Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: {0.4} The Wee Folk Mod! (44.xx)  (Read 36577 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wee Folk Mod! (44.05)
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2018, 05:22:09 pm »

Sure.

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2018, 05:42:28 pm »

GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2018, 10:31:33 pm »

I found something.

Quote from: Wikipedia on the Miskito People of Central America
Some stories include myths of Duhindu, creatures similar to gnomes that sometimes kidnap children.

So... Maybe these guys could be the next Wee Folk?

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2018, 11:27:14 am »

It's always good to have more child kidnappers. Do they have any other distinguishing features other than just child stealing gnomes?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2018, 11:28:20 am »

Not that I could find, but we could add some.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Wee Folk Mod! (44.xx)
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2018, 11:41:58 am »

Heya, I feel like working on this mod right now... And I need ideas for the next two types of Wee Folk, the Duhindu and the Boggarts.

You guys got any suggestions?

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2018, 04:49:11 pm »

Boggarts could be similar in many ways to Halflings in that they rarely construct more than one settlement, and are fiercely settled. The differences between them could be more cultural than biological: Boggarts make sour milk, while Hobbits make cheese.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2018, 04:51:49 pm »

Sour milk, huh? How would I mod that in?

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2018, 05:01:25 pm »

I reckon Boggart-made sour milk would be alcoholic. Maybe with a brewing reaction that turns milk into alcohol.

EDIT: Some ideas for Wee Folk.

Gully Dwarves, inspired by the Gully Dwarves from the Dragonlance setting from Dungeons and Dragons.

Despite their name, their stature and their beards, Gully Dwarves are not 'true' Dwarves. They're said to be a cross between Gnomes and Dwarves, or Gnomes and Humans. Whatever the case, Gully Dwarves are far separated from the fortress dwelling, metal smelting, beer drinking Dwarves we know. Gully Dwarves can be summarized in a single word: poverty. Gully Dwarves live in tribal communities situated within ruins, swamps and caves. They wear disheveled, ancient clothing passed down generation from generation. Gully Dwarves value tradition, merriment, hard work, family and peace above all else. They despise law and decorum. They will gladly eat sapient creatures, make trophies of all creatures, and steal from one another. However, they despise murder, torture, lying and oath-breaking. Only the smartest of Gully Dwarves can count higher than one, and those who can do so are regarded as wizards in Gully Dwarf culture. Gully Dwarves are known for sending thieves to fortresses to steal, much like Kobolds. Gully Dwarves have no gods, and instead worship their ancestors. Gully Dwarves use wooden clubs and thrown rocks as weapons. Despite their poverty, stupidity, lack of metal and their criminal proclivities, Gully Dwarves manage to survive due to their high fertility and their relatively short childhood. Gully wives are able to produce litters of four to eight children, children who mature at the age of eight.

Floresiensans, inspired partly by homo floresiensis.

Floresiensans are violent, Dwarf-height tribal people who live in tropical locations. They value martial prowess, family, tradition, cooperation, and nature. They despise peace above all. They allow all things, from murder to cannibalism. Floresiensans use wooden, stone and bone javelins, axes, spears and clubs as their weapons. They are known for having domestic orangutans, chimpanzees, gibbons and other primates. In addition, they breed a special species of primate. Arborpithecii are tame, semi-intelligent apes which the Floresiensans use as work and war animals. An adult arborpithecus stands at the same height as a Dwarven child, but possesses the strength of an ox.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:32:57 pm by Melchizedek »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2018, 06:44:30 pm »

Two things come to mind after reading that:

1. Wow, gully dwarves sound REALLY conflicted in their values
2. Floresiensans sound more like plant people than what I can only assume to be advanced primate people

Actually, now that I say that could we make up our own wee folk made up of plant people? Maybe some jolly, plain dwelling flower humanoids with different castes that are based off of different small flowers? They'd be the new race that constantly sends you bards and dancers because they physically can't handle any real violence.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2018, 06:47:17 pm »

Hmm... How would these flower people defend themselves then?

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2018, 06:56:57 pm »

Gully Dwarves are pretty conflicted in the source material. A good way to describe them is as fantasy hobos. Their names will never be remembered, their lives are short, and what great works they do will never be noticed because they're not one of the more noble races.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2018, 07:03:29 pm »

I would imagine the flower people would have toxic pollen that disperses itself when they're spooked or attacked, or some other passive plant defense like poisonous sap. For weapons I would imagine they have grown wooden sticks and shields, as they probably wouldn't put the effort into learning to metalcraft or develop any real weapons. Despite having roots for feet, I would imagine they should be pretty fast so they can pick up all their stuff and flee before any lethal combat breaks out as their pollen confuses the enemies.

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2018, 11:57:51 pm »

Some things to differentiate Redcaps and Dwarves.
1. Redcaps have four castes. Browncap, Bluecap, Greencap and Redcap. Browncap have innate novice skill with axes, fighting and woodcutting. Bluecaps have innate adequate mining skill due to "being lead" by the aforementioned blue caps. Greencaps have innate competent plant gathering skill and can release a cloud of nausea-causing gas. Redcaps have no innate skill.
2. Redcaps, being tower-builders, can produce a higher amount of stone blocks. The Stonecutter workshop takes one rock and makes 6 blocks.
3. There is only one noble, the foreman. The foreman serves the purpose of manager, expedition leader and broker. He requires meager quarters and a meager office.
4. Redcaps can produce cheap wooden weapons at a Lathe, allowing for quick but poor militias.
5. No strange moods, meaning Redcaps will have to loot for artifacts.
6. Redcaps are predisposed to anger and against depression, anxiety and stress.
7. If possible: Redcaps will have good thoughts if they get caught in the rain or see a non-Redcap die/dead.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2018, 10:19:14 am »

I don't think you can make a reaction specific to a caste, only to an entity. I don't know about the rain or seeing things die, but I think the hard code is against that. Also, how would you determine which caste a redcap is if they are only distinguished by the color of their cap? They aren't born with caps, so would it just be their color preference? Also, as far as I know lathe's are primarily for metal cutting, and seem a bit too advanced for redcaps, try carver's den or something similarly shoddily sounding. Also, are we planning on making the flower people a wee folk? Because if not I might just make them for myself.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7