Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: {0.4} The Wee Folk Mod! (44.xx)  (Read 36724 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: The Wee Folk Mod! (44.02)
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2017, 08:53:41 pm »

You could just have it spit a glob, and call that glob "glob of congealed fish" or "glob of compacted fish". Anything more than that probably isn't needed, unless you want to go the extra mile.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2017, 04:26:44 pm »

You can try trailing item flow using raw fish as the item.  It probably won't work, and definitely will be useless.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2018, 06:11:54 pm »

Hey, guys. I know this mod hasn't been too active... Well, I have good news!

The Redcaps have just finished development!
Now all I gotta do is test them out. If all is well, expect the Redcap update to come tonight!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Wee Folk Mod! (44.05)
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2018, 09:00:35 pm »

0.3 has been released.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2018, 09:03:02 pm »

It says they'll eventually have major differences for fortress mode, what do you plan for those to be?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2018, 09:19:27 pm »

It says they'll eventually have major differences for fortress mode, what do you plan for those to be?

That's what I was just gonna talk about...

What would you and other people add to the Shrubland Gnomes and Redcaps to make them different from Dwarves and each other in Fortress Mode? I need ideas...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:22:05 pm by Asin »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2018, 10:31:40 pm »

I just did some research on redcaps, and wow, they're more brutal than I thought they would be. Apparently they soak their red caps in the blood of their enemies. If you can somehow work out a mechanic to soak items in blood that would be a great feature. They also have long teeth and claws literally described of being that of an eagle. In addition to their red caps they also use iron boots and pikestaffs as weapons. The pikestaff shouldn't be too hard, but can you use footwear as a weapon in dwarf fortress? Maybe you could just have a handheld weapon called 'iron boot' that when used it says 'redcap stomps (enemy) in the (body part) with his +iron boot+'. They are said to hurl large stones down at people who pass by, you could either make a stone hurling weapon or give them an interaction that allows them to fire a glob of (throw) a rock. Having a people with a natural range attack is always a lot more unique of an experience than you'd think it would be. If you hold up a cross and read certain scriptures they'll disappear in a puff of flame and only leave a tooth. Maybe instead of leaving a corpse you could have them only leave a tooth? I don't know how much that would do for game play, but it would be an interesting flavor thing. They're also really strong for their size. They also make really loud grinding noises to piss people off, maybe you could give them a sound based interaction that causes people who hear it be more prone to rage. They soak the foundation stones of their castles in human blood, maybe they could have a unique weapon material 'blood soaked/infused stone' where they take a corpse or an animal and combine it with a stone in an interaction to make a decent weapon material. They capture people for sacrifice, I'm sure there's a lot of sacrifice stuff you could do. I can't find what they exactly sacrifice to, but they sacrifice to something. There's also the possibility to create castes for the redcaps because they have a lot of different regional depictions. Perthshire redcaps are more benign and are even said to bring good luck to those who hear them, and the kabouter (I could do more research on them specifically if you like the caste idea) is almost a completely different third thing. Apparently the redcaps also have a tendency to wrap people in lead before boiling them alive, maybe a molten lead weapon or something?

For future wee folk I have also found:
trooping fairies (there's a good deal of fairies attached to this one)
bluecaps
far darrig
nain rouge
Saci (this one's really weird when you think about it too much)
pukwudgie

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2018, 10:47:39 pm »

I just did some research on redcaps, and wow, they're more brutal than I thought they would be. Apparently they soak their red caps in the blood of their enemies. If you can somehow work out a mechanic to soak items in blood that would be a great feature.

They also have long teeth and claws literally described of being that of an eagle. In addition to their red caps, they also use iron boots and pikestaffs as weapons. The pikestaff shouldn't be too hard, but can you use footwear as a weapon in dwarf fortress? Maybe you could just have a handheld weapon called 'iron boot' that when used it says 'redcap stomps (enemy) in the (body part) with his +iron boot+'. They are said to hurl large stones down at people who pass by, you could either make a stone hurling weapon or give them an interaction that allows them to fire a glob of (throw) a rock. Having a people with a natural range attack is always a lot more unique of an experience than you'd think it would be.

If you hold up a cross and read certain scriptures they'll disappear in a puff of flame and only leave a tooth. Maybe instead of leaving a corpse you could have them only leave a tooth? I don't know how much that would do for game play, but it would be an interesting flavor thing. They're also really strong for their size.
They also make really loud grinding noises to piss people off, maybe you could give them a sound based interaction that causes people who hear it be more prone to rage. They soak the foundation stones of their castles in human blood, maybe they could have a unique weapon material 'blood soaked/infused stone' where they take a corpse or an animal and combine it with a stone in an interaction to make a decent weapon material.

They capture people for sacrifice, I'm sure there's a lot of sacrifice stuff you could do. I can't find what they exactly sacrifice to, but they sacrifice to something.

There's also the possibility to create castes for the redcaps because they have a lot of different regional depictions. Perthshire redcaps are more benign and are even said to bring good luck to those who hear them, and the kabouter (I could do more research on them specifically if you like the caste idea) is almost a completely different third thing. Apparently the redcaps also have a tendency to wrap people in lead before boiling them alive, maybe a molten lead weapon or something?

