Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: {0.4} The Wee Folk Mod! (44.xx)  (Read 36687 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: The Wee Folk Mod! (44.02)
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 06:42:42 pm »

I was just spit balling ideas because I didn't have time to do an actual investigation. Now that I have I still don't know what we should do with them as a creature, but I will share the important parts to see what people think we should do. I'm also going off the original ancient Swedish beliefs because they are way cooler than the modern ones that make them out to basically be gnomes. So, it's said that they represent ancestors and are no more than 35 inches tall. They can turn themselves invisible and have a venomous bite. It is described that those who are bitten wither away. They live with the family and act as guardians who possess great strength, but freak out if anyone strays from tradition or acts poorly. This could range from a light prank to the killing and maiming of livestock, even people in some cases. It is also said that they can turn people into Tomtenisse to teach them lessons. This is from Wikipedia if anyone wants to contest these claims. With this I'm not quite sure what to do with them or if we should give them all these abilities that they're supposedly supposed to have. I would say that they should be a sentient pet who can only do dumb labor (hauling, cleaning, etc.) but are very fast and very vulnerable to fits of rage. I don't know what to do with their association to the winter solstice, but maybe we could just make them native to freezing biomes or something.

I have just found that they are often accompanied by a Yule Goat, and the modern versions of them act more like a cross between Santa Claus and a gnome.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:51:09 pm by MottledPetrel »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 11:47:42 pm »

I was thinking of them as another civilized race that would mix stuff from the old and new depictions of the Tomte/Nisse/Tomtenisse, along with stuff not usually attributed to the creature.

I know for certain that one of the traits of this race would be the venomous bite.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 06:26:12 am »

A mix of the old and the new should work. That would probably lead to them being a civ that comes and trades during the winter because of their modern depiction as basically a replacement Santa, but they should also be very angry and likely to start wars. Apparently the also adore horses and bring their presents on a yule goat. So maybe we could also make a yule goat that they always have access to? The venomous bite caught me by surprise when I found it, but it would definitely help with balancing out their tiny size, as well as making them really fast and strong for their size. They've also got their iconic conical red hats that would definitely add a nice flavor touch to them.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 12:42:04 pm »

A mix of the old and the new should work. That would probably lead to them being a civ that comes and trades during the winter because of their modern depiction as basically a replacement Santa, but they should also be very angry and likely to start wars. Apparently the also adore horses and bring their presents on a yule goat. So maybe we could also make a yule goat that they always have access to? The venomous bite caught me by surprise when I found it, but it would definitely help with balancing out their tiny size, as well as making them really fast and strong for their size. They've also got their iconic conical red hats that would definitely add a nice flavor touch to them.

I like the plan.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 06:57:23 pm »

Hmm... What weapons should we give the Tomtenisse? After all, they can't just bite through armor in a fight.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 07:19:06 pm »

Hmmm... I don't know, I have seen no mention of them having anything even resembling weapons. I would think the best we could do to stay with the lore is take their tendencies to help with farms and give them weaponized versions of farm weapons. Maybe something like a Tomtenisse magic hoe, and have it be pretty big for their size, but because of how strong they are they can still wield it effectively.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 12:49:39 pm »

Seems the poll has come to a tie.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 04:54:01 pm »

Next vote takes it all?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 04:58:52 pm »

Yep.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 02:47:54 pm »

The Tomtenisse win the poll!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:06 am »

Hmmm... What effects should the venom of the Tomtenisse have exactly? Withering away isn't an effect syndromes can do...

Aurum System

• Bay Watcher
  • (Gai, and others) (They/Them collectively)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 12:15:25 pm »

Necrosis and bleeding would probably do fine.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 07:39:50 pm »

I'm gonna release the Tomtenisse update soon. I've tried working with the new animal tokens with my Goblinoids mod, and I'm not sure if stuff is working right. So, the Tomtenisse may not get their Yule Goats.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 05:40:52 am »

Hey, what about Redcaps?  They could be an uber-hostile, prone to rage variant of wee folk with violent and hateful personalities that use iron weapons and boots.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 07:04:14 am »

Hey, what about Redcaps?  They could be an uber-hostile, prone to rage variant of wee folk with violent and hateful personalities that use iron weapons and boots.

Hmm... But how would I make it so they use only iron?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7