Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: {0.4} The Wee Folk Mod! (44.xx)  (Read 36557 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wee Folk Mod! (44.xx)
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2018, 11:45:38 am »

Flower folk, I'm considering

Also, could use more ideas for Boggarts

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2018, 11:58:02 am »

Initial research shows that boggarts are spirits from english folklore, who eventually evolved into the bogeymen we know today. I could do some more research if you want because apparently Harry Potter did something with boggarts and that spurred people to catalogue more of the folklore.

I actually went a little ahead before posting this, seems like boggarts can either be minor evil spirits who steal bed sheets and scare farm animals or major evil spirits who live in swamps and steal children.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2018, 12:01:25 pm »

I'd prefer something more akin to the english folklore and less of the Harry Potter kind.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2018, 12:07:46 pm »

It all really depends which region of England you look at. It could go from, and I do quote, "a squat hairy man, strong as a six year old horse, and with arms almost as long as tacklepoles" to calf sized spirits, trailing chains and led by a demon known as Owd Hob. They also apparently have shrill voices that cause animals to go mad, you might be able to use that for an interaction. They're also prone to anger, as many of these small English spirits are.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2018, 12:08:50 pm »

Hmm... Boggarts seem like they're gonna be a tricky sort.

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2018, 05:28:48 pm »

I don't think you can make a reaction specific to a caste, only to an entity. I don't know about the rain or seeing things die, but I think the hard code is against that. Also, how would you determine which caste a redcap is if they are only distinguished by the color of their cap? They aren't born with caps, so would it just be their color preference? Also, as far as I know lathe's are primarily for metal cutting, and seem a bit too advanced for redcaps, try carver's den or something similarly shoddily sounding. Also, are we planning on making the flower people a wee folk? Because if not I might just make them for myself.
They'd be distinguished by their hair colour, with red being the most common. Wood lathes are well within the technological capability of Redcaps as I understand then. Redcaps aren't like Goblins or Kobolds: Redcaps have good craftsmanship, but craftsmanship which is centred solely around killing utensils. While they will use wooden arms over their hands, they wouldn't arm their entire army with wooden weapons if they had the choice.

Here's some ideas for Shrubland Gnomes.
1. Shrubland Gnomes don't like to get their hands dirty. They "hire"(booze up) Mountain Gnomes to come by and labour for them. The Worker Gnome lends his muscles to build your fortress. He has innate skill in mining, masonry, building design, engraving, carpentry, furnace operating, wood burning, and farming(field). The Soldier Gnome, a veteran of many wars, can be hired in the same way. He has innate skill in fighting, archery and armour use. The House Gnome comes with great cooking knowledge, passed down by her mother's mother's mother. Mountain Gnome hirelings have a greater penchant for alcohol than wild Mountain Gnomes.
2. There could be a special, rare caste of Shrubland Gnome: the Leprechaun. Leprechauns are crazed, and are born fully grown. Slay the Leprechaun and it will drop a golden item of sorts. Perhaps a golden cup, pot, statue or sword. Woe be to the Gnome who travels with a Leprechaun.
3. Booze can be spiked with gnomeblight for devastating effects, and can be used to get rid of unwanted hirelings or pesky wild Gnomes. Other races will pay you exceedingly well for this Mountain Gnome repellent. Beware however, as gnomeblight booze will obliterate your fortress if you let it.
4. Wizards are one in a million children who are born with a magical spark to them. Wizards are as tall and as big as humans, but are born from Gnomish womb. Wizards have unparalleled magic power, and could be utilized to defend your fortress from invaders. Wizards have but one weakness: they are incredibly frail. They are born old and wrinkled, and grow older and physically weaker day by day. Unlike Leprechauns, wizards are not born fully grown. At any second a wizard could die of old age, be he a mere child or a thousand year old man.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2018, 07:14:30 pm »

Hiring of outside help in dwarf fortress is incredibly sporadic and is done through the tavern, and even when it does happen you can only hire mercenaries and performers. You could make some of that caste based, but having 'Mountain Gnomes' born from shrubland gnomes would get kinda weird, that and you wouldn't actually hire them. I didn't really know that there were lathes made specifically for wood shaping, so I guess I'm okay with that. I don't really feel like a human sized wizard really fits into the feel of this mod, but I don't see why a gnome sized wizard caste couldn't happen. I kinda think leprechauns should be their own civ, but you gave a pretty reasonable reason for them to be a caste. Also, maybe we could give vanilla mountain gnomes an overhaul to give them their own civ?