For future wee folk I have also found:
trooping fairies (there's a good deal of fairies attached to this one)
bluecaps
far darrig
nain rouge
Saci (this one's really weird when you think about it too much)
pukwudgie

Tell me about the Kabouter and those Bluecaps...

As for the other things...

I talked about the soaking their hats in blood thing in their description. For this take on redcaps, I made it a legend the other races talk about.

This take on redcaps do have special pikes I made for them. I forgot about the pikestaff, so I called their exclusive pike "flesh-piercers".

The blood soaked stone could work mixed with the sacrifice idea...

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2018, 11:07:06 pm »

Blue caps apparently are mining spirits that manifest as a small, living blue flame. They neither wear blue caps or have anything to do with red caps. They can lead a miner to rich ore, will actively work in a mine alongside men, and expect a payment for a hard day's work. Not a whole lot on them, maybe we could make them a cavern dweller or something.

Kabouters are tiny people who live underground often in the side of hills, modern interpretations are said to live in mushrooms (they are VERY small). They have long beards and large pointed red caps almost bigger than they are. They can help around the house, but are very defensive of their privacy. They harshly punish those who see them when they don't want to be seen. There is currently a theory that these creatures were first devised by hallucinations from consuming hallucinogenic mushrooms. They are said to be the creatures that taught the dutch how to create sound house foundations and the iconic dutch wooden shoes. There's actually not a whole lot too them, maybe a race of very small xenophobes? Some custom workshop stuff with 'mushroom houses' or 'hallucinogenic mushrooms' would be cool, or at least the ability to make wooden shoes.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2018, 11:16:21 pm »

Blue caps apparently are mining spirits that manifest as a small, living blue flame. They neither wear blue caps or have anything to do with red caps. They can lead a miner to rich ore, will actively work in a mine alongside men, and expect a payment for a hard day's work. Not a whole lot on them, maybe we could make them a cavern dweller or something.

Kabouters are tiny people who live underground often in the side of hills, modern interpretations are said to live in mushrooms (they are VERY small). They have long beards and large pointed red caps almost bigger than they are. They can help around the house, but are very defensive of their privacy. They harshly punish those who see them when they don't want to be seen. There is currently a theory that these creatures were first devised by hallucinations from consuming hallucinogenic mushrooms. They are said to be the creatures that taught the dutch how to create sound house foundations and the iconic dutch wooden shoes. There's actually not a whole lot too them, maybe a race of very small xenophobes? Some custom workshop stuff with 'mushroom houses' or 'hallucinogenic mushrooms' would be cool, or at least the ability to make wooden shoes.

The Kabouter are interesting... I like the xenophobe idea you came up with.

Mind telling me of some of the other potential wee folk?
Mainly the Nain Rouge, which hails from Michigan. I wanna hear how you'd turn it into a full fledged race.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2018, 03:48:48 pm »

Admittedly I didn't do a whole lot of research on my suggestions before I suggested them. For the most part I just saw 'depicted as a small man' and thought 'good enough', but after some looking at that nain rouge I would say they would best be suited as a thieving/skulking race more deadly than kobolds. I think they should be faster and harder to detect than kobolds so that there's a much higher chance that they'll actually steal something and not get near the fort and then run away like kobolds usually do. I'm not sure if you're going for all the races to be playable or not, but I think that the nain rouge isn't really suited for that. I'll look into my other suggestions later.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2018, 07:11:24 pm »

Admittedly I didn't do a whole lot of research on my suggestions before I suggested them. For the most part I just saw 'depicted as a small man' and thought 'good enough', but after some looking at that nain rouge I would say they would best be suited as a thieving/skulking race more deadly than kobolds. I think they should be faster and harder to detect than kobolds so that there's a much higher chance that they'll actually steal something and not get near the fort and then run away like kobolds usually do. I'm not sure if you're going for all the races to be playable or not, but I think that the nain rouge isn't really suited for that. I'll look into my other suggestions later.

Not all of the Wee Folk are going to be playable. Only the Shrubland Gnomes and the Redcaps will be playable for now. Halflings, maybe.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2018, 07:19:11 pm »

Well, if you aren't for the nein rouge being a skulking civ, maybe you can just have them have the curious tags and make them like gremlins. Alternatively, you could have them be an underground civ. Wait, can you have a skulking underground civ? I haven't seen any example of one before, but if you can that would be pretty cool.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2018, 07:21:01 pm »

Well, if you aren't for the nein rouge being a skulking civ, maybe you can just have them have the curious tags and make them like gremlins. Alternatively, you could have them be an underground civ. Wait, can you have a skulking underground civ? I haven't seen any example of one before, but if you can that would be pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure that cannot be done. The underground skulking civ thing, I mean.

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2018, 05:07:57 pm »

hey asin can i use your wee folk mod for my modpack, i'm making a HUGE community developed modpack for DF and i thought it would be pretty cool to add your mod to my modpack, right i am finishing up the first release so that the modding community could add their own mods and help me out with this modpack.
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7