Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 174419 times)

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Eric Blank
Your idea for Orc-breeding worked, but I think there might be a better way:

I used Legendsbrowser to look at animal people, and they aren't shown as having family trees or mothers or fathers. How is this? I wish to make my Orcs breed in the same way.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:32:09 am by Mim »
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

They're a completely wild population becoming either a local pop or a hero, usually first generation. So their mothers and fathers were "wild" and had no names etc. That's not going to be possible in fort mode besides the parents being both "animals" because otherwise both the parents and children are tracked as historical figures (every fort member is), and the game keeps track of historical figures ancestry info, there's no way to turn that off.

I can't think of any other bug-free, useable methods to pop out kids... Maybe if you had another species that's a pet, produces eggs, and while you can embark/trade for their breeding caste 99% of their children are intelligent. You could then convert them into orcs with an interaction or syndrome.

It's probably buggy, because they won't really be orcs as their default species is that pet, but it should function to let you spit out at least 50 more kids (pet pop limit) if they give live birth or an infinite number if they're egg layers, you can then control them through micromanaging the nest boxes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:30:15 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They're a completely wild population becoming either a local pop or a hero, usually first generation. So their mothers and fathers were "wild" and had no names etc. That's not going to be possible in fort mode besides the parents being both "animals" because otherwise both the parents and children are tracked as historical figures (every fort member is), and the game keeps track of historical figures ancestry info, there's no way to turn that off.
Huh; nevermind. I'll mess around some more.

EDIT:
Why is it that only Dwarves have nails in the creature_standard.txt?

Here we handle nail length.

*** need a new style to keep these short and need to make the entity def say to keep them short
      SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:NAIL]
       PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:NAIL]
         TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:100:100:100:100:100:100:100]
            APP_MOD_RATE:1:DAILY:0:1000:0:0:NO_END]
            APP_MOD_NOUN:nails:PLURAL]

Other races don't have this.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:05:04 pm by Mim »
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

they don't have it, because there is no opening '['s so those are pretty much commented out.

So really it was something Toady was going to do, then figured "well crap I can't set it so civ creatures would try to be civil and clip their nails. So I'll comment this out till then

So really why other creatures/races don't have this, is because it's something Toady isn't ready to roll out yet.

PS that also doesn't mean they DON'T have nails.

Next we use body detail plans (which have their own raw file) to streamline the addition of some of the common materials, tissues and their relationships with each other.

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HEAD_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]

Eyebrows and eyelashes are manually added here.

[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:EYEBROW:EYEBROW_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:EYEBROW:ABOVE:BY_CATEGORY:EYE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:EYELASH:EYELASH_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:EYELID:EYELASH:FRONT]

And nails.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:NAIL:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NAIL:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:NAIL:FRONT]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:NAIL:FRONT]

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So odd question, has anyone modded it to be possible to deep-fry things with tallow? I was reading the article bc I was reading the food/kitchen article, and then wikipedia, and then just wondered "huh, what if you could deep-fry your ingredients to increase their value"

I'm not sure if it'd take the form of a reaction, and whether tallow alone or in conjunction with flour, would work or not. But at the same time it's worth asking

EDIT: Separately is there a better way to install/change tilesets without deleting changes to my raws? Asking because I am modding my game and raw files, but I am also thinking of swapping tilesets out. I'm assuming if I just back-up the raws and then swap them in, it'll mess with the new graphics?
Topic I found, but it's old
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 06:58:09 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

I mean you could make a reaction, call it deep-fry, and make it require tallow + flour, sure.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

I'd probably add just a new material, probably doesn't need to be something that is made physically, just there for IMPROVEMENT to food, then have a reaction at the kitchen take flour, and eggs then it basically puts the improvement on the food.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

EDIT: Separately is there a better way to install/change tilesets without deleting changes to my raws?
Asking because I am modding my game and raw files, but I am also thinking of swapping tilesets out. I'm assuming if I just back-up the raws and then swap them in, it'll mess with the new graphics?

I'd use WinMerge or some other source code comparison tool, http://winmerge.org/?lang=en
and copy the changed lines from your modded raws folder to gfx-modded-folder, or the other way around.
Probably the gfx tiles one commands stone, plant, gem, fish and insect and tool tiles to use a different tile than what vanilla uses.
(source: me maintaining ascii tiles, Ironhand tiles, Phoebus tiles versions in parallel)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

I'd probably add just a new material, probably doesn't need to be something that is made physically, just there for IMPROVEMENT to food, then have a reaction at the kitchen take flour, and eggs then it basically puts the improvement on the food.

Yeah that makes more sense, actually.

Disallow tallow from being a food in and of itself and you have a unique use for tallow as a food improvement. Heck you could create a cooking system with that. Tallow/oil/sauce is required for things like frying or sauteing or deep frying etc.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd use WinMerge or some other source code comparison tool, http://winmerge.org/?lang=en
and copy the changed lines from your modded raws folder to gfx-modded-folder, or the other way around.
Probably the gfx tiles one commands stone, plant, gem, fish and insect and tool tiles to use a different tile than what vanilla uses.
(source: me maintaining ascii tiles, Ironhand tiles, Phoebus tiles versions in parallel)

ty!
What do you mean by gfx-modded-folder? I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the rest of it, but I have a vague idea

Disallow tallow from being a food in and of itself and you have a unique use for tallow as a food improvement. Heck you could create a cooking system with that. Tallow/oil/sauce is required for things like frying or sauteing or deep frying etc.

The only issue is you couldn't deep-fry a block of tallow (though I assume it would be an issue regardless, but deep-frying butter is possible)
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

You can make a butter product of milk + tallow, and then deep fry butter.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ack, sorry. I was trying to say that deep-frying sticks of butter irl is possible, so theoretically the same might work for tallow, in a game.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

What do you mean by gfx-modded-folder? I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the rest of it, but I have a vague idea
You're trying to merge two folders of raws: one with your own changes, and one with the graphics tileset's tile commands.
If you just copy-paste overwrite, many changes are deleted by overwriting.
A code merging tool lets you find every change between the two raws folders.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

leoniswulf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Is it possible to limit labors a creature can perform in the raws? Such as creating a caste that can only craft for example.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:53:40 am by leoniswulf »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

You can reduce their skill learning rate associated with the labor so they'll never become good at it, but not really, no.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 120