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2018, 07:46:08 pm »

Hiring of outside help in dwarf fortress is incredibly sporadic and is done through the tavern, and even when it does happen you can only hire mercenaries and performers. You could make some of that caste based, but having 'Mountain Gnomes' born from shrubland gnomes would get kinda weird, that and you wouldn't actually hire them. I didn't really know that there were lathes made specifically for wood shaping, so I guess I'm okay with that. I don't really feel like a human sized wizard really fits into the feel of this mod, but I don't see why a gnome sized wizard caste couldn't happen. I kinda think leprechauns should be their own civ, but you gave a pretty reasonable reason for them to be a caste. Also, maybe we could give vanilla mountain gnomes an overhaul to give them their own civ?
By hire, I mean like pets. That's effectively what the Worker Gnomes would be: a pet with three castes, two male and one female, that is set up so it can perform tasks. Other mods have similar such creatures, and even standard DF has the Gremlin mayors. In general, I think Shrubland Gnomes should be the more fanciful player race, which is why I suggested them being able to birth physically-human wizards, as wizards do oft come from fairies and other sprites like Gnomes. Leprechauns don't have to be strictly the Gnome-born variant, as the Gnome-born variant is more a mischief spirit than an actual creature, so it might have a maxage of 1-2 years to prevent Leprechauns from going around in Gnome society. Perhaps Leprechaun isn't the best word for it, but I do like the image of Gnome babies being snatched away in the womb and replaced with clawed gold-snatchers sent to maim and murder. I like the dynamic that is created by there being four variants of Gnomes, with two wild Gnomes who prefer to frolic in the hills or dance in the wormy mounds, and two civilized Gnomes that often contact and make use of their older, savage kin.

Just tested some quick, patchwork Helper Gnomes. The Mountain Gnome traits make them clutch barrels upon going for a drink, disabling their productivity for some time. They begin with skill in poetry, singing, instrumentalism and dance, as well as having some poems learned by default. They need to sleep, drink, and I assume eat. You can conscript them into the military, assign rooms to them, and place them into noble positions. All I've done was clone the Mountain Gnome and give it the domestic tokens, so their behaviour can, and should be tweaked around a bit. Very interesting though, to say the least.
EDIT: They seem to clutch everything, including but not limited to: stones, eggs, beer, etc.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:47:09 pm by Melchizedek »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2018, 05:19:38 am »

I'm okay with making them pet workers, but if you just cloned the existing tags they's probably holding onto everything after they pick it up either because they have some of the pack animal tokens (which I don't think they do) or because they have the curious guzzler and curious item stealer tokens (which I know for a fact they do have, just get rid of everything that starts with CURIOUS).

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2018, 11:59:56 pm »

Decided to take a break from my major mod of Culture Shock and my in-progress apocalypse mod, Twilight of The World. It's time for my other mods to get a while in the limelight again. Starting with this one.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2018, 10:43:20 am »

Hmm, I would say that dwarf variants would count as wee folk as long as they are different enough from normal dwarves to have their own identity. I forget if it was mentioned earlier or not, but what do you have in mind for dwarf variants?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2018, 11:03:51 am »

Actually, I wasn't gonna start thinking about ideas for dwarflike wee folk until I got a big ol' answer from the poll.

Anyway, I looked about and found a Hawaiian dwarf like creature called the Menehune. If you wanna research it a bit and see if any ideas for them come up, that'd be just fine.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2018, 09:07:09 pm »

Beginning work on this again. Just finished up the Menehune development. I'll release an update when I finish up the Boggarts and Duhindu. Also got halflings to finally expand.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:09:51 pm by Asin »

BinaryBlackhole

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Wererats in the Walls
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2018, 05:46:58 pm »

Do not add feegles.
We don't want those war mongering alchaholics.
In case you don't know feegles are a creation of Terry Pratchett and are in the the books following Tiffany Aching. They are rowdy, ill mannered drunk and have terrible hygine. Also they can get anywhere, which is most annoying when they come back from being dead.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2018, 07:20:02 pm »

The gnome picks don't function as picks in fortress mode unless you change their skill to mining.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7