wool? I tried changing their hair template to a custom colored hair template, but their yarn and cloth were still described as gray in-game. The errorlog made no mention of the creature or the template.. Is yarn color hard-coded or am I missing something?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 11:43:58 pm »

when viewing the creature or after you shear it?

You will need to modify the material color state on the wool material(s) to be what you want.

But in the creature for the V-Z view you'd have to modify the TLCM for HAIR

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 12:03:16 am »

when viewing the creature or after you shear it?

You will need to modify the material color state on the wool material(s) to be what you want.

But in the creature for the V-Z view you'd have to modify the TLCM for HAIR

This is after shearing. I modified both the color modifier and the hair template the creature uses ([USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HAIR_CYAN], a template with [STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:CYAN]). The color modifier works fine, the problem is the hair that's sheared off is gray. Is there a separate material template for wool? I didn't find it in the material_template file.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 12:08:59 am »

oh as an item? yeah Hair and Hoof and a few others show as Grey refuse

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 12:09:48 am »

oh as an item? yeah Hair and Hoof and a few others show as Grey refuse

So it's not possible to change (barring perhaps custom reactions)? That's too bad.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 12:16:27 am »

turn it into yarn or cloth

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 12:17:34 am »

Got a modding question (not related to anything new in 0.44 though). How do I make a creature produce colored wool? I tried changing their hair template to a custom colored hair template, but their yarn and cloth were still described as gray in-game. The errorlog made no mention of the creature or the template.. Is yarn color hard-coded or am I missing something?

Try adding [DISPLAY_COLOR:3:0:1] to the template.

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:02 am »

I tried changing the display color, but the yarn and cloth are still gray.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 12:55:52 am »

Arena fuckery let me change basic butcher-product hair from grey to purple just by changing the material template's STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID tag just fine. Could your special template be getting itself overruled on the creature level?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 120